Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Sam Flynn 36 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - by drstrange169 52 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - by drstrange169 1 hour and 3 minutes ago.
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - by Michael W Richards 7 hours ago.
Rippercast: Tumblety: The Hidden Truth - by jmenges 9 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Herlock Sholmes 9 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Blood oozing - (26 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (16 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential: Fanny Mortimer - (3 posts)
Rippercast: Tumblety: The Hidden Truth - (2 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2017, 10:36 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Oh, for Heaven's sake, Mr. Patterson, the information about Thompson's family and background, including his failed attempts at becoming a doctor-- as well as a Catholic priest-- are in those encyclopedia articles I linked to in an earlier post.
You know, I hope, that encyclopedias rely on facts, not myths.

I'm a Catholic, and a librarian, and have read other articles from the Victorian time period, and I feel reasonably sure that his writing about the poor of Spitalfields and Whitechapel and how awful the life was for the children is in keeping with the period

However, I will admit that the comment that his poem about the "witch-babies" stemmed from an opium dream is a guess, but it is an educated one, given that we know he was an addict.
You are fortunate to be a librarian with so many books at your ready disposal. Perhaps you could read one on Thompson. You might want to start with.

“Francis Thompson. A Critical Biography.” Paul Van Kuykendal Thomson’s 1973 book.

You have written, ‘Thompson attended six years of medical school because his father was a doctor who wanted him to follow in his footsteps.’

On page 30 of “A Critical Biography,” Anyone can read.

“It seems quite clear from what he later told Wilfrid Blunt that Thompson was in no sense placed in the position of having to agree to a stern paternal insistence that, having failed to become a priest, he should follow Dr. Thompson’s professional example. On the contrary, it appears to have been his mother’s wish that since her son could serve at the alter of God, he should choose “the next best thing” and serve God’s afflicted creatures.”

Your claim, that the poet’s training as doctor was his father’s wish, is not a fact.

I note that you think it is a fact Thompson had no real interest in becoming a doctor.You think it is a fact that Thompson's rhetoric is not unusual for the time-period.

You might want to check your sources and where they have gained their information or you could save yourself the effort and just read my book.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:57 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
You are fortunate to be a librarian with so many books at your ready disposal. Perhaps you could read one on Thompson. You might want to start with.

“Francis Thompson. A Critical Biography.” Paul Van Kuykendal Thomson’s 1973 book.

You have written, ‘Thompson attended six years of medical school because his father was a doctor who wanted him to follow in his footsteps.’

On page 30 of “A Critical Biography,” Anyone can read.

“It seems quite clear from what he later told Wilfrid Blunt that Thompson was in no sense placed in the position of having to agree to a stern paternal insistence that, having failed to become a priest, he should follow Dr. Thompson’s professional example. On the contrary, it appears to have been his mother’s wish that since her son could serve at the alter of God, he should choose “the next best thing” and serve God’s afflicted creatures.”

Your claim, that the poet’s training as doctor was his father’s wish, is not a fact.

I note that you think it is a fact Thompson had no real interest in becoming a doctor.You think it is a fact that Thompson's rhetoric is not unusual for the time-period.

You might want to check your sources and where they have gained their information or you could save yourself the effort and just read my book.
Hello Richard,

I seem to remember that you previously noted that Thompson's landlady died in a fire that he had started, and when asked why he had made no effort to rescue his response was something like, " One doesn't tarry when the house is burning down". Is this correct?
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 PM
Detective

Hello John,

No, but I can see why you might thing so. I think I noted,

-He left his landlady to die in that fire and later jested about it. Of the fire, a business associate, Lewis Hind, asked Thompson, ‘But Francis, did you not rouse your landlady?’ Thompson’s reply was typical of his callous view on outsiders. ‘My dear Hind, a house on fire is no place for tarrying.'-

I did not mean that literally his landlady died. I mean it in the sense of someone who might say, 'and then they took the kayak off me and left me to die on the river bend.' Sorry for the confusion. I think if the landlady had actually died, then Thompson would have faced some sort of criminal charge. I'm not a lawyer so I can not say if leaving his landlady to die (even though she didn't) is in itself a crime.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Old 05-23-2017, 12:41 AM
Chief Inspector

Alice and Wilfred Maynell befriended the destitute starving poet,and took him into their home.I believe Alice wrote poetry.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:09 AM
Chief Inspector

There is absolutely no grounds to suspect Thompson, let alone definitively state that he was the Ripper. But don't let the facts get in the way of vainglorious self-promotion!