Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ripperologist #31, October 2000 issue question ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ripperologist #31, October 2000 issue question ...

Hi gang...
    I am not a Ripperologist subscriber yet, but could someone please tell me the origins of the cover photograph on this issue? I know what it is 'supposed' to be, but what (or where) is it really? I have not seen this picture before. It's not the real door, correct? Movie set?
    Thanks. Great picture.
    Chris

Hi Chris. You're not specific, but if memory serves me, that issue featured the door of 13 Millers Court on the cover. Yes, that's the real door, photographed by the police in 1888.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Yes, Tom, you are correct - it is the door. I did not realize that the original door was ever photographed like this. Is there a way to get a copy of that? Was this taken after the room went vacant, or shortly before?

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

Hi Chris. There are two exterior photos extant as well as the two interior photos, presumably all taken on the same day. You can see them all by clicking the 'Photo Archive' link to the left of this page and viewing the Kelly archive.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi chaps,

I'm not sure about all of this, but I am off out to watch the football in a minute, so perhaps someone else could help out?

Regards,

Mark

Comment

It's not the real 13 Millers Court but a studio set from the movie 'From Hell'.

Rob

Comment

We'll try to struggle on without you, MWR.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I`m stayin in to watch it so if I remember correctly the police boarded up the windows before they left, and the sun was down at 17.00 hrs, so the photographs must have been taken in the early afternoon. If the same guy took all the photos then the interior shots must have been taken early in the afternoon before the medics started putting things back. Then setting up outside at the request of Dr Phillips, so that they had photos of the windows for the Inquest.I think ...

Comment

Is that true, Mr. Clack? I was thinking it might be.

Tom, I went to the Kelly archive and could not see the photos (other than the crime scene ones) to which you refer... Am I missing something??

Thanks all for your help.
                  Chris

Comment

Also, I don't suppose it matters much, but the IMDB lists 2001 as the 'From Hell' release date. But surely the set could've existed prior to the film's release. So was the cover of that Ripperologist volume meant to be sort of a 'Tantalizing Suggestion' of the film to come later in the year??

Comment

Hmmmm... I wonder if Robert McGlaughlin will see this thread, and offer his opinion.

Comment

On the inside cover it says it's a set from the film. There are also other photos of the sets used in the same issue, Christchurch/Ten Bells.

Rob

Comment

Hi Chris. It would help if I had my copy of Rip 31, but they're in storage, so perhaps the Clackmeister is right in that it's from the movie 'From Hell'. He doesn't post a whole lot, but when he does, he's usually right on the money. We saw lots of images from the film before it's release and Stewart Evans was historical advisor on the film. I remember him sending me pics of him with Depp and the Hughes Brothers. Being a huge fan of both, that was a rare moment of envy for me! Johnny Depp went on to name his son 'Jack'. But I digress...

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

This is the link to the photo - you would have to ask Adam Wood as to whether this was a genuine photo or a mock-up.

Coral

Comment

Originally posted by Tenth Bell View Post
                              Hmmmm... I wonder if Robert McGlaughlin will see this thread, and offer his opinion.
                              Rob Clack is correct as usual. Also of note, as part of the special features on the From Hell DVD, is a tour of the set. And yes, it was built in the Czech Republic quite a bit ahead of its 2001 release date.

Cheers,

Robert

Comment

Working...
                              X