Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German immigrants to the east end.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German immigrants to the east end.......

Is anyone an authority on German immigrants to the east end?

I'm trying to research a family called Ritzler. What is interesting about them is that they arrive en masse then disappear, allow me to explain......

1871 we only have one in the whole country Bernard Ritzler who is living in Whitechapel.

1881 none listed.

1891 we have 9 (8 of which live in St George in the East and one in Holywell North Wales?) - Adrian (47) & Johanna (42) Catherine (0), George (4), Harry (2), Lorany (20) & Lousia (18). Joseph (32), lives in Wales.

1901 none listed

1911 none listed

I know Lousia married on the 1st June 1901 William BOSWELL at St John the Evangelist St George's East and by 1911 were living in St George in the East at 39 Batty Street. William had been a police constable stationed at Lemen Street, joining in 1900 he was still in H Division in 1902, but retired in 1907 from N Division. They had three children one of which was named after her mother and was born in Stoke Newington in 1908, but registered in St George in the East aged 3 in 1911.
    It would appear that they "arrived" sometime between 1881 and 1891, but then left again? Is there anyway of ascertaining when they arrived in the UK? I assume they either returned in German or perhaps went to the US at some point after 1891? Perhaps they anglicised their name, curious that Joseph also disappears too?

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    Is anyone an authority on German immigrants to the east end?

I'm trying to research a family called Ritzler. What is interesting about them is that they arrive en masse then disappear, allow me to explain......

1871 we only have one in the whole country Bernard Ritzler who is living in Whitechapel.

1881 none listed.

1891 we have 9 (8 of which live in St George in the East and one in Holywell North Wales?) - Adrian (47) & Johanna (42) Catherine (0), George (4), Harry (2), Lorany (20) & Lousia (18). Joseph (32), lives in Wales.

1901 none listed

1911 none listed

I know Lousia married on the 1st June 1901 William BOSWELL at St John the Evangelist St George's East and by 1911 were living in St George in the East at 39 Batty Street. William had been a police constable stationed at Lemen Street, joining in 1900 he was still in H Division in 1902, but retired in 1907 from N Division. They had three children one of which was named after her mother and was born in Stoke Newington in 1908, but registered in St George in the East aged 3 in 1911.
    It would appear that they "arrived" sometime between 1881 and 1891, but then left again? Is there anyway of ascertaining when they arrived in the UK? I assume they either returned in German or perhaps went to the US at some point after 1891? Perhaps they anglicised their name, curious that Joseph also disappears too?
    If I'm reading you right 1911 was the last mention of the name?

I would imagine the most likely considering the timeline is the anglicisation of the name....even the Royal family changed it's Germanic name due to the First World War.
    My opinion is all I have to offer here,

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by DirectorDave View Post
      If I'm reading you right 1911 was the last mention of the name?

I would imagine the most likely considering the timeline is the anglicisation of the name....even the Royal family changed it's Germanic name due to the First World War.

Good point Dave, overlooked the whole WW1 unpleasantness......

Would be interested to know whether they lived in St George in the East during the time of the Ripper. Is there anyway of confirming this do you think?

Interesting where the couple got married, I would assume that she wasn't Jewish?

Comment

Also curious as the 1901 Census was taken on the night of Sunday 31st March and as they didn't get married until June 1902 so she would still have had her maiden name. She still uses it on the marriage certificate?

Comment

Can anyone help me out?

I'd been interested to learn whether all the Ritzler's in fact lived at the same address and what that address was?

Also if it's not to much trouble what address Louise Boswell lived at and whether she is the daughter of William & Lousia?
          Attached Files

Comment

You have several possibilities.

1. Sometimes the enumerator mis-spelled the name as no one could read or write or sometimes it is mis-interpreted on Ancestry. I have an ancestor Arthur Easel whose name was mis-spelled from Eason and when it did appear on Ancestry it was mis-interpreted as Edsel and didn't appear on any searches.

