James Mason Whitechapel Film?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Mason Whitechapel Film?

Hi, In one of the podcasts I believe Mr. Menges says that there exists a film made in the 60s about "the Whitechapel nobody knows", touching on the Ripper scenes. It is hosted by James Mason. Does anybody know whether it can be seen on Youtube or anywhere else? Thanks

It's actually called "The London Nobody Knows". It's a favourite of many people on these boards, including me, and really is a superb "time capsule" of the east end in 1967.

It can be ordered here:

All the best
    Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
      Hi, In one of the podcasts I believe Mr. Menges says that there exists a film made in the 60s about "the Whitechapel nobody knows", touching on the Ripper scenes. It is hosted by James Mason. Does anybody know whether it can be seen on Youtube or anywhere else? Thanks
      This should be it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjIUQqrkJdU

Further information here in this Google.

Cheers

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

It is a fascinating film, and lots of it can be seen on youtube.

Watching it always makes me wonder did those people not understand how interesting or important history is/was.

If I was in the vicinity of 29 Hanbury St just before it ws demolished I would have abstracted the front and back doors, the big sign which ran accross the top of the ground floor, the steps into the garden, and all the back yard stones I could bear away!

I also wonder the same thing when Leonard Matters was hanging around in Miller's court just before it too was demolished.

Why didn't he make off with the window frame, the door, the wooden partition, and anything else left in the room.

Iam sure if the workmen tasked with the destruction of those buildings were approached with some money in hand they would have gladly come to an arrangment with an interested party.

Or did people just not care enough, or underestimate the sites importance?

Mind you surely Matters must have realised the importance of the locations, despite his book being ludicrous.

doris
        ..."(this is my literary discovery and is copyright protected)"...

Comment

I firmly believe that some of these objects WERE taken, and I'm grateful for it, but now they need to be given up by whomever. It is a shame the authorities in London did not preserve some of it. Please tell me how to see more of the James Mason film on Youtube. I can only get the one minute Hanbury St. piece to play. The cost for the film is about $50. US with shipping so I won't be able to buy that! Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
            I firmly believe that some of these objects WERE taken, and I'm grateful for it, but now they need to be given up by whomever. It is a shame the authorities in London did not preserve some of it. Please tell me how to see more of the James Mason film on Youtube. I can only get the one minute Hanbury St. piece to play. The cost for the film is about $50. US with shipping so I won't be able to buy that! Thanks again.

ghoulston dear boy,
            Iam doing my best to get the entire film.

when I do I would gladly post you a copy, for free.

doris

Comment

Hi Doris,
              I am lucky enough to have walked right 29, Hanbury street at 530am on the 8th September 1965, as part of my visits to that area, at the relevant dates and times.
              If only I knew that over forty years later , I would be corresponding on the internet, I would have obtained some item , even if it was a paint flake etc[ I believe someone did on Casebook] however I did achieve my goal that autumn, to feel the atmosphere of just being there...
              Incidently with regard to Millers court, I believe when the houses were demolished, the foreman on site, was rumoured to have sold many a brick, as momentoes, how I wish I was around then.
              Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi,
                Forgot to mention, I did actually touch the door, before walking on.. no big deal, but I was there exactly 77years to the time and day, when through that door JtR passed.
                Richard.

Comment

The London Nobody Knows is available as a DVD on Ebay for £7 or thereabouts, Ghoulston, and you may also care to check this thread:-

Regards.

Garry Wroe.

Comment

Thanks for the links and info. I had never heard of this film before and watching the clip of it on you tube deffinately makes it an item to add to my collection. Thanks again everyone!

Esther

Comment

Little Doris, I would be so grateful! Your dear boy, Ghoulston

Comment

Said it before somewheres on this forum, but in or around 1970 I actually had my hand on the knob of the door at 29 Hanbury Street, and would have turned it and opened the door had I not lost my bottle - I couldn't be sure if the premises were still occupied. I just scarpered.

Also, somewhere on this forum are photos of Millers Court during its demolition.

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Not sure where the original thread is, but the analysis of the Miller's Court demolition picture is here: http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=1755

All the best
                          Andrew

Comment

Crikey!

How interesting, thanks for posting the location of the Miller's court demolition thread.

I have often wondered when, if ever, did number 13 get a new tenant? And who were they? And did they ever get rid of those dreadful stains on the partition wall?

doris

Comment

I just watched the film, its jolly interesting.

Those poor people in the Salvation army place.

doris

Comment

Working...
                              X