Lipski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well said, Phil H!

Hi Chainz. Do you happen to have $9 you can spare? Or the equivelant in your native currency?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I don't really want to subscribe to another magazine, maybe you could give me a brief overview here that would be cool.
      Jordan

Comment

I haven't read Examiner 2 yet (too busy, not too lazy), but I hope that the hypothesis that Pipeman was Le Grand is not SOLELY based on the fact that Le Grand smoked! And if he was Stride's killer, why did he allegedly moved AWAY from the scene, following Schwartz? Was he making sure that the witness was withdrawing?
        I've seen Le Grand's sketch, and he doesn't look in the least like Russel Crow, except that he was big.
        I thought that ChainzCooper's “interpretation“ was a very hilarious joke, until I realized that he means it seriously???
        PS.: Tom, you must be sick and tired of people asking you to send them your articles for free! (I can't think that you get any royalties for publishing online though. I get about 70-€ royalties per year, so I guess Cornwell makes more money than me...)
        Last edited by mariab; 07-18-2010, 06:06 AM.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

Nice to meet you too
          Jordan

Comment

Did Schwartz see the words being mouthed or did he only hear them? Could it have been Stride who shouted.It was after all,just the one word.

Comment

Of course, Stride shouted, "Kidney" - which sounds just like "Lipski!" to a Hungarian, especially when the person speaking is being throttled.

Comment

Lipski

If the man who was attacking Liz Stride did indeed yell 'Lipski' at Schwartz he must have recognised Schwartz as a Jew. If this is so, the attacker himself could not have been a Jew because a Jew would not have hurled this abusive term at a fellow Jew. Thus, if the attacker was Jack then Jack was not a Jew, Polish or any other kind. If Jack was a Jew, then the man seen attacking Liz was almost certainly not Jack.
                Last edited by Abberline2; 10-04-2010, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abberline2 View Post
                  ...the attacker himself could not have been a Jew because a Jew would not have hurled this abusive term at a fellow Jew.
                  ...or he might have if he was smart and thought people might think like you and wanted to deflect attention away from him being a Jew

Comment

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
                    My own view is that Kidney killed Stride out of jealousy and rage.

He'd either followed her or tracked her down (just possibly come across her by accident). he finds her with her new fella (who'd treated her nice, given her a bit of velvet material to make up, and been with her all evening.

The new fella is Jewish (Stride is said to have worked in a Jewish household and possibly to have spoken Yiddish).

Kidney tries to drag Stride back home (out of the yard) but she resists. Her Jewish fella either retreats at Kidney's approach, or had just left Stride. He pauses appalled by what he is seeing but perhaps because he is married or needs to be discrete, he is frightened about intervening.

Kidney knows who he is as he has seen Stride and the man together. Kidney calls out "Lipski" at the man - both taunting him along the lines of "No Jew is going to have/take my woman" and bringing to mind the Lipski case of only a few months before where a man killed his lover.

No proof, just supposition, but to me it brings together and fits quite a lot of the facts in the Stride case.

Now blow me out of the water, folks!

Phil

On the contrary Phil, I like this theory. I'm not convinced STRIDE was a Ripper victim, in the same way as I am I'm equally unconvinced that COLES was either. Domestic violence and throat cutting was nothing new in the Victorian East End. I believe that it is sheer coincidence that STRIDE met her end on the same night as EDDOWES. If I may take this one stage further and bring in the Goulston Street graffiti. I find it VERY hard to believe that having killed "two" women, Jack stopped to right something (that on the face of it doesn't make sense), knowing that every Bobby in the area was after him. Curious that he took the opportunity to wipe his knife clean in Goulston Street mind...............

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                      On the contrary Phil, I like this theory. I'm not convinced STRIDE was a Ripper victim, in the same way as I am I'm equally unconvinced that COLES was either. Domestic violence and throat cutting was nothing new in the Victorian East End. I believe that it is sheer coincidence that STRIDE met her end on the same night as EDDOWES. If I may take this one stage further and bring in the Goulston Street graffiti. I find it VERY hard to believe that having killed "two" women, Jack stopped to right something (that on the face of it doesn't make sense), knowing that every Bobby in the area was after him. Curious that he took the opportunity to wipe his knife clean in Goulston Street mind...............
                      What are the odds of two women having their throats cut within 45 mins of each other in under a mile radius? Had Stride's murder been an isolated incident in 1891 (like Coles) I'm sure she would've excluded from the canon, as well. However, the statistical significance of these two murders occurring in such close proximity cannot be so easily discounted.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                        What are the odds of two women having their throats cut within 45 mins of each other in under a mile radius?
                        ...in a densely-populated neighbourhood where people having their throats cut was somewhat "in fashion" at the time?

I once worked it out at some tens of thousands to one, which sounds impressive but isn't in the scheme of things. People win lottery prizes on a weekly/bi-weekly basis against longer odds than that.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
                          What are the odds of two women having their throats cut within 45 mins of each other in under a mile radius? Had Stride's murder been an isolated incident in 1891 (like Coles) I'm sure she would've excluded from the canon, as well. However, the statistical significance of these two murders occurring in such close proximity cannot be so easily discounted.
                          Look no further than Mr Brown Harry, on the so called Double Event night. 3 women had their throats cut that night, and 1 is in no way connected to any Ripper. That's proof positive that other women in East End London, during this period in time, had their throats cut without any Ripper involvement. Kate is obviously different, Liz isn't.
                          Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                            Look no further than Mr Brown Harry, on the so called Double Event night. 3 women had their throats cut that night, and 1 is in no way connected to any Ripper. That's proof positive that other women in East End London, during this period in time, had their throats cut without any Ripper involvement. Kate is obviously different, Liz isn't.
                            Hi Michael

Where on Flower and Dean Street did Mrs Brown live ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                              Hi Michael

Where on Flower and Dean Street did Mrs Brown live ?
                              Wasn't the Brown case in Holborn or Westminster? I believe Forbes Winslow wanted the authorities to take a look at that one [Brown] if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I'm not convinced the use of "Lipski" was directed as a Jewish insult. Israel Lipski's real surname was Lobulsk. Philip Lipski and his wife were the actual landlords of the property where Mrs. Angel was murdered at 16 Batty Street. Leah Lipski [Philip's wife] was attacked by Mr. Angel and two other men at a later date. I'm thinking if the term Lipski was used, it may have been directed at Philip Lipski as he would have lived very close to where Liz was murdered. Liz did work for the Jews and I'm wondering if she may have worked for the Lipski's in Batty Street at one time.

Comment

Working...
                                X