Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Ripperologist: Ripperologist 161 April/May 2018 - by Ginger 56 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by GUT 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by GUT 4 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by packers stem 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - by MrBarnett 5 hours ago.
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - by GUT 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Caroline Maxwell Alibi ? - (18 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: What was occuring in 1888? - (6 posts)
Witnesses: Our Charles Cross - (5 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Favorite suspect/s? - (3 posts)
General Discussion: Mug Shots from 1908-1911 - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: What EAR/ONS teaches us about JtR - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #4021  
Old 08-16-2017, 05:11 PM
DJA DJA is offline
Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,463
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John G View Post
Maybrick would have been fifty in 1888. Is there another example in world criminological history of a serial killer beginning their life as a multiple murderer at such an age?
Jack the Ripper was 53.
__________________
My name is Dave.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4022  
Old 08-16-2017, 06:51 PM
drstrange169 drstrange169 is offline
Sergeant
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 969
Default

Does anybody know when Barrett is supossed to have submitted articles for "Look In"? I have access to a pile of late 1980's issues.

At a quick glance the only "articles" appear to be interviews with minor pop stars.
__________________
dustymiller
aka drstrange


"Whenever an expert says something that bolsters the Lechmere theory, it is not my task to disprove him ..."
Fisherman
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4023  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:47 PM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
I don't know of one.

Maybe it was a one-off instance.
Ah that must be it!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4024  
Old 08-17-2017, 01:38 AM
Kaz Kaz is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
And Danaher wasn't a serialist was he????
No, but he had a long list of potential victims. Who knows what he would have done if he hadn't got caught? Not the best example I admit, just one I had raised earlier so had him in mind.

Theres every possibility James didn't start at 50, read Jack the Ripper: The American Connection.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4025  
Old 08-17-2017, 02:11 AM
Sam Flynn Sam Flynn is offline
Casebook Supporter
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wales
Posts: 9,937
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstrange169 View Post
Does anybody know when Barrett is supossed to have submitted articles for "Look In"? I have access to a pile of late 1980's issues.
For those unfamiliar with Look-In, there's a full edition from 1983 that's been digitised here:

https://archive.org/details/009LookI...1983TheFallGuy

Bit of a nostalgia trip for me. I wasn't a subscriber, but I did buy it from time to time.
Quote:
At a quick glance the only "articles" appear to be interviews with minor pop stars.
Given the delight in cryptic clues and word-play throughout the diary, perhaps the crosswords might be an interesting place to look!
__________________
Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4026  
Old 08-17-2017, 04:57 AM
Henry Flower Henry Flower is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hackney Wick
Posts: 1,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
No, but he had a long list of potential victims. Who knows what he would have done if he hadn't got caught? Not the best example I admit, just one I had raised earlier so had him in mind.

Theres every possibility James didn't start at 50, read Jack the Ripper: The American Connection.
Oh sure. He was hacking up women in Texas previously. He just forgot to mention that in his diary. His diary, which presents us with quite a build-up to his first murder, as though he is breaking new ground.

But hey, maybe psychopaths forget things like multiple previous murders.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4027  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:27 AM
Kaz Kaz is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Oh sure. He was hacking up women in Texas previously. He just forgot to mention that in his diary. His diary, which presents us with quite a build-up to his first murder, as though he is breaking new ground.

But hey, maybe psychopaths forget things like multiple previous murders.

Have you read Shirley's book?

I can send you a copy if you like?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4028  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 AM
Henry Flower Henry Flower is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hackney Wick
Posts: 1,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Have you read Shirley's book?

I can send you a copy if you like?
Thanks Kaz, that's one that I did read. I must say I felt rather cheated as I felt that when you cut out the waffle it actually added very little to the original Diary publication.

There really wasn't much evidence of an American connection after all, was there? I read it hoping for more and came away thinking, "was that it?!"

Still, Ripper authors are always wise to tap into an American connection if they can, the American market laps that stuff up, it's money for old rope really.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4029  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:35 AM
Henry Flower Henry Flower is offline
Inactive
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Hackney Wick
Posts: 1,132
Default

I didn't mean that to sound like an attack on Shirley Harrison btw. I rather like her. I don't think she's right, but that's not a problem, she seems like a decent and likeable person.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #4030  
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 AM
Kaz Kaz is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Flower View Post
Thanks Kaz, that's one that I did read. I must say I felt rather cheated as I felt that when you cut out the waffle it actually added very little to the original Diary publication.

There really wasn't much evidence of an American connection after all, was there? I read it hoping for more and came away thinking, "was that it?!"

Still, Ripper authors are always wise to tap into an American connection if they can, the American market laps that stuff up, it's money for old rope really.
I thought it was more great detective work by Shirley. But I was left feeling alittle cheated...

it doesn't tie in with the Diary very well either. its something else I'm left on the fence with ..
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.