Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the most historically accurate Jack The Ripper picture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, Clark, in "From Hell", did you notice that one of the people giving up a horrified moan as the Eddowes kidney is revealed is Eddowes herself?

And did you know that the film crew hired Stewart Evans for expert advice?

Any way you look at it, it is hilarious. One can only imagine the frustration!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
      Not even close.
      That mini series annoyed me.

Didn't they pass a Mitre Square photo off as the scene of Nichols' murder?
      Last edited by DJA; 01-23-2016, 01:14 AM. Reason: off
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Hi everybody, new to the forum and couldn't resist getting involved in this thread. Murder by decree with Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes has a good crack at getting the feel for the times right, very atmospheric and does a good job of portraying the victims fairly accurately. I remember watching part of the actual filming next to Southwark cathedral. One of my all time favourite films.

Comment

I would have to give the makers of "From Hell" a brownie point or two for going to the effort of trying to reconstruct the actual buildings and streets of the area.

The sets they made were huge and very detailed.

Sadly they didn't realise that Buckingham Palace did not look the same back then as it does now. Nor that the London Hospital was not called the Royal London Hospital until very recently.

Comment

Despite its lack of historical accuracy I thoroughly enjoyed the Michael Caine mini series. I remember watching it when it was first broadcast on TV, and I subsequently purchased the DVD. In fact, it's what first kindled my interest in Jack the Ripper, and I remember being totally convinced they'd correctly identified the right suspect. I should, however, point out that I'm not so convinced now!

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
              Clark: I maintain a webpage pertaining to movies about Napoleon Bonaparte.

I KNEW it!
              I just looked at the Napoleon film website. Great idea.

Napoleon is shown in two cameos that I am aware of. First in the Hollywood film about the end of the "Reign of Terror" ("Thermidor") called "The Black Book" (1949) with Bob Cummings, and Richard Basehart (as "Maximilien Robespierre"), when he is shown from the back at the end of the movie. The other was in the film, "Scaramouche" (Stewart Granger, Mel Ferrer, Eleanor Parker, Nina Foch) when at the end we see Parker entertaining the little corporal in her apartment.

I really would like to see a film version of the Etienne Girard stories.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
                Clark: I maintain a webpage pertaining to movies about Napoleon Bonaparte.

I KNEW it!
                So an obsession about Napoleon is crazier than an obsession about Jack the Ripper? Pot, meet kettle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                  I really would like to see a film version of the Etienne Girard stories.
                  The only feature-length sound movie about the Brigadier is The Adventures of Gerard (England/Switzerland, 1970), and although it's a compilation of a number of incidents from Doyle's stories, it doesn't really capture the flavor of the original. It's pretty bad, actually, but Claudia Cardinale is quite fetching as the heroine.

There's a pretty good silent movie about Gerard that's available on DVD (check eBay or Grapevine video), The Fighting Eagle (1927). It's considerably more faithful to the short stories, but not everyone enjoys silent movies anymore. I've posted a short clip from the film here: https://youtu.be/0_gzaLEhw3Q

Schlitz Playhouse, had an episode taken directly from Conan Doyle’s tale, How the Brigadier Won His Medals (1954). This one is very faithful to the story and quite satisfying. If you're interested, I've posted the entire episode on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/dQzucIMyAMA

Comment

Originally posted by Clark View Post
                    The only feature-length sound movie about the Brigadier is The Adventures of Gerard (England/Switzerland, 1970), and although it's a compilation of a number of incidents from Doyle's stories, it doesn't really capture the flavor of the original. It's pretty bad, actually, but Claudia Cardinale is quite fetching as the heroine.

There's a pretty good silent movie about Gerard that's available on DVD (check eBay or Grapevine video), The Fighting Eagle (1927). It's considerably more faithful to the short stories, but not everyone enjoys silent movies anymore. I've posted a short clip from the film here: https://youtu.be/0_gzaLEhw3Q

Schlitz Playhouse, had an episode taken directly from Conan Doyle’s tale, How the Brigadier Won His Medals (1954). This one is very faithful to the story and quite satisfying. If you're interested, I've posted the entire episode on YouTube at: https://youtu.be/dQzucIMyAMA
                    Thanks Clark, I noticed the clip was there. And the website mentioned "The Fighting Eagle".

I'm somewhat surprised that Edmond Rostand's play "L'Aiglon" ("The Eaglette") about Napoleon's son by Maria Theresa was never made into a film (at least none I know of). This may be due to the "pants role" of the lead character becoming really associated with the great Sarah Bernhardt, who died in 1926 and who earlier had made silent films ("Queen Elizabeth" with Lou Tellegrin as Essex). However, I do know that there is a film, "Babes on Broadway" with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney where they are in (during one sequence) an old theatre basement and do imitations of the stars of the turn of the 20th Century, with Rooney doing George M. Cohan and Richard Mansfield as "Cyrano", and Judy doing Blance Ring and then Bernhardt as "L'Aiglon" in French - the scene when the Prince recites the names of his father's greatest military victories).

Jeff
                    Last edited by Mayerling; 01-23-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M View Post
                      Hi everybody, new to the forum and couldn't resist getting involved in this thread. Murder by decree with Christopher Plummer as Sherlock Holmes has a good crack at getting the feel for the times right, very atmospheric and does a good job of portraying the victims fairly accurately. I remember watching part of the actual filming next to Southwark cathedral. One of my all time favourite films.
                      And one of mine as well. Very well done film.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        I'm somewhat surprised that Edmond Rostand's play "L'Aiglon" ("The Eaglette") about Napoleon's son by Maria Theresa was never made into a film (at least none I know of).
                        There was a silent version in 1913, but I don't know if any prints still exist. There's also a sound film in French from 1931. Apparently prints of this one are still around, but I've not seen it.

However, I do know that there is a film with Judy Garland and Mickey Rooney where they are in (during one sequence) an old theatre basement and do imitations of the stars of the turn of the 20th Century, with Rooney doing George M. Cohan and Richard Mansfield as "Cyrano", and Judy doing Bernheart as "L'Aiglon" in French - the scene when the Prince recites the names of his father's greatest military victories).
                        I wasn't aware of this. I'll have to look it up. Thanks.

Comment

Might have been "Babes in Arms".

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                            Might have been "Babes in Arms".
                            Not quite. It was "Babes on Broadway". I looked it up on the IMDb website.

Jeff

Comment

Knew it was one of the three.

Garland married David Rose during the filming.

Early roles for Ava Gardner and Donna Reed.

Comment

Of course Ava Gardner married Mickey Rooney and went on to film.......Mayerling.

One of her movies was remade in 1964.

Why may it be amongst Tom Wescott's favourites?
                                Last edited by DJA; 01-23-2016, 11:16 PM. Reason: Last two lines.

Comment

Working...
                                X