No announcement yet.

Pop Star Mannerisms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't believe Jerry Lee Lewis and his hi-jinks during "Great Balls of Fire" didn't make this list-- you youngsters go watch the first "Back to the Future" film, lol...
    Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
    ---------------
    Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
    ---------------

Comment

I think the real Beatle mania was probably over by 1966, but they started from such a high point that even when their sales slowed a little they were still superstars.

The hysteria was transferred (in the UK) to bands like T Rex, the Sweet, the Osmonds, the Bay City Rollers etc etc. I think it's only a teenage thing - the girls grow out of it and the new teenagers want their own idols to obsess over.

I too liked the early Beatles more than the later ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        Hi Stead

I forgot The Move.

As far as I can recall, my favourite five at the time were Beatles (by a mile)
        Stones
        Hollies
        Kinks
        Manfred Man
        Not a bad list.

Funnily I wasn't as big a fan of the Stones but loved the others on your list.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
          I always wished that Eric and Alan Price could have gotten along and stayed together longer....as much as I like "Eric Burdon and the Animals" I can only imagine what great music they would have produced post 1966...then again, we may not have gotten that amazing score for the film O Lucky Man! that Alan did.... Bryan "Chaz" Chandler was better off leaving.... I mean he not only gave us Jimi Hendrix.... but also SLADE!!!!

I have seen Eric many times in concert over the years, managed to talk to him a few times.... interesting cat...he also made one of the WORST films staring a rock star of all time... "The Comeback".. seriously... if you have not seen it.. DON'T....but the amazing thing about Eric is to this day his voice is amazing!!!

The Animals were underrated.. possibly because so much of what they did were cover songs... but hey, The Kinks early stuff was as well...they just evolved.. as the Animals did, but by that time.. it wasn't the Animals

makes me want to start a new list.....rate your top 5 British Invasion bands in order.... I will allow the 1st and 2nd waves (just so The Who can be included )

mine are
          5- Herman's Hermits - laugh if you will...but great pop, plus.. they brought the WHO to America!!

4- Donovan- Usually not thought of in this respect, but I include him...

3- The Kinks- everything you could ever want from a band....pop sense, rebellion, angst, emotion and longevity... plus 2 brothers who would fight!

2- The Beatles- I know, seems almost sacrilegious to not have The Beatles #1... but it was a coin toss for me

1- The Who- All I can say is the Greatest Rock-n-Roll band of ALL TIME (sorry Stones)..

Anyone else care to comment or add a list?

Steadmund Brand

All great.

One issue is comparing R&R and Pop, and in my mind that's where one band really stood out, Rock, Pop, Ballards, my goodness even String Quartets backing them and finally an Orchestra all going to the top of the charts, no else could play it all so well.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The Hollies were one of my favourite bands, I just liked their sound.

I saw T-Rex at the London Polytechnic before they became huge. They played in the gymnasium and my boyfriend and I climbed up the monkey bars to sit on the top and watch them.

The Who - when I was about 13 my sister and I went out to Hammersmith Palais one night and we got chatted up at the bus stop by a couple of guys who were on their way to a party for a band named The Who which was being given by Kit Lambert, their manager. They asked us along but, being nice girls, we declined. We'd never heard of The Who and they told us to watch Top of the Pops the next night and we'd see them singing their first release 'I Can't Explain'.

As for my saying that these days I thought the Beatles had more male fans than female ones, the reason for this is that I've been selling Beatles CDs on ebay since 1999 and in that time I've sold thousands of them and almost without exception, the buyers are men. I can't recall the last time a female purchased a Beatles CD from me.
            This is simply my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
              The Hollies were one of my favourite bands, I just liked their sound.

I saw T-Rex at the London Polytechnic before they became huge. They played in the gymnasium and my boyfriend and I climbed up the monkey bars to sit on the top and watch them.

The Who - when I was about 13 my sister and I went out to Hammersmith Palais one night and we got chatted up at the bus stop by a couple of guys who were on their way to a party for a band named The Who which was being given by Kit Lambert, their manager. They asked us along but, being nice girls, we declined. We'd never heard of The Who and they told us to watch Top of the Pops the next night and we'd see them singing their first release 'I Can't Explain'.

