Titanic fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic fans

new adaptation by Julian Fellowes starting tonight on ITV.

babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

I'll be watching. I haven't seen Downton Abbey, so not sure what to expect from the writing - but, we'll see.

I note that Cameron's Titanic is being rehashed in 3D for Easter.

Hmm.

Comment

It was crap and totally inaccurate,i have studied Titanic for more than 18 years and the film is more accurate than this.

Comment

yes

I wasn't impressed to be honest.
        babybird

There is only one happiness in life—to love and be loved.

George Sand

Comment

It was very rushed and didnt give the characters any depth or reliable historic emphasis.
          I wont be watching the other 3 episodes.

Comment

I would take anything that Julian Fellowes writes with a pinch of salt these days. I bought a Julian Fellowes DVD with six famous true crimes, dramatisations with Fellowes narrating. I bought it mainly for just one of them, a story I know inside out, backwards and forwards. Right from the opening scene I was picking fault with it and the dramatisation continued in the same vein. He had bent the facts around, and even added stuff from his own imagination, to make a good story better.

I assume that it would be the same with any other production he was involved in.

I would think his stuff makes great viewing if you don't know the stories and are unaware of the discrepancies.

And as for Titanic dramatizations, writers and producers never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
            Last edited by louisa; 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM. Reason: altering text
            This is simply my opinion

Comment

Hi,
              To be honest the first episode was so unrealistic, the sets lacked space and one had to use ones imagination that they were reflecting life aboard a liner, although the deck shots were good.
              The casual strolling around the upper decks, looking for what was reflected as 'one of the last lifeboats' was silly, and as previously stated, the characters were not given the time to warm to the audience.
              The sinking of the Titanic was a tragedy, and the people caught up in it literally fought for their lives, even the passengers in first class, all airs and graces would have vanished, once the end was inevitable.
              To early to completely dismiss this production, maybe my fears are unworthy.
              Regards Richard.

Comment

I didn't watch it simply because I knew that I'd be picking holes in it.

It sounds as though it was made on a budget.

Comment

I've collated the goofs here - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/jf2012goofs.html
                  --
                  http://www.paullee.com/

Comment

I have seen Downton Abbey and liked it. I thought the 1st Episode moved very quickly, the trick with these episodes is that you are going to have to watch them all to get the full story as each episode only focuses on one person's story with interactions from other characters stories.

Having seen the first episode I have to add that Maria Doyle Kennedy was a delight as the fiery Mrs Batley, I also like that Dorothy Gibson was featured in show even if she was portrayed as English and in first class when she was American and travelled second class. They even got her mom in which was nice even if the lady made a fleeting appearance as she was getting in a lifeboat.

I like Steve Waddington as 2nd officer Lightoller, a bit mild it's true but still I feel Waddington was a good choice for the role. I remember seeing him for the first time back in the 90's when he played Ivanhoe on an A&E production.

Mademoiselle Aubart was lovely and Guggenheim were both well portrayed so far. I do wonder how he really felt about how Mademoiselle Aubart's treatment by fellow passengers once it was known on ship that she was his significant other. I'm looking forward to the other episodes so I can see how everything pans out if for nothing else. I watched the episode over on youtube and I think it was entertaining and fast paced, very fast paced so pay attention. Also the episode I saw was cut.

Comment

Those goofs are titanic in themself! Whoever it was who noticed them deserves a medal for his/her amazing knowledge of the Titanic and exactly how it was, back in the day.

I enjoyed reading the collation of goofs and I have to say that I'm truly in awe. Well done!

Comment

Thanks Louisa,
                        Watch out for part 2 goofs on Monday or Tuesday

To show theres no favouritism, I've also done goofs for Cameron's flick and the 1958 "A Night To Remember" - http://www.paullee.com/titanic/jc1997goofs.html and http://www.paullee.com/titanic/antr1958goofs.html

I didn't bother doing the goofs for the 1996 Tim Curry TV mini series as it would have been quicker to point out what was right about it, rather than the goofs.
                        --
                        http://www.paullee.com/

Comment

I recorded last Sunday's episode and watched it yesterday afternoon. I don't know whether it was my TV, but I found the picture quality very poor - many scenes were too dark to see (I do have a visual disability so that didn't help).

I found some of the characters so vile I am ashamed to say I was muttering under my breath 'drown, bitch'.

I will try tonight's episode to see if anything improves.

I didn't watch Downton Abbey but I heard Julian Fellowes choices on Desert Island Discs and I didn't care much for his taste in music!

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post

I found some of the characters so vile I am ashamed to say I was muttering under my breath 'drown, bitch'.

Comment

Working...
                            X