Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 Things British People Say Vs What We Actually Mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GUT View Post
    Can actually be one of a couple of things:

A slice of cheese, sure even Yanks know what this is? with either and I know POMS people who eat both and call it the same thing [I think it depends on where in UK they are from].

Pickled onion [a bit like cocktail onion but usually a larger onion] sliced up : or

Mustard Pickles [basically a mix of vegetables prepared in a mustard sauce and bottled] also often eaten with meat, both hot and cold, of various types.

A sandwich is two slices of bread, often with butter, with a filing between them [in most places not a roll as Americans seem to often use and still call a sandwich, on a roll you would have a cheese and pickle roll].
    I have the concept of the sandwich down pretty pat (we do eat some on two slices of bread, but the roll is convenient too). ALso pickled onion is fine, as is pickled beets. But cheese and pickle? Even if the "pickle" refers to another item that was "pickled" the cheese does not thrill me. However, some American luncheon meats have bits of olives in them when sold. So who am I to complain about another country's tastes.

Jeff

Comment

Oh and I love baked beans on toast, just my arthritis doesn't.
      I never tried it, but it does sound filling and good for some reason - served with warm coffee for lunch or so.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
        I have the concept of the sandwich down pretty pat (we do eat some on two slices of bread, but the roll is convenient too). ALso pickled onion is fine, as is pickled beets. But cheese and pickle? Even if the "pickle" refers to another item that was "pickled" the cheese does not thrill me. However, some American luncheon meats have bits of olives in them when sold. So who am I to complain about another country's tastes.

Jeff
        Sorry Jeff wasn't trying to say you had know idea of a sandwich just pointing out the difference between a sandwich and a roll.

I know a few Americans who eat cheese and pickle [the pickled gerkin like MacDonalds seem to insist on putting on everything].
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I never tried it, but it does sound filling and good for some reason - served with warm coffee for lunch or so.

Jeff
          I though the good ole US of A was the home of the baked bean.

Breakfast

Lunch or

Diner

But never got the POM way of eating them with bacon and egg and Tomato.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Hi Jeff

Poor old Welles, I can sympathise.

On the other hand, I'm sure you've heard this :

A recording of the infamous frozen peas commercial involving Orson Welles.Struggling to fathom the copy he's being directed to read, he loses his patience an...

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Hi Jeff

Poor old Welles, I can sympathise.

On the other hand, I'm sure you've heard this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V14PfDDwxlE
              Hi Robert,

I believe that bit of business with the peas and Orson Welles was the basis of a segment on the old cartoon show "Pinkie and the Brain", with the Brain supposed to do a commercial and analyzing it to death.

There is another one where Welles was drunk himself while doing a commercial - not about peas.

Jeff

Comment

I though the good ole US of A was the home of the baked bean.

Breakfast

Lunch or

Diner

But never got the POM way of eating them with bacon and egg and Tomato.
                Actually I have never tried eating beans with fried or scrambled eggs. However I still occasionally put ketsup on my scrambled eggs.

That's nothing though. Richard Nixon apparently liked ketsup on his cottage cheese. :{

Jeff

Comment

Hi Amanda,

I know Brits like beans on toast, and I can accept that, but what in heaven's name is cheese & pickle?

Jeff
                  The question is, what kind of cheese goes with pickle, without ham or any other kind of lunch meat? Is it a kosher dill, or sweet pickle? Processed cheese or something better like Swiss?

And why is there no ham involved in this sandwich?
                  Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                  ---------------
                  Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                  ---------------

Comment

Actually I have never tried eating beans with fried or scrambled eggs. However I still occasionally put ketsup on my scrambled eggs.

That's nothing though. Richard Nixon apparently liked ketsup on his cottage cheese. :{

Jeff
                    Love ketchup [tomato sauce] on eggs, know a lot of people who have it on cheese [after all what's a pizza] but not too sure about with cottage cheese, but always thought there was something weird about tricky Dicky.
                    G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
                      The question is, what kind of cheese goes with pickle, without ham or any other kind of lunch meat? Is it a kosher dill, or sweet pickle? Processed cheese or something better like Swiss?

And why is there no ham involved in this sandwich?
                      Most I know tend to use one of the cheddar type varieties and as I said the POMS I know use either pickled onions or mustard pickles [think mustard sauce with small pieces of vegetables chopped in it] that sort does go exceptionally well with ham in my opinion.
                      G U T

Comment

Debate....

Hi Amanda,

I know Brits like beans on toast, and I can accept that, but what in heaven's name is cheese & pickle?

Jeff
                        Hi Jeff,
                        Well, there I was having a few Friday night glasses of wine totally oblivious to having caused a pickle debate.
                        Let me introduce you to a very unique British product:

The cheese & pickle sandwich in my area is a medium cheese ( Cheddar is good) with something called 'Branston' pickle, which comes in a jar & consists of carrots, onion gherkins, sugar, apples, vinegar & tomato.
                        It tastes great with cheese, ham, Turkey, beef...

Trust me, you're missing something wonderful
                        Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                          I've always wondered whether Americans saying 'Right' and hanging up is just something in movies or is it the usual custom?
                          Do Americans say 'goodbye'?
                          I know us Brits make such a kerfuffle of ending the conversation.

Will share a few sayings used by my other half:

1. Let's open our presents later (meaning : crap I forgot our anniversary and need to dash out & buy something)

2. I cleaned the kitchen this morning (meaning: I emptied the bin)

3. I fed the cat dear (meaning: the little **** was biting my nose at 5am, so I gave him food to get some peace)

4. No I Haven't (meaning: Oops, yes I have)

5. They were nice but.....(meaning : don't ever make me cheese & pickle sandwiches again)

Amanda
                          Omg, these are funny. Really made me laugh.

To be honest with you everyone says goodbye and I've never known ANYONE to say 'right' and hang up.

But, again, in the movies I have seen the English saying 'Right', as in 'Right then' meaning (I guess) well, so is that the way it's going to be.

For example in American Werewolf in London when the nurse asks the werewolf guy now in the hospital will he please eat and he says he's not hungry and she says 'Right then' and puts food in his mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello Barbara. Quite. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Accurate, lol.
                            Last edited by Beowulf; 02-28-2015, 12:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                              Hi Jeff,
                              Well, there I was having a few Friday night glasses of wine totally oblivious to having caused a pickle debate.
                              Let me introduce you to a very unique British product:

The cheese & pickle sandwich in my area is a medium cheese ( Cheddar is good) with something called 'Branston' pickle, which comes in a jar & consists of carrots, onion gherkins, sugar, apples, vinegar & tomato.
                              It tastes great with cheese, ham, Turkey, beef...

Trust me, you're missing something wonderful
                              Amanda
                              Mustard in yours Amanda?

My mum used to make sweet mustard pickles. very similar to what you describe but with the addition of mustard, love them.
                              G U T

Comment

Nope..

Mustard in yours Amanda?

My mum used to make sweet mustard pickles. very similar to what you describe but with the addition of mustard, love them.
                                Hi Gut,
                                No, there's no mustard in it. What you describe sounds like our piccalilli.

Branton pickle is a really dark brown colour & has quite a sweet taste.
                                Amanda

Comment

Working...
                                X