URGENT- Don Souden Has Had A Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Bunny

I've always got on well with Don and I like and respect him. Please tell him to stay positive - easier said than done, I know. But tell him that just because he's in check, doesn't mean it's checkmate. On the other hand, he mustn't push things. So no more bungee jumping for the foreseeable future. And the shark cage fight will have to be called off.

Comment

Hi Bunny,

Thank you so much for keeping us informed about Don's progress. I sent him a card yesterday and hope it will reach him by next weekend.

Tell him not to scare us (me) any more, please, and that I am personally only going to accept a full recovery from him. Anything else is completely unacceptable if he wants to keep me as a friend.

Thank you.

Lots of love,
      Carol xxx

Comment

*any Ideas To Help Don Use His Flip-phone?*

Hi Carol. I'll tell Don, I promise.

I didn't talk with him yesterday but got a few texts from his sister late last night. i told her how amazed I was at Don's verbal & memory progress over the course of last week. She is too. I told her I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that she has been there with him to help stimulate his mind and encourage him.

He's been on a strict diet for his Diabetes. She said he was allowed to have an Orange Julius yesterday (it's like an orange juice milkshake) and she said Don was so excited he was like a little kid.

I think besides being weak, ill and exhausted Don's probably been bored out of his mind. I know I was when i was hospitalized a long time. There's no natural stimulus, no night or day when you're seriously ill. And of course the medications make it even worse, til you lose track of Time completely. I think Don's sister's visit has helped to wake up his mind and his memory, as has hearing from his friends. I told Don's sister last night that Don sounded so good on Friday that I was amazed. I said "The next thing you know, he'll be sardonic. "

I'm concerned about what will happen when she has to go home tomorrow. She lives 3,000 miles away like I do.

We're trying to figure out if there's some way to put photo icon phone number shortcuts on Don's phone so he can call her, me, and some other friends, but he has a flip-phone so we aren't sure. I suggested using asterisks to put certain names first on his phone, and enabling speed dial. But I don't know if he can recognize names and numbers.

*If anybody has a tech solution or suggestion to make it easier for Don to dial his friends on his flip-phone, i'd appreciate hearing it, particularly today so his sister can implement it on his phone.

It's good you guys are sending cards. They will help cheer him up when his sister goes home. It would be great if people can stock up on cards & postcards so he receives a steady supply of mail.
        Don loves History and Baseball, so I'm scouring the shops for cards & postcards with strong visuals that will interest him even if he can't read them yet.

I'll post later if i'm able to talk to him.
        Thanks everybody,
        Archaic

Comment

Do you know if he has a laptop? Skype might be an option. It can call regular phone numbers and also has video option so he could see people who are calling him.

Let all Oz be agreed;
          I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

I'll ask if he has a laptop. Skype is a good idea for when he's doing better, but at the moment he cant possibly use a laptop. He's paralyzed on his left side, has little coordination and can't read letters, numbers or symbols.

that's why i was hoping for photo icons but he has a flip-phone.

I'm trying to find out how much phone help it's possible for him to get once his sister goes home. Not sure if staff will do it. Maybe his speech therapist will as part of his therapy. Or perhaps a local friend or a volunteer can assist him.

i'm waiting to speak with him now.

archaic

Comment

Talked to Don

Talked to Don for a few minutes. Had to wait a bit because he insisted on keeping his fliphone open for me to call, but it's the type that can't ring when open.
              He sounds worse today. He had trouble focusing and his voice was less clear; a bit rapid, unmodulated, and garbled. He suddenly asked me how i was 4 or 5 times in a row, which is a symptom of stroke.

I was trying to talk to him and he suddenly said very fast "She's a frustrated concentration camp guard!" Good old sardonic Supe. (He was talking about his sister who was trying to get him to eat so he'd get stronger.) He said "She's bossing me around." I told him that's what sisters are for. Plus she wants him to get better. He made a loud "harrumph" sound then went, "Yeah?".

I asked if he'd like to hear from some more friends and he said yes. Read through more messages on this thread and his memory was suddenly very good again-
              he actually corrected me when I mispronounced 'Cogidubnus'!! He pronounced it correctly and said "Yeah, that's Dave White." Wow.

Just last night I told his sister that on Friday he sounded so good I was half-expecting him to correct my English, and here he has actually corrected my Latin! So that's sure a good sign.

Don only lasted a few minutes on the phone today; then his sister took the phone back and said he's feeling a bit off and cranky today because she's been trying to make him eat properly. He's probably also upset that she has to go home tomorrow. Poor guy will be so lonely.

I asked if she and I could talk when she has time so i could understand his prognosis a little better. She said yes, but i don't know when that will be.

I may talk to him again later today if he's feeling up to it. Stroke victims have good days and off days; that's normal.

Please do send cards; Don's very much looking forward to them.

Thanks,
              Archaic

Comment

Thinking of Don-a lovely chap and excellent ripperologist.Hoping he has a very speedy recovery Norma

Comment

Don's Address

Hi Nats, i'll pass your message to Don when i can.

Here's Don's address again for those of you wishing to send a card or postcard.

Please be sure to print your message clearly, including your name, as Don can't read at this time and it will be either a staff member or a relative who reads your card to him.

Clear printing will also help Don start to relearn to recognize the letters of the alphabet, which will hopefully aid his return to reading and writing.

*Please also make sure you write ATTN: Donald Souden either within the address or just below it. (Don't worry about a room number, as he has been moved several times.)

