Google News Archive Search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google News Archive Search

Google's News Archive Search now covers a reasonable number of old newspaper articles, and I wanted to be a bit more organised in trying to keep track of what's there. I thought it might be useful to provide some pages of links arranged by newspaper - similar to the index pages for the press reports on Casebook - and also some pages arranged chronologically.

The pages cover just over 3600 articles containing either the phrase "Jack the Ripper" or the phrase "Whitechapel Murders" up to 1960, and can be found here:

Though Google has its own small collection of digitised newspapers, the index mainly covers other online collections. About 99% of the articles come from five sources:
    (1) The National Library of New Zealand (providing about 60%)
    (2) ProQuest Archiver (about 20%, though nearly all these are pay-per-view)
    (3) The National Library of Australia (about 10%)
    (4) The New York Times (about 7%)
    (5) Google's own collection (about 4%).

Of course, a lot of these articles don't actually relate to the murders, but just contain a passing reference to "Jack the Ripper", perhaps in relation to a similar crime, and a lot of them are just brief summaries of material that's already well known. There's also a lot of repetition. But no doubt there will be some interesting articles buried among all the others.

Thanks for this link Chris, I had never heard of the Google News Archive but a quick search this morning brought up some great little finds. I had previously been using the British Library's Newspapers online which is a great resource too.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Working...
    X