2. They were anglicised. If these names are missing before 1914, Anglicisation might have occurred just to fit in rather than because of the First World War. The Royal family only changed the name from Saxe-Coburg Goethe to Windsor in 1917. My family name was Germanised in the 18th century as we had a German king but never anglicised back during or after the First or Second World War.

3. Sometimes families were just missed off as they all moved around rented accommodation.

4.Your family could have emigrated. Ancestry has records for immigration including passenger lists to New York.If you type in Ritzler for 1891 it's a common name.

Comment

Originally posted by Whitechapel View Post

1. Sometimes the enumerator mis-spelled the name as no one could read or write or sometimes it is mis-interpreted on Ancestry. I have an ancestor Arthur Easel whose name was mis-spelled from Eason and when it did appear on Ancestry it was mis-interpreted as Edsel and didn't appear on any searches.

2. They were anglicised. If these names are missing before 1914, Anglicisation might have occurred just to fit in rather than because of the First World War. The Royal family only changed the name from Saxe-Coburg Goethe to Windsor in 1917. My family name was Germanised in the 18th century as we had a German king but never anglicised back during or after the First or Second World War.

3. Sometimes families were just missed off as they all moved around rented accommodation.

4.Your family could have emigrated. Ancestry has records for immigration including passenger lists to New York.If you type in Ritzler for 1891 it's a common name.
              Many thanks Whitechapel, that's certainly given me something to mull over.

Just out of interest does Ancestry have birth certificates? I wonder if George was born in England? Would his birth certificate give an address? That would certainly confirm whether or not the family were in the east end at the time of Jack?

Comment

Originally posted by Whitechapel View Post

Have done a bit more digging focusing on the 1870-1890 period and the only births for the Ritzler family for the whole of the UK occurred in or around Whitechapel, Mile End, St George in the east area. Which I thought was interesting. Assuming their all related, they would appear to be a well established family in the east end.

So although Louisa Theresa Ritzler doesn't appear on the 1881 census, it does appear that she was born in 1877 in Mile End, although the 1911 census gives her year of birth as 1879, but born in Whitechapel?
                Last edited by The Station Cat; 11-26-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

So although Louisa Theresa Ritzler doesn't appear on the 1881 census, it does appear that she was born in 1877 in Mile End, although the 1911 census gives her year of birth as 1879, but born in Whitechapel? Not sure whether the 1891 census is the same person given her year of birth on that is 1873?

But either way it's a fair bet to say that Lousia and her family were living in Whitechapel at the time of Jack..........

Comment

In 1888 April Annie Ritzler was living at 5 Ellen place, (off Berner street).
                    This was from her Berner street Infant school record and her father was named as Adrian.
                    By 1901 they were living in Batty street (off Comercial road)
                    Annie was said to be born 13th Dec 1878.

Pat...........

Comment

In 1881 they are transcribed as Kitzler and living in Ellen Place .
                      It looks like Joannas mum Catherine Zoback is living next door. She is 61 and born in Wetzler Germauny . Also Adrian is a Hairdresser...

Pat...

Comment

In 1901 census the family are transcribed as Hetzler and they are living in 39 Batty street. Adrian is now a Chiropodist.

Pat...............

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                          In 1901 census the family are transcribed as Hetzler and they are living in 39 Batty street. Adrian is now a Chiropodist.

Pat...............

Paddy, many thanks indeed for these extra pieces of the jigsaw, they are all greatly appreciated!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                            In 1881 they are transcribed as Kitzler and living in Ellen Place .
                            It looks like Joannas mum Catherine Zoback is living next door. She is 61 and born in Wetzler Germauny . Also Adrian is a Hairdresser...

Pat...

1938 photograph of Ellen Place
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by The Station Cat; 11-27-2017, 04:26 AM.

Comment

Paddy, many thanks indeed for these extra pieces of the jigsaw, they are all greatly appreciated!!!
                              Your very welcome !
                              Pat....

Comment

Working...
                              X