Casebook Examiner No. 1 (April 2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you

Thanks for my copy of the debut issue. I think giving out complimentary issues to Casebook members was a terrific idea and I look forward to reading mine.

Poor Don will probably sleep for a week now.

Thanks and best regards,
    Archaic

Comment

Finally, quoting a suggestion by British journalist and MP Henry Labouchere, Vanderlinden offered an alternative theory, suggesting that Andrews had, in reality, slipped off to Chicago to meet with Henri Le Caron…”
      R. J. Palmer, The Rise of Walter Andrews.

I found this interesting. A re-reading of my article, On The Trail Of Tumblety? Inspector Andrews Trip To Toronto, Part 2, Ripper Notes #24, will show that I never stated that Inspector Andrews “had” gone to Chicago or that this was the “reality.” I did suggest that as Andrews didn’t go to New York, and he didn’t, that he might have gone somewhere else in the U.S. and that he might have gone to Chicago to see Le Caron.

In fact, he couldn’t have seen Le Caron in Chicago at the time because, as Alan Sharp pointed out to me at the last Baltimore Conference, Le Caron was in England where he had rushed to the bedside of his dying father. It was some months after the conference that I discovered the likely reason why Inspector Andrews was in Montreal and where he went after (and I’d be very surprised if Mr. Palmer could say the same thing).

Other than that, a very enjoyable read. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Wolf.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf Vanderlinden
        It was some months after the conference that I discovered the likely reason why Inspector Andrews was in Montreal and where he went after (and I’d be very surprised if Mr. Palmer could say the same thing).
        Hi Wolf. Any chance we'll see a new controversial write-up by you in an upcoming Examiner?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Great Stuff

Hi Tom.

I've just read your article on Michael Kidney.

Great stuff.

But then I wouldn't expect any less from you.

Unfortunately, there is more chance of me winning the national lottery than there is of you getting through to Trevor and AP.

Still, there's no harm in you trying.

All the best.

DYLAN

Comment

Thank you to Tom, Stewart and Neil. But I've run out of things to say on the Ripper. All I can do now is ask stupid questions and make lame jokes.

Comment

This might be the most you've posted in one day! And you're full of doggie doo-doo, Scott. I'm sure you've got plenty of ideas you've never shared. If nothing else, you could coalate all your essays together into a single package with some additional stuff.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Scott,

Just do what Tom does, re hash.

Tom,

Just joking Sunshine.

A wonderful article mate, excellent stuff.

Examiner Editors,

One Jack related connection with Leicester which was missed, though admittedly this hasnt been confirmed.....yet (Im working on it).

In Leicester Cathederal (St Martins) is a plaque dedicated to a family name connected to the murders. The name is Mizen.

Like I say, its something Im working on but not yet confirmed.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Neal and Jennifer's article has a neat surprise.

Roy
                  Sink the Bismark

Comment

Excellent Read

The whole issue was an excellent read. Congratulations to all who submitted the great articles. It will be a hard one to emulate.
                    SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

Didn't Know

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                      Blimey Stewart, we are in agreement.
                      Monty
                      I didn't know that we disagreed that much.
                      SPE

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                        I didn't know that we disagreed that much.
                        We dont, though I still maintain X Factor is a far better programme than Strictly come dancing.

On second thoughts, youd look good in sequins dancing the cha-cha-cha.

Monty

* Mental note. Must ask Stewart about collectables such as annimated manniquins.
                        Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Less Said

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          We dont, though I still maintain X Factor is a far better programme than Strictly come dancing.
                          On second thoughts, youd look good in sequins dancing the cha-cha-cha.
                          Monty

* Mental note. Must ask Stewart about collectables such as annimated manniquins.
                          I agree, however I tried the sequins and I looked ridiculous. Animated mannikins? Less said the better!
                          SPE

Comment

Experts

The content and quality of the articles in this issue reinforce what I have claimed for some time now. This is a field of research in which there cannot be any single leading expert or authority.

It is patently obvious that we have many experts (if you choose to use that word) on different aspects of Ripperological research. This is all to the greater good as new information on various characters, incidents and locations continues to be found and published. The subject can now be accommodated only on a medium such as the Internet as books are outdated as soon as they are published. The fast-moving cutting edge of Ripper research is graphically shown in The Casebook Examiner.

I am not saying that books are totally out of date, but certainly there is less scope for factual works of reference.
                            SPE

Comment

Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                              The subject can now be accommodated only on a medium such as the Internet as books are outdated as soon as they are published. The fast-moving cutting edge of Ripper research is graphically shown in The Casebook Examiner.
                              That is a great and true statement, and applies to all subjects. As much as I like to sit and read a volume, I have become just as content printing off something from the internet and sitting down with it, much as I would with a good book. Surely the future of nonfiction is repositories such as Casebook, that are ongoing, ever-changing, and shared databases. We become the drones and always sup at the hive. I'm okay with that.

Cheers,

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Hi all

Great magazine thoroughly enjoyed it. I imagine a lot of man hours have gone into this so thank you.

Hi Tom

Well documented piece on Kidney, well done

There are some details in your work that I wasn't aware of -they have gave me pause to think and delve a little deeper into the relationship between Kidney and Stride, so thanks.

tj
                                Last edited by tji; 04-15-2010, 01:38 PM.
                                It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

Working...
                                X