Don's address:

Southport Manor
                  930 Mill Hill Terrace
                  ATTN: Donald Souden
                  Southport, CT
                  O6890
                  USA

Those of you who live in London, maybe you could send a Jack the Ripper souvenir postcard? That would wake them up at the care facility!

Don also loves sports, especially Baseball, but Cricket too.

Thanks,
                  Archaic
                  Last edited by Admin; 09-18-2013, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Attn: Address Correction

IMPORTANT: I just found out that Don's family gave me the wrong zip code for his address.

They said 06891 but the correct zip is 06890.

I only found out by accident while my post office was weighing a large card.

PLEASE CAN SOMEBODY ASK ADMIN TO CHANGE THE ZIPCODE IN BOTH POSTS WHERE IT APPEARS?

I'm not home & wont be for awhile.

Thanks

Comment

Sometimes home health stores where you get wheelchairs and such sells corded phones where you can put someones picture on the button, and you program each button with a phone number. So that might be an option. Also the better he gets, the more his speech and cognition may slip. It's not necessarily a sign he is backsliding or anything. Often stroke sufferers get frustrated and think effort will overcome the problem, when it wont. They tire themselves out much more quickly. So don't despair.

As time passes, some of the damage to emotional centers will begin to show. Right now he is exhausted. As he gains strength he might have some temper problems, or crying, absolutely depression. Emotional symptoms are very common, and most likely they will pass. But our emotions are as electrochemically oriented as our cognition. And they are as affected by the short circuiting effects of a stroke. People tend to react badly to inappropriate emotion, in a way they don't react to a failure of logic or forgetfulness. But some inappropriate emotion is very normal, and I promise you that anyone who doesn't scream for a solid month and a half after a stroke is doing more than fine. So anyone who talks to him, just keep it in mind. Don't freak out, don't treat him like a child, don't panic and hang up on him. It's absolutely normal. My fiance's grandmother has become hypersexual since her stroke. Sure it makes her family uncomfortable, but I'm not related to her, so I think it's awesome. So does she. It's a very rare side effect though. Don will likely have something less fun.

I hate this phrase, but it is what it is. It happens, theres no way for it to not happen, and I have a hell of a lot more respect for a guy who just got a cattle prod to the brain who is trying to rebuild than someone who decides to make that guy feel bad by treating him like a leper because he doesn't have total control of his emotions. He probably doesn't have control over his bladder, but nobody would freak out over that. I see it happen all the time, and it pisses me off every time. You get to choose what you expose yourself to, but you don't get to make someone feel like **** because of something they cannot control. So if you don't think you can handle it, wait to talk to him until he is better. Otherwise, I am absolutely going to think you are a terrible person and treat you accordingly if you cannot manage to dredge up more self control than a stroke victim. All I'm saying is be a grown up. It would amaze you how many can't manage it.
                      The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

*don's Address Has Been Corrected In All Posts

Just so there's no confusion, I asked Admin to go into this thread and correct the zip code (postal code) of all posts in this thread. So don't worry about about "which one is right". They're all right.

I haven't talked to Don in a couple of days, but he did send me a text. It didn't have any recognizable words in it, it was just a couple dozen random letters all run together without spaces, a "!" part way through and a "?" at the end. So he's trying.

Yesterday Don was refusing to eat. His sister managed to make him eat while she was there, but now he refuses.
                        I'm hoping to speak to him Saturday when his brother visits and will give do my best to give him a pep talk about building his strength up. Whenever I lose too much weight he always urges me to eat more, so I'll remind him of that.

Errata, that's a great idea re: the corded phone w/photos; thanks very much. I'll look into it and will tell Don's sister.

Thanks,
                        Archaic

Comment

Hello Archaic!

All the positive things to Don!

Jukka
                          "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Well please tell Don I did send a card, but I sent it to the wrong address. I'll wait and see if it comes back.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                            I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Jukka. I'll tell Don for you.

I'll explain to him about the zip code thing. Hopefully the mailman will be cool and hand-correct our cards, especially as they're being sent to a business address that they can verify.

I hope to God Don will start eating. The food there probably isn't very exciting, but he needs the nutrition.

Not sure how it works in other countries, but American doctors only wait so long before they start talking about inserting a feeding tube.

And Don would really hate that.

Best regards,
                              Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post

I hope to God Don will start eating. The food there probably isn't very exciting, but he needs the nutrition.

Not sure how it works in other countries, but American doctors only wait so long before they start talking about inserting a feeding tube.

And Don would really hate that.

Best regards,
                                Archaic
                                He may be having some issues with eating that he can't articulate. My grandmother in law felt like she was gagging and choking when she ate, even though she wasn't. Eating also made her ears ache, which made sense to me but I can't really say why. Refusal to eat is easier than trying to explain. If no one has, someone should ask him if eating is causing some kind of discomfort.

And frankly, there are very few things a stroke survivor can control. And someone in the hospital after a life threatening event needs some sense of control more than anything. He can control whether or not he eats. Giving him control over some other aspect of his care if possible can be a huge blessing. Choosing his own food might help, or even having a nurse ask him if it's okay before giving him medication. He's lost a lot. He may get it back, but he doesn't know yet. He needs something that he is the master of, because right now, he can't even control his own body. He likely has or will soon have a psychologist working on his case. They usually assign one to convalescent patients. If his sister can talk to his psychologist or even the nurses about giving him some control over his fate, it might help him a lot.
                                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Working...
                                X