No announcement yet.

Favorite fictional early (before 1930) detective poll besides Sherlock Holmes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't believe the 1997 Saint movie was much of a success but I haven't seen it.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      Val Kilmer passed up additional Batman movies to make a Saint film in 1997. He apparently thought Templer was going to be a big box office draw.
      Or, maybe he thought it was going to be something like the next James Bond series.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I need to research to see which one of these was first to have a radio then TV program. Some already had their own movies by the end of the 1920s.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't see anyone surpassing Suchet, Hickson and Brett.

I thought Finney's accent was ridiculously guttural. I kept expecting people to dab themselves with hankies every time he spoke.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
            I don't see anyone surpassing Suchet, Hickson and Brett.

I thought Finney's accent was ridiculously guttural. I kept expecting people to dab themselves with hankies every time he spoke.
            I have told there was an early film of a Poirot story (in 1932 or so) with Charles Laughton playing the role. If so, has anyone seen it. He did play (I am sure of this) Inspector Maigret in the film "The Man On the Eifel Tower" with Franchot Tone and Burgess Meredith (1949).

Jeff

Comment

• Hi Jeff

This seems to have started as a play. A film version was made but, apparently, without Laughton :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibi_(play)

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                Hi Jeff

This seems to have started as a play. A film version was made but, apparently, without Laughton :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibi_(play)
                Thanks Robert.

Comment

• Does anyone know what Miss Marple's age is supposed to be? The actresses who play her seem to usually be in there 70s.

Stan Reid

Comment

Does anyone know what Miss Marple's age is supposed to be? The actresses who play her seem to usually be in there 70s.
                    I believe she is suppose to be 73 or 74.. If I am remembering correctly, I think they said how old she was in "At Bertram's Hotel" ( I think.. been a long time since I read any of these)

Steadmund Brand
                    "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

Does anyone know what Miss Marple's age is supposed to be? The actresses who play her seem to usually be in there 70s.
                      Pretty sure we are never actually told her age.

However she described as an elderly lady and a spinster.
                      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• What about Poirot's age? I read somewhere that Christie later regretted that she had made him a retired middle aged police police officer in her first novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' (terrific book) as it made him about 125 by the time he died in the 1960's.

If Poirot retired from the Belgian police force before the First World War it must have been at a remarkably early age, about 30 perhaps. He was certainly quite decrepit at the time of his last appearance, and no wonder!

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                          What about Poirot's age? I read somewhere that Christie later regretted that she had made him a retired middle aged police police officer in her first novel 'The Mysterious Affair at Styles' (terrific book) as it made him about 125 by the time he died in the 1960's.

If Poirot retired from the Belgian police force before the First World War it must have been at a remarkably early age, about 30 perhaps. He was certainly quite decrepit at the time of his last appearance, and no wonder!
                          I had read that quote from Dame Agatha.

And Curtain was published in 1975 though written much earlier. So nearly 60 years after Styles was set.

Now Hastings does say he was 30 in Styles so must have been 90 in Curtain, and Poirot was considerable older that Hastings.
                          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                            He did play (I am sure of this) Inspector Maigret in the film "The Man On the Eifel Tower" with Franchot Tone and Burgess Meredith (1949).
                            I think that film is in public domain so, if I'm correct, you can probably view it somewhere on the internet

Stan Reid

Comment

• Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Thanks Robert; that's actually a pretty good movie.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X