No announcement yet.

BBC1 Ripper Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha, reminds me a bit of a story Osbert Sitwell told about his father - a crusty and old-fashioned man. Sitwell once said something about having been "blotto" the night before and his father, who liked to try to keep up with the latest buzzwords, asked him what 'blotto' meant.Sitwell
    said something like "Er - I meant I was feeling tired." Some time later his father invited some guests but when they arrived the father was having an afternoon nap. When he came down to meet them in the evening, Sitwell's father said, "Sorry I wasn't able to see you this afternoon - I was feeling very blotto."

Comment

Sitting here watching the Olympics, Holly Bleasdale in the pole vault at the moment, I noticed the BBC are showing a video of very short clips of drama productions that will be airing later this year.
      A quick google and I've found the BBC page with the video.
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...ctakeover.html

According to the following linked page the full trailer will air this Sunday (12 Aug) at 8pm although I'm not sure what BBC channel the trailer is on.
      http://www.darcylicious.com/drupal/c...your-calendars

IMDB already have a page for the show as well. The cast list has Detective Edmund Reid as one of the characters.
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2183641/

I read at one of the links that it starts in October.
      These are not clues, Fred.
      It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
      They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
      And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
      We will not.

Comment

Buckle

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
        The name 'Ripper Street' doesn't grab me... seems like the writers could have come up with something much more catchy and interesting. Are they designating one particular street as being "Ripper Street'; perhaps Commercial Road or Whitechapel High Street? (Sorry, I can't recall what street H-Division headquarters was on.) I guess they want to avoid using 'Whitechapel' in the title, since there was already a series by that title.

Anyone have any suggestions for a better name for this series?

Here's a couple I thought of off the top of my head:

'H-Division'

'Do As You Like Street'

'The Rookery'

(I think I like 'The Rookery' best.)

Cheers,
        Archaic
        If it has to include the word 'street', why not "Buckle Street"? It has connotations of the 'Dear Boss' letter and, of course, it actually exists.

The use of the word 'precinct' in the promotional material doesn't bode well, but I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Regards, Bridewell.
        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Precinct. Probably doesn't bode well although I'm only going on my current knowledge of the word (without googling it quickly) which is little. It sounds like a new-ish word but maybe not.

I'm just posting here as I can't edit my original. I should of said in my post that the video of clips of new trailers includes clips from Ripper Street. It probably seems obvious anyway but I should of said it originally in the previous post.
          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
          We will not.

Comment

Precinct?

Its Division.

Here's a wee taster

Monty
            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Precinct?

Its Division.

Here's a wee taster

Monty
              Gee, I hope we can get that over here on our BBC channel, looks interesting.

Comment

For my last post I wasn't sure where Bridewell had seen the word precinct even though the post says in the promotional material.
                I just had a look and found the word in the IMBD description which I had linked to.

"A new drama set in the East End of London in 1889 during the aftermath of Jack The Ripper murders. The infamous H Division - the police precinct charged with keeping order in the district of Whitechapel- is in a chaotic state trying to keep order after a tumultuous time for London and reported infamously worldwide. Written by dcrs"

The IMBD description was wrote, or copied, by somebody called dcrs. I don't know if Bridewell had seen the word precinct in some BBC promo material elsewhere or thought that the IMBD description was from some BBC promo material (which it might be anyway and dcrs copied it.)

It was only after your post Monty, and checking the IMBD description, that I understood in what context the word precinct was being used - a police precinct. I had it's other use in mind, which I've just copied from wiki:
                "A precinct is a space enclosed by the walls or other boundaries of a particular place or building, or by an arbitrary and imaginary line drawn around it."

Yeah I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.

I must add a big thanks to you Monty as well as Rob and Debra for the article in the latest Ripperologist (127).
                We will not.

Comment

i have been looking for the start date for this and cant find it at all....have we heard what date it will be yet ?

Comment

Been wondering the same myself...

Dave

Comment

from "Dark Horizons" Aug 30th...

Ripper Street
                      Something I missed from the other week as well today. The BBC have released this very early tease for its impressive sounding eight-part drama series "Ripper Street" which is set around Whitechapel in 1889 - six months after Jack the Ripper claimed his last victim.

Originally thought to be held back until early next year, there's now indications the show could pop up sometime before the year's out on both BBC and BBC America.

Comment

coming in January of 2013

Comment

That's good news Dennis...and welcome by the way!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Startuing in the UK over Christmas, and January 2013 in the US.....

.....Are we ready for the influx of Newbies?

Monty
                            Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Don't you just wish Jack could see all that has been done regarding the mystery of him.

He obviously was not all there, but he's all HERE.

Sometimes I think if we were to find out who he was that he'd be rather a disappointment, a screwball, with a brain half falling out of his head. He's no mastermind, but he evidently had animal cunning.

Comment

Newbies

Are we ready for the influx of Newbies?
                                Yeah...Why not! (I'm sure you'll be among the first to greet them, as you were with me)

Regards, Bridewell.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X