Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life in 1888

Hi,

First time poster, but I have been interested in JTR since watching the Michael Caine and Lewis Collins mini-series and Time after Time about H.G Wells chasing JTR across time, when i was a kid.

I am a published writer and I am researching a fictional story that I am thinking about writing about JTR involving demons, possession etc.

I want the atmosphere to be as authentic as possible about life in the East End in 1888, I have the following books including:
    The People of the Abyss by Jack London
    Jack the Ripper and the East End
    The Worst Street in London

Any other books people could recommend about life in the East End at that time?

Note: I apologise for putting this in the wrong section I have just realised it should be in non-fiction. Moral of the story is don't drink wine during Sunday lunch.

Cheers
    Last edited by Det_Adams; 09-14-2014, 11:00 AM.

Hello there. I joined this forum recently for the same reasons. I am currently writing a fiction about the Automn of Terror, but I take a different angle than yours. I look at it more like what James Ellroy did with the JFK assassination in American Tabloid. I wish I as talented as Ellroy...

So far, these books have helped me a lot (with those you already have at your disposal)

Jack the Ripper and the London Press, by L Perry jr
    1888 The London murders in the year of the ripper, by Peter Stubley

You can also look at the Twitter feed @WChapelRealTime: it's from a London historic society who, in 2013, recreated the timeline as if Twitter existed.

if you want to go throught the esoteric lane, you might want to look at the occult people of the time, there is a document by Aleister Crowley.

There is also plenty of stuff on this website itself.
    If you speak French, I also recommend
    Retour à Whitechapel. A 50/50 fiction about someone tracking Jack's accomplice.
    (Michel Moatti)
    Le Livre Rouge de Jack L'Éventreur. (Stéphane Bourgoin) It's a non fiction, written in the early 90's. The first half of the book is about the facts, with some interpretation of course, and the second half is about the fictions written around JtR.

Good Luck.
    Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
    - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

you might want to look into Robert Donston Stephenson, alias Roslyn D’Onston.

It's also the subject of Crowley's pamphlet.
      - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Hi SJF,

Thanks for you're reply, ill have a look at those books you mentioned. Many thanks for pointing at the other resources as well, sadly I can't speak French.

I have found a website about Aleister Crowley and D'Onston though this seems to point at Crowley as the Ripper??, but I will look for the documentary.

D'onston will be the focus of my research with regards to my story, as I want to put a dark demonic twist on to it.

All the best with your book.

Comment

Thank you.

The Stubley book is particularly interesting, as he focus on other areas and/or non JtR related murders. it gives a great perspective of crime and its perception.

It's also a good read. There is an electronic version of it.
          - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

You might want to track down a copy of Jack the Knife. It's a short story anthology, and has a couple of stories along supernatural lines, just in case there's any similar themes to what you're doing. It also contains The Lodger, which is a great theme-piece in itself.

Comment

HI Disco, thanks for that I have just brought Jack the Knife I look forward to having a read, so much research to do.
              Cheers guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Det_Adams View Post
                Hi,

First time poster, but I have been interested in JTR since watching the Michael Caine and Lewis Collins mini-series and Time after Time about H.G Wells chasing JTR across time, when i was a kid.

I am a published writer and I am researching a fictional story that I am thinking about writing about JTR involving demons, possession etc.

I want the atmosphere to be as authentic as possible about life in the East End in 1888, I have the following books including:
                The People of the Abyss by Jack London
                Jack the Ripper and the East End
                The Worst Street in London

Any other books people could recommend about life in the East End at that time?

Note: I apologise for putting this in the wrong section I have just realised it should be in non-fiction. Moral of the story is don't drink wine during Sunday lunch.

Cheers
                Hi Det_Adams!

Welcome to Casebook! In my opinion William J. Fishman's 'East End 1888' is a very good source for you. My copy was reprinted in 2009. First printed in 1988. It really gives a very well-rounded idea of life in the East End at that time.

Carol

Comment

Working...
                X