No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

50 years ago - 1958 December 17 - James Bullock is shot and killed in St. Louis. He's the first in a series of seven murders conceived by dentist Dr. Glennon Engleman. Mrs. Bullock was the dentist's former wife and had been put there to collect the inheritance and life insurance benefits that resulted from the slaying. Engleman's murders went on for 22 more years before he was sent to prison for life.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1908 December 21 - Marion Gilchrist is savagely beaten to death in her Glasgow flat. Her maid saw a man fleeing the scene as she returned home. A suspicious character named Oscar Slater was convicted of the murder on dodgy evidence. He later pretty much proved his innocence and was released. The crime remains unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

Recent investigations of the Slater Case showed that the murder was committed by two men, one of them being a Dr. Charteris, who was socially well connected (and thus protected by the police).

2009 - I can think of two great mysteries that occur in this year:

1) The death of Meriwether Lewis at Grider's Stand, Natchez Trace on October 11, 1809. Lewis, the Governor of the Louisiana Territory, was on his way from St. Louis, Mo. to Washington, D.C. to discuss questions about his financial records. He either committed suicide or was murdered at the inn he was staying at. See Vardis Fisher's excellent book , SUIDIDE OR MURDER: THE DEATH OF MERIWETHER LEWIS.

2) The disappearance of the British diplomat Benjamin Bathurst at an inn at Perleberg, Prussia on November 25, 1809. Probably Bathurst was the victim of agents of Emperor Napoleon I, but the Emperor always denied it.

Best wishes,

Jeff

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 January 11 - Melvin David Rees abducts and murders the Jackson family in Virginia. Their bodies were found in March. The husband and baby had been killed rather quickly but the 5-year-old daughter and mother were sexually assaulted before they were murdered. Rees was also named in the slayings of five other young females. He was given life in prison and died of natural causes in 1972.

Stan Reid

Comment

November 1909 I believe was the date of the murder of George Harry Storrs at his mansion Gorse Hall. It resulted in the only time in British Judicial annals when two men (Cornelius Howard, and Mark Wilde) were seperately tried for the murder (one after the other) and both were acquitted. The murder was never solved.

Jeff

Comment

100 years ago - 1909 January 23 - In what became known as the Tottenham Outrage, two Latvian anarchists named Paul Hefeld and Jacob Meyer/Lepidus rob a factory payroll van. Police mount a chase in which PC William Tyler and a boy named Ralph Joscelyne are killed. The two men are run down and commit suicide to avoid capture.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 January 30 - Brian Hume kills Arthur Maag, a taxi driver, while trying to escape after a Swiss bank robbery. In England 10 years earlier, he'd murdered Stanley Setty, a business partner, and dropped his remains piecemeal from an airplane into the channel.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 February 1 - An eighteen-year-old San Franciscan, named Penny Bjorkland, wakes up with an urge to kill. She takes her parents' handgun then selects August Norry at random and proceeds to empty the weapon into him then reload to give him another volley. Penny got a life term for the slaying.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 February 2 - Pnena Berkman is stabbed to death in her apartment. Police think she was the first victim of Perth, Australia based serial killer Eric Edgar Cooke. He later confessed to several other murders and was hanged in 1964.

Stan Reid

Comment

150 years ago - 1859 February 27 - In D.C., Congressman Daniel Sickels from N.Y. guns down Philip Key, a lawyer and the son of the author of The Star Spangled Banner, Francis Scott Key. The issue was an affair that Key was having with Sickels' wife. Sickels was the first person in the U.S. to be found not guilty by reason of temporary insanity for this killing. He later went on to become a Civil War General and hero after reconciling with Teresa.

Stan Reid

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 February 27 - New Jersey gangster Abner "Longy" Zwillman is found strangled in the basement of his home. He was scheduled to testify before Congress and some thought that he might have taken his own life. Years later, mob leaders claimed that the death was actually a hit although it was debated exactly which Boss had ordered it. In his younger years, Zwillman was known for posting a large reward in the Lindbergh Case and for an affair with Jean Harlow.

Stan Reid

Comment

Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                          150 years ago - 1859 February 27 - In D.C., Congressman Daniel Sickels from N.Y. guns down Philip Key, a lawyer and the son of the author of The Star Spangled Banner, Francis Scott Key. The issue was an affair that Key was having with Sickels' wife. Sickels was the first person in the U.S. to be found not guilty by reason of temporary insanity for this killing. He later went on to become a Civil War General and hero after reconciling with Teresa.
                          Not to mention an alleged affair with Queen Isabella of Spain.

c.d.

Comment

50 years ago - 1959 March 7 - Gertrude Robinson is found murdered in her home at a Bermuda beach. The 72-year-old had been raped and beaten to death. She was believed to be the first victim of Wendell Lightbourne who was later condemned. Eventually that sentence was reduced to life in prison.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1909 March 12 -

Case #1-Thomas Meade is hanged in England for the beating death of his common-law wife, Clara Howell, in the previous year.

Case#2-Joseph Petrosino is gunned down in Sicily. He was a New York City policeman who'd been sent there to investigate the Mafia. The murder was never solved but suspicion was that local mob boss Don Vito Cascio Ferro might have had some involvement.

Stan Reid

Comment

The "Titanic" of South Africa

This year will be the centennial of one of the great mysteries of the Seven Seas: the disappearance (in 1909) of the Blue Star liner WARATAH off the coast of the Union of South Africa, after leaving Durban and heading for Cape Town. It had started from Australia and was headed for London, on it's third voyage. Except for a handful of passengers who left the ship at Durban most of the passengers and all the crew (over 200 people in all) never were heard from again. The search for the WARATAH has been going on for the last century, and Clive Cussler has taken an interest up to the last six years in finding it. A ship found on its side in 1998 was supposed to be WARATAH, but turned out to be a ship that was torpedoed in World War II. It is believed it sank in a storm (in one of the stormiest areas on the globe) with the added problem of it being unstable.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X