As for my saying that these days I thought the Beatles had more male fans than female ones, the reason for this is that I've been selling Beatles CDs on ebay since 1999 and in that time I've sold thousands of them and almost without exception, the buyers are men. I can't recall the last time a female purchased a Beatles CD from me.

I don't think there's much fab 4 stuff I haven't got but I will have a look for your listings.
              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                I think the real Beatle mania was probably over by 1966, but they started from such a high point that even when their sales slowed a little they were still superstars.

The hysteria was transferred (in the UK) to bands like T Rex, the Sweet, the Osmonds, the Bay City Rollers etc etc. I think it's only a teenage thing - the girls grow out of it and the new teenagers want their own idols to obsess over.

I too liked the early Beatles more than the later ones.

Yes, I would agree with you.

For the girl fans the guys in the bands HAD to be fanciable, or at least one of them. If the music was good then that was a bonus!

Unfortunately for the (very talented) Eric Burdon - none of the Animals were very pretty. Eric Burdon's soulful voice was the saving grace.

Comment

What does a musician have to do for you to not listen to their music anymore? If we read that a member of the public has been visiting websites that contain images that revolt us, we condemn them straight away.

However, when a member of a band that we like does it, we continue to support them by playing their music.

They continue to sell records & sell out gigs yet I don’t understand why when they’ve admitted to accessing such vile images. Just putting it out there.

Comment

But surely you know he was simply doing research for a book he was writing on paedophilia? He had to visit the website four times just to make sure he got his facts right.

The world is still waiting for that book.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal Hayes View Post
                      What does a musician have to do for you to not listen to their music anymore? If we read that a member of the public has been visiting websites that contain images that revolt us, we condemn them straight away.

However, when a member of a band that we like does it, we continue to support them by playing their music.

They continue to sell records & sell out gigs yet I don’t understand why when they’ve admitted to accessing such vile images. Just putting it out there.
                      To be frank couldn't care what they do in their private life, but then I don't see entertainers (including sportspeople) as as some type of roll model or hero, but as entertainers.

I like some of Tom Cruises movies but think the guy is a creep, I like Little Richard's music, but think he is strange to put it mildly, I love Van Gogh's paintings but he weird need I go on...
                      G U T

Comment

Paedophilia is something else though. Once we start shrugging our shoulders and saying it doesn't matter then the next step is acceptance of the unacceptable.

It's getting that way already.

Comment

Originally posted by louisa View Post
                          Paedophilia is something else though. Once we start shrugging our shoulders and saying it doesn't matter then the next step is acceptance of the unacceptable.

It's getting that way already.
                          Can't agree sorry, if their music is good their music is good, now I may decide not to buy anymore of it so I don't give them money, but I'll still listen to their music

How about Jerry Lee Lewis as an example?

Find him marrying a 13 year old revolting, but Great Balls of Fire is a great song.
                          G U T

Comment

You’re right, it is a great song but apart from that, marrying a 13 year old was/is legal in that state at that time. Not sure what the rules are nowadays but at that time, it was legal, so acceptable, if not quite what the average person would call ‘normal’.

But as Louisa says, once we start ignoring it, it becomes acceptable.

Nothing shocks us anymore, mainly due to the internet & the grim news we take in on a daily basis but there still has to be a limit on what is right & what is wrong.

I still find myself singing Gary Glitter songs in my head as it’s the music I grew up with & part of my history but I’d never play his songs.

However, it’s acceptable to play The Who & that’s the bit I can’t get my head around. It’s black & white for me.

Comment

I looked on Amazon and found that PT has written books including an autobiography! People presumably are buying them, making him even richer.

No sign of THE book he was supposed to be writing though.

I don't really know why anyone would buy an autobiography of anybody because it will just be a load of self serving claptrap. The author will have left out anything that may sound detrimental and will portray themselves in the best light possible.

Unauthorised bios are the best imo. You get the juicy bits.

Comment

Getting back on topic, it's a little known fact that David Gray was the inspiration for bobble-head toys...

Comment

Working...
                                X