No announcement yet.

Stewart Evans and Don Rumbelow on History Channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Bob, do you happen to remember the name of the production company?
    “Sans arme, sans violence et sans haine”

Comment

Magpie,

It was an American production. Nothing knew, except a woman graphologist who compared the Lusk letter with Tumblety's handwriting and showed that the loop of the letter Y (on both hand-writtings) went too far down on to the next paragraph, envolving entire words with the Y or G letters. Then, some discovery about some writtings in the Scotland Yard archives where it mentions that Tumblety was actually arrested by the police for gross indecency and that he was a suspect by the police at the time. Also, that Tumblety changed his address when his landlady found blood in his room but the police could only arrest him on this gross indecency charge.

Comment

Is Samuelson's out of business? Why didn't they just get their stuff there? Is Maidstone near Whitechapel? Somehow doesn't look like it. Very nice premise for the doc. Finally some filmmaker is resisting the temptation to hang it on a particular guy.

Comment

IMHO Don and Stewart were great in that History Channel thing - the 'profiler drove me MAD!!!!- but the up and coming looks - well interesting- No BRILLIANT as long as there's NO Tumbelty!!!! and I'm sure there won't be!!!-No ref to Tim Riordan's pic either!! xxxx
          'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by ghoulstonstreet View Post
            Is Samuelson's out of business? Why didn't they just get their stuff there? Is Maidstone near Whitechapel? Somehow doesn't look like it. Very nice premise for the doc. Finally some filmmaker is resisting the temptation to hang it on a particular guy.
            Maidstone is not near Whitechapel. It is in Kent, 40 miles (65 km) away and is where Paul Begg's pub is located. I have not been there but am looking forward to that pint Paul has promised me.

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

New Documentary

The round table talks were filmed in Pauls pub in Maidstone, then the following day everything moved to whitechapel.

A series of interviews was filmed in a fantastic house in Princelet Street, very atmospheric we expected JTR to pass through the rooms at any moment. Thats where the picture of the film crew was taken.

Comment

Another thing that I found interesting was that his lodgings were not that far away, a short 15 mins. walking distance from the streets where the murders took place and as we know... he liked to dress up but it puts it all nicely together. It makes you think that someone who likes to dress up, could have easily disguised himself, when he went to perpetrate these murders. It probably wasn't a local man because he would have been found out, right away, but a gentleman from abroad who also liked to disguise himself, its possible... Another thing that I liked was that it didn't make claims about being the only one suspect.

Comment

Another thing that I found interesting was that his lodgings were not that far away, a short 15 mins.
                  Whose lodgings, Scarletpimpernel?

If you mean Tumblety, we have no idea where he was lodging at the time of the murders. He claimed, in a press interview, to have visited Whitechapel along with many others whose curiosity had been piqued by the murders, but there was never any indication that he was lodging there at the time.

It probably wasn't a local man because he would have been found out, right away
                  I think you'll find that a century's worth of experience of serial crime has demonstrated that the exact opposite is true.

All the best,
                  Ben

Comment

I may be being a bit stupid here but -

this thread started off as a documentary featuring Don & Stewart - already aired on TV.

Now everyone seems to be talking about a new documentary filmed at Paul Begg's pub - filmed for future airing.

Shouldn't this be a new thread?

Coral

Comment

Hello Ben

If memory serves me right, the programme showed the lodgings where Tumblety was staying at the time. It also mentioned that the Land-lady threw him out when she found lots of blood in his room. I could probably see the T.V. programme again to verify this. I also remember that Stewart Evans took a short stroll, in the company of the profiler to show it can be done in 15minutes without having to run or walk briskly to one of the streets where the murders took place.

Well, a gentleman who likes to disguise himself could look different. If I saw my sister dressed in disguise, I would recognize her.

Comment

Originally posted by scarletpimpernel View Post
                        Hello Ben

If memory serves me right, the programme showed the lodgings where Tumblety was staying at the time. It also mentioned that the Land-lady threw him out when she found lots of blood in his room. I could probably see the T.V. programme again to verify this. I also remember that Stewart Evans took a short stroll, in the company of the profiler to show it can be done in 15minutes without having to run or walk briskly to one of the streets where the murders took place.
                        Hi Scarlet,

The program was "Mystery Quest" as was mentioned on the first post of this thread. The assumtion, Ben, was that Tumblety was the Batty Street Lodger.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Hunter

When evidence is not to be had, theories abound. Even the most plausible of them do not carry conviction- London Times Nov. 10.1888

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, gentlemen.

I personally consider it highly unlikely that Tumblety ever had anything to do with any lodging house in Batty Street, but that's for the Tumblety threads!

All the best,
                          Ben

Comment

Ben

Is there any particular reason why you think it is highly unlikely that Tumblety had anything to do with the lodging house in Batty Street ?

Just your take, as we are commenting on the History Channel Programme "Mystery Quest"

Comment

Well..........

Originally posted by scarletpimpernel View Post
                              Ben

Is there any particular reason why you think it is highly unlikely that Tumblety had anything to do with the lodging house in Batty Street ?

Just your take, as we are commenting on the History Channel Programme "Mystery Quest"
                              There is absolutley nothing to connect Tumblety with the lodging house in Baty Street. The landlady, who I believe was German, stated that an American had left some blood stained shirts there. First off I defy a German speaker in those days to distinguish between an American, Canadian, Australian or even South African accent. ( Could your average English Landlady distinguish between a German, a Bavarian or an Austrian?) Secondly I believe it was later reported that the shirts were marked with paint and the police had no further interest in the Baty Street Lodger.

Comment

I'd have to agree with Bob here, Scarlet.

To make matters worse for any putative connection to Tumblety, several press reports stated that the lodger in question was a "foreigner" which, from the perspective of an Englishman, is a term usually reserved for non English-speaking individuals. The fleshed-out story involving blood-stained shirts was, at best, second-hand uncorroborated hearsay, it having originated not from the German landlady herself, but from unidentified "neighbours". There's no evidence that the landlady ever confirmed the account, and the police were reported to have denied the story. Besides, the idea that the killer would hand over his gore-stained shirts to his landlady doesn't sound terribly plausible.

As Bob points out, it was subsequently reported that the lodger in question had been taken into custody where he gave a satisfactory account of himself, thereby putting an end to their interest in the affair.

All the best,
                                Ben
                                Last edited by Ben; 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X