Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just where was 29 Hanbury Street.............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    Hi SC

I had to check myself, and found this from The Star 8th Sept:

"PAYING TO VIEW THE SCENE.
    For several hours past the occupants of the adjoining house have been charging an admission fee of one penny to people anxious to view the spot where the body was found. Several hundreds of people have availed themselves of this opportunity, though all that can be seen are a couple of packing cases from beneath which is the stain of a blood track. "

Comment

I wonder what the front of 29 looked like back in the day. Of course I have seen all the old photographs showing the two doors, the right to the shop and the left to the corridor, but in some contemporary sketches I see a single door with the shop windows with blinders to the right of this single door.

Which one is the correct? Did 29 look pretty much like on the old photographs or not?

/Johan

Comment

Originally posted by Windh View Post
        I wonder what the front of 29 looked like back in the day. Of course I have seen all the old photographs showing the two doors, the right to the shop and the left to the corridor, but in some contemporary sketches I see a single door with the shop windows with blinders to the right of this single door.

Which one is the correct? Did 29 look pretty much like on the old photographs or not?

/Johan
        According to John Davis there was a window and a single door (to the passageway) at the front of the house.
        There was also a dilapidated sign over, advertising Mrs Richardson's packing case business in white paint.

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
          I'm also still confused as to which properties the occupants were charging people to view the scene from?
          According to the Penny Illustrated Paper, "the neighbours on either side did much business by making a small charge to persons who were willing to pay it to view from windows the yard in which the murder was committed".

Comment

Missed this thread first time round

For any who are interested the map below shows outbuildings 1893-96

29 is the building 4 along to the left as you look at it from Barbers Yard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	canvas1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	666965

steve

Comment

Nice one Steve.
              According to Davis again, at the far end of the yard (looking from the back door) there was a shed for wood in the left corner and a 'closet' in the right. The woodshed may have moved by 1893 though.

Ps how do you resize the attachment without losing detail?

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                Nice one Steve.
                According to Davis again, at the far end of the yard (looking from the back door) there was a shed for wood in the left corner and a 'closet' in the right. The woodshed may have moved by 1893 though.

Ps how do you resize the attachment without losing detail?
                Joshua,

As you noticed it's an embedded attachment not an inserted image.
                Process I use is to download, it comes as a .png. I use gimp but Photoshop works the same, to crop to the essentials check the image properties it may be ok to upload but probably too big. If so I resize it and save as jpeg so I get some control of image quality and deminsions.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X