Ripper Anatomy Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
    I believe the modern vernacular is hemetoma. The vicorian nomenclature seems to be a less than defined thing. Dave
    Thanks dave but I thought hametoma was bruising, these apparently were not bruises, but pressure marks.

Comment

• As far as i can discer they are the same. Celluar structure prohibits a skin only representation, and so requires a sub dermal signature. A faint one is, I SUPECT, a pressure mark. Dave
      We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Working off this

Here is what I come up with for victim necks off the ground sans shoes in a vertical position.

Methodology: since the body can be divided into 8 equal parts I have divided the Macnaghten victims heights by 8. This gave a value for each unit of each victim. Since the neck is contained in unit 7 chin to nipples, I have taken the value of 7 units of each victim and subtracted 2/3 of the value of 1 unit. This yields the span between the chin and 2/3 of the way to the nipples, or the neck approximately. ( all units in inches)

Vic height 1 unit 7 units’ neck
        M1 62 7.75 54.25 54.25-49.14
        M2 60 7.5 52.5 52.5-47.55
        M3 66 8.25 57.75 57.75-52.35
        M4 60 7.5 52.5-47.55

Dave

Comment

• This graph appears on page 39 of Poor Women's Lives byAndrew August. It reflects 1881 totals. Dave
          Attached Files
          Last edited by protohistorian; 02-05-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone in the class know what a steel mark on a hand might be? Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
              Does anyone in the class know what a steel mark on a hand might be? Dave

Oooo, me Sir, me Sir!

The marks left on the arms/hands by carrying out Millstone grinding.
              I think there's a well known saying that connects to this occupation too, 'Show your metal'
              I haven't time to check my research on this or I would. No doubt someone will google it and post if I'm wrong in the meantime.

Comment

• Thanks Debs! I mention it because the last person seen with Elizabeth Jackson is described as having steel marks. Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by Jane Coram View Post
                  And here's Alice Mackenzie. I Haven't done Frances Cole's injuries yet, but I probably will. I'm afraid Martha Tabram is impossible to even attempt as the descriptions were too vague.

Jane

xxxxx
                  But didn't Alice Mackenzie also have some cuts/stabs to the abdomen?
                  What's all this then?

Comment

• A well deserved resurrection for a casebook newbie.

Alice did have abdominal wounds but they seem be to described as either "not unduly deep" or "superficial scratches" which I assume is the reasoning for not being included in the C5

Comment

Working...
                    X