Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Pcdunn 4 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by MrBarnett 5 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by harry 6 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Sam Flynn 7 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (20 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (12 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (4 posts)
Conferences and Meetings: The East End Conference 2018: London - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 77 39.29%
NO 119 60.71%
Voters: 196. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #2641  
Old 10-13-2017, 12:47 PM
etenguy etenguy is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Good point, but I honestly doubt whether "IWMES" was ever used to refer to the Berner Street club. "Eye Double-You Em Ee Ess" doesn't exactly trip off the tongue. "Hey, Hymie! Do you fancy comin' down the Eye Double-Yew Em Ee Ess tonight for a sing-song?"

It would never catch on.
And yet it is fun to stay at the why emm cee aye.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2642  
Old 10-13-2017, 01:08 PM
Wickerman Wickerman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
...... "Hey, Hymie! Do you fancy comin' down the Eye Double-Yew Em Ee Ess tonight for a sing-song?"

It would never catch on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
And yet it is fun to stay at the why emm cee aye.
I think you two guy's are bored.

__________________
Regards, Jon S.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2643  
Old 10-13-2017, 01:21 PM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 9,475
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by etenguy View Post
And yet it is fun to stay at the why emm cee aye.
Nice one That said, YMCA has fewer syllables, and those it has trip off the tongue a little more easily.

On another tack, whilst we love our acronyms these days - to the point of obsession - I'm not so sure that they did back then, at least not to the same degree. To my mind it would more likely have been referred to as "the Berner St club", "the institute", or just "the club" to those in the know. Or, possibly - given the lingua franca of the clientèle - a Yiddish equivalent.
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2644  
Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 PM
etenguy etenguy is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
I think you two guy's are bored.

Never bored in your company, Wickerman - but typed during the adverts.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2645  
Old 10-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,194
Default

Back to the fundamental issue here...I believe a strong case could be made for the cloth and the writing to have been placed there at the same time, not that Long would likely have noticed only the writing his first pass by. It just seems that they were there together, or at least married by the killer when he chose a proximity to the cloth. They are intended to be a single message.

Is that message from Jack? Or is it from the guy who killed Kate, who may or may not be Jack. The only thing we really know is that he appears to be anti-Semitic.
__________________
Michael Richards
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2646  
Old 10-24-2017, 12:59 PM
Varqm Varqm is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 396
Default

The writer could easily have been somebody who did not want to get involved like Pipeman,Joe Fleming,an immigrant.
If the writer was innocent his/her graffito was useless to the case/series and had no need to report.All he/she'll get is possible
trouble because the writing was anti-semitic or easily understood as such.
__________________
Clearly the first human laws (way older) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied,ex. you cannot kill,
steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills).
M. Pacana

Last edited by Varqm : 10-24-2017 at 01:02 PM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2647  
Old 10-27-2017, 02:43 AM
Michael W Richards Michael W Richards is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varqm View Post
The writer could easily have been somebody who did not want to get involved like Pipeman,Joe Fleming,an immigrant.
If the writer was innocent his/her graffito was useless to the case/series and had no need to report.All he/she'll get is possible
trouble because the writing was anti-semitic or easily understood as such.
Not useless, because it would raise the question as to whether the writing was the reason the cloth was left at that particular spot, showing us, as you say, perhaps anti-Semitic sentiments from the man who left the cloth.

I think its quite probable that if the man who left the cloth didn't also write the message, he placed the cloth there in some sort of solidarity with the principle it espoused. I don't believe that is accidental or coincidental they appear in such close proximity to one another.

Which would raise an interesting question, if this man who wrote the message was also Kates killer, why wasn't he wreaking havoc on just Jews, or Jewish women? Is his anti-Semitism just another personality disorder?
__________________
Michael Richards

Last edited by Michael W Richards : 10-27-2017 at 02:45 AM.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2648  
Old 01-09-2018, 08:34 AM
martin wilson martin wilson is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 405
Default

I don't know if George Morris was on duty at Kearley and Tonge on the 29th November 1894, but if so he was on his usual top form, the entire place burned down.

I'm assuming it was him who prosecuted a shoemaker named Alexander Birke (A Petty Prosecution South Wales Echo 12/9/1888) for the theft of an empty champagne case.
Alderman Sir Andrew Lusk dismissed the case and released the prisoner.
Despite the protestations of Morris that he had known people prosecuted for the theft of a turnip, Sir Andrew stated the man was not known, there was no evidence he had stolen the packing case and anyway it was worth nothing!

I don't know if Mr Birke was Jewish.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2649  
Old 01-09-2018, 03:02 PM
Varqm Varqm is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W Richards View Post
Not useless, because it would raise the question as to whether the writing was the reason the cloth was left at that particular spot, showing us, as you say, perhaps anti-Semitic sentiments from the man who left the cloth.

I think its quite probable that if the man who left the cloth didn't also write the message, he placed the cloth there in some sort of solidarity with the principle it espoused. I don't believe that is accidental or coincidental they appear in such close proximity to one another.

Which would raise an interesting question, if this man who wrote the message was also Kates killer, why wasn't he wreaking havoc on just Jews, or Jewish women? Is his anti-Semitism just another personality disorder?
You're right but from an investigation point of view it's hard to make a case for either an innocent writer or not.Warren was correct in erasing the graffito because what if a riot occurred and later on it turned out to be an innocent writer?
__________________
Clearly the first human laws (way older) spawned organized religion's morality - from which it's writers only copied,ex. you cannot kill,
steal (forced, otherwise people run back to the hills).
M. Pacana
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #2650  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:37 PM
c.d. c.d. is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,506
Default

Ah the thread that refuses to die. For those just tuning in, our story so far -- the GSG may or may not have been written by Kate's killer. It may or may not express an anti-Jewish sentiment. The writer himself may or may not have been Jewish. As for what the message means nobody knows and guesses are welcome. Stay tuned for further developments but holding of the breath is not advised.

c.d.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.