25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
    Holocaust denial continues more than 70 years after the end of the Second World War, we just can't shake it, but just because there are some people who refuse to face facts, it doesn't mean that the Holocaust didn't happen.
    Oh dear, if the tired old Hitler diaries comparison doesn't get us all in the weekend mood, someone will always try the good old Holocaust denial stand-by to see if that can raise a chuckle.

John 11:35

[As Peter Birchwood used to say.]

Love,

Caz
    X
    Last edited by caz; 08-11-2017, 09:35 AM.
    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I just want to clarify this, not to re-open the entire discussion but because it could cause confusion in the future, possibly on other forums, if I remain silent.
      If you were to remain silent on the subject of one-offs for more than a day it would indeed cause no end of confusion.

At least it's marginally more tasteful than airing the subject of Holocaust denial on a thread about something infinitely less horrible.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Last edited by caz; 08-11-2017, 09:37 AM.
      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
        It shouldn't be, John.

Anyone with murder in mind who has access to some form of transport would do well to travel a little or a long way from home to commit his crimes where his victims of choice may be found in considerable numbers and where he is not a familiar figure known by name.

Colin Ireland travelled by train from the Essex coast to Fulham in London to pick up each of his five gay victims at the same pub. If he hadn't been seen with one of them on CCTV he might never have been caught.

It might be unusual, but it's an unusual game.

Love,

Caz
        X
        Hi Caz,

Colin Ireland is obviouly an excellent example of a commuter killer who focussed on one particular area. Similarly, if a suspect from outside of the area, who had access to transport, had a particular association with Whitechapel- such as they used to live there; relatives lived their; they worked there; they were known to frequent a particular pub-that I could understand (although parts of Whitechapel were such a maze I feel sure the killer must have had some local knowledge.) However, neither Maybrick or Bury had any such known associations.

Comment

Holocaust denial continues more than 70 years after the end of the Second World War, we just can't shake it, but just because there are some people who refuse to face facts, it doesn't mean that the Holocaust didn't happen.
          Of course, the point is not about Holocaust denial at all, I could have said 9/11 conspiracy theories, or the one-time obsession with Barack Obama's place of birth or any number of false arguments that have just gone on and on. Holocaust denial is nothing more than a good illustration that we can all agree on. The point is simply that because some people continue to argue a point, this in no way, by itself, validates that point. It is, in other words, a bad argument to say that "because people are still talking about the diary" this somehow means that there are good grounds that it is old or authentic. Make the argument that it is old or authentic by any means but don't make silly points to try and give the argument legitimacy.

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
            However, neither Maybrick or Bury had any such known associations.

Didn't Jame's brother live in (or near) Whitechapel?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaz View Post
              Didn't Jame's brother live in (or near) Whitechapel?
              Seriously, peeps, this is Naysaying at its worse (not your comment, obviously, Kaz!). Maybrick worked in Whitechapel 20 years before the murders, he had an association with the area through his work in 1888, he had his mistress and possibly his children there, and his brother was a hop, skip, and a jump away in Regent's Park IIRC.

None of this proves he was Jack the Spratt McVitie, but all of it shows us yet again how ill-informed posters can be and - taking The Orsamator's point - if it is left uncorrected it can soon regenerate as 'fact'.

Have a great weekend, folks. Caz, Leicester kick off against Arsenal at 8pm so I think the Blues must be playing some other - maybe a fake Leicester to go with your fake Beatles? A point at home to Spurs on Sunday is all I ask of this particular wet weekend ...
              Iconoclast
              Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Iconoclast View Post
                Seriously, peeps, this is Naysaying at its worse (not your comment, obviously, Kaz!). Maybrick worked in Whitechapel 20 years before the murders, he had an association with the area through his work in 1888, he had his mistress and possibly his children there, and his brother was a hop, skip, and a jump away in Regent's Park IIRC.

None of this proves he was Jack the Spratt McVitie, but all of it shows us yet again how ill-informed posters can be and - taking The Orsamator's point - if it is left uncorrected it can soon regenerate as 'fact'.

Indeed.

Come to think of it...some more, didn't he actually live in Whitechapel?

Comment

Have a great weekend, folks. Caz, Leicester kick off against Arsenal at 8pm
                  7.45pm, I believe. Wouldn't want anyone to miss any of the action!

Comment

Have a great weekend, folks. Caz, Leicester kick off against Arsenal at 8pm so I think the Blues must be playing some other - maybe a fake Leicester to go with your fake Beatles? A point at home to Spurs on Sunday is all I ask of this particular wet weekend ...
                    Twenty years is a considerable period of time, so is a tenuous link, particularly if he didn't work there on a regular basis. Which mistress? Anyway, here's a geographical profile which pretty much rules out Maybrick: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ler-lived.html
                    Last edited by John G; 08-11-2017, 10:59 AM.

Comment

Ah, you mean ex mistress. She was residing in Whitechapel in 1888, but according to William Beadle their affair had taken place twenty years earlier and seemed to have been restricted to Liverpool and Durham.

Tenuous to say the least!

Comment

Maybrick's... brother was a hop, skip, and a jump away in Regent's Park IIRC.
                        That's quite a hop. Regent's Park is a good one-and-a-half hours' walk away from Whitechapel.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                          Anyway, here's a geographical profile which pretty much rules out Maybrick: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ler-lived.html
                          I don't often agree with what I read in the Daily Mail, but I'll make an exception in this case. Whilst Kim Rossmo's geographical profile might not have clinched the argument, I don't think he's too far off-target.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Originally posted by caz View Post
                            Hi Paul,
                            Before Phil gets his knickers in another unholy twist, I trust you meant the first ripper book you read was Donald McCormick's, not the first one you wrote!

Otherwise you'd have a lot to answer for.
                            X
                            An honest answer about "The Eight Little Whores" would be sufficient.
                            Last edited by Hunter; 08-11-2017, 12:16 PM.
                            Best Wishes,
                            Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              I don't often agree with what I read in the Daily Mail, but I'll make an exception in this case. Whilst Kim Rossmo's geographical profile might not have clinched the argument, I don't think he's too far off-target.
                              Goodness me, Sammy, you have a short memory. The very first post in The Greatest Thread of All references this very piece of analysis (2008!) and uses it to advance the case against Maybrick due to the similarity in scale of relevance for Middlesex Street!

Talk about turning full circle ... and you were one of the first to respond to it!

Ike
                              Iconoclast
                              Materials: HistoryvsMaybrick – Dropbox

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                Yes, I would absolutely agree. Anyway, if he is right it would certainly have the effect of reducing the suspect list somewhat!

Comment

Working...
                                X