Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 11 minutes ago.
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - by Madam Detective 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Harry D 2 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Abby Normal 3 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Fisherman 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Sam Flynn 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (12 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (10 posts)
Elizabeth Stride: Elizabeth's murder and the double event - (3 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (2 posts)
Thompson, Francis: Francis Thompson. The Perfect Suspect. - (1 posts)
Witnesses: The Bucks Row Project part 2 - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 04-19-2016, 02:58 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
David,

If Pierre is about to suggest that being blurred the writing could be misunderstood by the witness's. the following must be answered first:

If it was blurred, does that not suggest that it was not fresh?

If it was blurred one reason would be it had been rubbed against by passers by.

If it had been rubbed by passers by this surely must have happened when the street was busy, then the writing almost certainly has no bearing at all on the murders as many have long argued.


However being blurred seems to go against the evidence of those who reported seeing it.
Pierre appears to be taking a second hand source, over that of the eyewitnesses, Swanson does not claimed to have seen the writing at anytime does he?
Once Pierre has performed some internal and external source criticism, analysed all the sources systematically and explained what perspectives, classifications and operationalisations of concepts from the sources he is using for his analysis then we may start to see things very differently Steve.
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-19-2016, 03:12 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Once Pierre has performed some internal and external source criticism, analysed all the sources systematically and explained what perspectives, classifications and operationalisations of concepts from the sources he is using for his analysis then we may start to see things very differently Steve.
He may try.
However its written in chalk, the witness's said in good schoolboy, so the style was clear.
If it is blurred, it is because it has been rubbed against or smudged. then it is not fresh, but old writing.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:30 AM
Geddy2112 Geddy2112 is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Orsam View Post
Check out post #2. Might contain a clue.
Welllll I did not really want to elaborate on the hunch that one person thought it said 'judges.' Might have been so blurry it said 'jumble.'
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Errata Errata is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee, U.S.
Posts: 2,937
Default

Well it was also raining a bit. That blurs things.
__________________
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:51 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,703
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errata View Post
Well it was also raining a bit. That blurs things.
Hi Errata,

that could be but i was under the impression that the writing would have been mainly protected from the rain.
however again it does suggest that the writing was not fresh.

Steve
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-20-2016, 12:59 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Elamarna;377798]
Quote:
Pierre appears to be taking a second hand source, over that of the eyewitnesses, Swanson does not claimed to have seen the writing at anytime does he?
No, you are making the wrong interpretation. My question was:

What could Donald Swanson have known about this?

Does anyone know anything about that question?


Regards, Pierre
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-20-2016, 01:11 PM
Elamarna Elamarna is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: South london
Posts: 3,703
Default

[quote=Pierre;377925]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post


No, you are making the wrong interpretation. My question was:

What could Donald Swanson have known about this?

Does anyone know anything about that question?


Regards, Pierre
Pierre fair question.

For Swanson to have said that obviously there are 2 options:

1. He was mistaken in that statement, could be a simple misinterpretation of a report as with this thread.

2. He either had a different written report to that which is known to exist, or he was informed it was blurred by a verbal communication which is not recorded.

I am not aware of anything specifically he could have been informed of for him to say this.

steve

Last edited by Elamarna : 04-20-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-20-2016, 01:14 PM
David Orsam David Orsam is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 6,932
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
What could Donald Swanson have known about this?
It's hard to say really Pierre. Swanson was a mere Chief Inspector in the Criminal Investigation Department of whom the Commissioner of Police said that he "must be acquainted with every detail" and that "He must have a room to himself, & every paper, every document, every report every telegram must pass through his hands." So it's a bit of a mystery as to what Swanson could possibly have known about the writing on the wall. Do you have any easier questions?
__________________
Orsam Books
www.orsam.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-20-2016, 01:48 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/decipherhttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/decipher[/url][quote=Elamarna;377927]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

Pierre fair question.

For Swanson to have said that obviously there are 2 options:

1. He was mistaken in that statement, could be a simple misinterpretation of a report as with this thread.

2. He either had a different written report to that which is known to exist, or he was informed it was blurred by a verbal communication which is not recorded.

I am not aware of anything specifically he could have been informed of for him to say this.

steve
Hi,

Sure, but I am trying to understand the statement, so I searched British Newspaper Archives for the word "blurred" and got an article about a blurred text and another about a blurred name - and in both these someone was trying to "decipher" some letters. So I searched

blurred decipher

only in 1888 and got some articles about people trying to decipher blurred texts and letters.

So from this empirical pilot we could hypothesize that Swansons statement has to do with a blurred text in Goulston Street and policemen trying to decipher it.

Decipher, meaning:

"to ​discover the ​meaning of something written ​badly or in a ​difficult or ​hidden way:
Can you decipher the writing on this ​envelope?"


(Source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/decipher)

So perhaps the issue, if we try to understand Swanson, was more complicated than it seems now, i.e. from the sources that are left to us.

Regards, Pierre

Last edited by Pierre : 04-20-2016 at 01:55 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-20-2016, 02:04 PM
Pierre Pierre is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 4,407
Default

[quote=Pierre;377934]http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/decipherhttp://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/decipher[/url]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post

Hi,

Sure, but I am trying to understand the statement, so I searched British Newspaper Archives for the word "blurred" and got an article about a blurred text and another about a blurred name - and in both these someone was trying to "decipher" some letters. So I searched

blurred decipher

only in 1888 and got some articles about people trying to decipher blurred texts and letters.

So from this empirical pilot we could hypothesize that Swansons statement has to do with a blurred text in Goulston Street and policemen trying to decipher it.

Decipher, meaning:

"to ​discover the ​meaning of something written ​badly or in a ​difficult or ​hidden way:
Can you decipher the writing on this ​envelope?"


(Source: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dict...glish/decipher)

So perhaps the issue, if we try to understand Swanson, was more complicated than it seems now, i.e. from the sources that are left to us.

Regards, Pierre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-4hL_T_KgU
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.