No announcement yet.

John Gill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver, that's a lovely and very poignant photograph. If it was taken in Bradford in 1888, it could even BE Johnnie Gill or one of his playmates... hard to believe anyone could be so sick and cruel as to do such horrific things to a little child.

Hi, Cap'n. I understand that Cutbush was a psychologically ill young man, but wouldn't a young man with the mental ability of a 7 or 8 year old boy be classed as not merely mentally ill, but also mentally retarded?
    Was Cutbush ever viewed as such?

I'll have to listen to your Podcast on Cutbush again;
    from what I've heard & read, I don't recall him being characterized in this way, but as I said, I'm not particularly knowledgeable about him.

Do you have any further info on TC or his whereabouts at the time of the Gill murder that you could share?

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
      but wouldn't a young man with the mental ability of a 7 or 8 year old boy be classed as not merely mentally ill, but also mentally retarded?
      Was Cutbush ever viewed as such?

Archaic
      The term that would have used at the time would have been "Mentally Defective" with a subheading of either an Imbecile, Idiot or just Feeble Minded.

There was also a further classification of High and Low Grade..

Comment

• Archaic, I just posted a case on another thread illustrating how people react with the demons in their head, or kitchen.
        I think we got to come to a place where we are able to recognise that an autistic child never really grows up, and is capable of unimaginable talent, and unbelievable ferocity when his fractured world is challenged by a simple event like someone invading his special place.

Comment

• Thread Link?

Hi, Cap'n. I'm not sure which thread of yours you are referring to; could you post a link?

The subject interests me; when I was in college, I had a summer job tutoring an Autistic 16 year old boy.

But from everything I know so far, Cutbush's odd penchant for 'stabbing ladies in the bum' sounds worlds away from what happened in Bradford.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• I bet he run rings round you, Archaic.
            You mentioned Cutbush, not me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
              My vague inclination at present - but I've got a whole load of more reading to do yet - is to see the hand of a genuine lunatic at work here, a young and sexually confused 'boy' atinkering with the inner workings of a universe he doesn't understand.
              And this is where I see a remarkable resemblence to some of the Whitechapel Murders.
              Excuse me, Cap'n; I thought you mentioned Cutbush first. The post quoted above is from Page 9 of this thread.

I had never even thought of Cutbush in relation to the Bradford murder- but I assumed that's what you were suggesting in this particular post, which is why I asked you about it.

If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• No worries, Archaic, all just water under a strange bridge.
                Funny though that when Monro finally popped his service in 1890, the chief police officer present was Charles Henry Cutbush, and he was shaking the hand of Sir Edward Bradford, the new Commissioner, to whom Thomas Cutbush later appealed to about his treatment at Broadmoor.
                Funny thing.

Comment

• Question about Back Mellor Street Stable

Hi Silver; I am curious about the nature of the "stable" on Back Mellor St where the body was found.
                  I understand it belonged to the owner of the Dairy business; is that correct? Was this site a large "commercial" type operation?

Was it also like a "garage" where they stored additional milk-wagons?
                  And do you know anymore details about what sort of buildings it consisted of & how many employees would have had regular access to it in connection with their jobs?

Thanks, Archaic
                  Last edited by Archaic; 07-01-2009, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• 'nuffer one for Sam, this time close to home, from the Daily Telegraph, October 23rd 1888:

'A terrible murder is reported from South Wales. John Harper, aged five years, son of a tinplate worker, having on Saturday been missed from home, search was made, and at midnight his body was discovered in a wood disembowelled, and with his throat cut from ear to ear. He had previously complained that a butcher's assistant, named Thomas Lott, aged eighteen, had wished to undress him in a wood, and, on the latter being arrested, he confessed to the murder.'

Comment

• What happened next?

Hi, Cap'n; what happened with that South Wales case?
                      Was the butcher's assistant convicted?

It sounds horrible.

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• HMP as far as I remember, Archaic, so no conviction, but perhaps Sam can 'elp... e's from them parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cap'n Jack View Post
                          HMP as far as I remember, Archaic, so no conviction, but perhaps Sam can 'elp... e's from them parts.
                          Hi, Cap'n.
                          Do you mean he received a pardon based upon insanity?
                          Was he institutionalized?

Do you think he was actually guilty of killing that little boy, or do you think the killer was someone else who remained on the loose & might have also killed John Gill?

Thanks, Archaic

Comment

• 'ere's a little more detail on the murder near Swansea, from The Times, Oct 23rd 1888:
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Bump Up?

This thread had some good posts...IMHO!

Comment

Working...
                              X