Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Things British People Say Vs What We Actually Mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham View Post
    If I remember correctly, the first verse of 'Spanish Ladies' went:

"Farewell and adieu,
    "To you fair Spanish ladies.
    "Farewell and adieu,
    "To you ladies of Spain.
    "For we've received orders to sail for Old England,
    "From Ushant to Scilly is thirty-five leagues".

I don't know from what war or historical period this refers to, but the English Channel is certainly alluded to. Re: "Jaws", maybe both British and American sailors sang the same shanties at one time. Many American sailors served in the Royal Navy at Trafalgar, for example. A lot of old sea-shanties have lyrics that in 2015 are virtually untranslatable.

Back on thread - I lived in America for a few years in the 1970's, and one of my work colleagues once told me that when I said "Good morning!" to him, he wasn't sure if, in my British way, I was cordially greeting him or declaring war on him. So I changed that to a grunted "Oh, hiya!" and all was well.

Graham
    Bill Bryson, in his memoirs, said something like: I'd only been in England ten minutes and I'd been called love 3 times and mate just as much. It is a typically English thing to think everything has gone to the dogs, a sort of innately conservative attitude that no matter how good we have it, it was better some time ago; and this is nothing to do with a post imperial malaise, it has been the case for centuries.

We take for granted this special country and our unique people. Our obsession with tolerance and decency, and our instinctive attitude that whatever you wish to be you can be that person in England. We are very fortunate to be born in this country. We're a very warm people, who while perhaps cautious at first, make friends for life. This may not sound like much, but some people may be surprised by accounts of foreigners who are taken aback by the loyalty of the English and the depth of friendship with English people.

Comment

Thank you Basil Rathbone.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Now you mention it, Graham, I wonder if the song was of Spanish origin.
        As in setting sail as part of the Spanish Armada? Could be.

Another old shanty I really love is "Lowlands", and for years I thought this was English and was a reference to the wars with the Dutch. However, not long ago a learned friend told me it was actually American and that the 'Lowlands' in the song was Lousiana.

Graham
        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

What put me off about many American businessmen I met was their totally insincere smiles. May have fooled their compatriots, but didn't fool me.

Graham
          We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

There seem to be two or three versions of 'Lowlands.' In one, the bereft woman cuts off her hair. In another, she cuts off her breasts!

I did a look online and 'Spanish Ladies' seems to date from the late 18th century, at the time when Spain and Britain were allied against France.

Comment

When I was very young, there was a drama series about the Civil War. I remember enjoying it at the time, though it was way over my head. It seems to have been called The Americans but over here I'm sure it was called The Fighting Canfields.

Comment

What put me off about many American businessmen I met was their totally insincere smiles. May have fooled their compatriots, but didn't fool me.

Graham
                I'd imagine Americans are as capable as anyone else of determining when someone is being sincere.

If you read accounts of English people when the GIs were over during WW2, they held a certain perception of Americans due to watching films, but what they found was simple folk from small towns. They were generous and well liked, with the exception of the segregation policy they brought with them which saw running battles between white American soldiers and black American soldiers, with the locals giving black American soldiers a hand.

Apart from that, they were liked with no issues over 'sincerity'.

Comment

Graham, I think you'll probably find that it was the pristine teeth that gave that impression.

Comment

Maybe my comment wasn't too sincere, either.....

Graham

Comment

Maybe my comment wasn't too sincere, either.....

Graham
                      My favorite politician's comment at any meeting - spoken with that sincerity you have just mentioned: "And I'm here to help you!!"

Comment

Working...
                      X