Whitechapel Society & 'you Tube'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family History

Hi, Stephen, how are you? "Weird and wonderful" sounds good to me!

I have a great interest in the subject of Family History, probably inherited from my father who was the family historian and 'story-teller'. He had an amazing memory for the family stories & anecdotes he heard throughout his life, and over the years he passed them on to me.

My father & I were eventually able to develop what seemed to be very minor and scattered bits of genealogical information into detailed family trees.

Often the "clue" which pointed us in the right direction was an old family story, or even a single tantalizing remark that was still recalled but whose meaning had been lost.

For instance, when my Dad was a very small boy his Irish Grandmother told him her Great-Great-something-Grandfather had been "a French military officer". My father remembered this his whole life but was baffled as to how it could possibly be true, as the family was definitely Irish. He always regretted that he hadn't found out the details while his Grandma was still alive, so after he retired he took up genealogy and went in search of the answer to this riddle. What he found out was that our ancestor was one of the Irish Catholic Rebel soldiers called 'The Wild Geese' who fled Ireland in the 1690's, went to France, and entered the French Army. He became a respected General and led the famous Dillon regiment of the French Army's 'Irish Brigade'- my Dad's Grandma was right!

The reason I'm telling this story is that my Dad was the only one in his family who remembered his Grandma's unlikely sounding story, took it seriously, and bothered to research it. Everyone else in the family said, "We're not French, so that can't be right; either Grandma was mixed up or you heard her wrong."

It's true, sometimes the details of a family's oral history are garbled a bit in the retelling, but oftentimes real gems are passed down which can be illuminated by subsequent research.

I don't expect Ms. Kendall's story to "finally solve" the Ripper Murders, but I'm sure it will be an interesting story and food for thought, and who knows what else it might lead to?

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

Fascinating stuff, Archaic. 1690 is certainly going back a bit! Fiona has indicated that there is a strong family belief as to who JTR was and what the motivation was and that this has previously been kept secret within the family. Hopefully her book will come out sooner rather than later.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hello Adrian,
        I hope I did not come across as Anti- Fiona, infact I was proberly her biggest supporter when she recorded those few posts on Casebook, I was truely fascinated with the snippits[ albeit briefly] she revealed, and I am sure she poccesses a lot of family history that could be extremely intresting to every one of us crime buffs.
        All the best
        Richard.

Comment

Richard,

I think we all have a duty to ask questions and people have a duty to answer them the best they can, a great example was a visit we had at the Whitechapel Society a few years ago by Trevor Marriott.

Trevor's original book had certain controversial elements in it but he was able to stand up and be questioned at one of the meetings and argue his case. He may not have convinced everybody, but he did win us over with his charm and dignity.

Where other authors/theorists et al have failed is not to engage with their audience. We all can put names forward for these people!

So you are right to ask questions and gain sources for statements and this neither makes you pro or negative.

ADRIAN.
          Hello

Comment

What I have gained from these posts on this subject:

You all would like to see the Fiona Kendall film on our YOU TUBE channel!

I will work on this and put it up as soon as possible!

ADRIAN.
            Hello

Comment

Hi Adrian-

It would be wonderful to see Fiona's talk

Cheers
              Suzi x
              Last edited by Suzi; 11-07-2009, 05:35 PM.
              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by adrian View Post
                What I have gained from these posts on this subject:

You all would like to see the Fiona Kendall film on our YOU TUBE channel!

I will work on this and put it up as soon as possible!

ADRIAN.
                xxxxxxxxx brilliant! Thanks

Comment

Thanks Suzi,

I can't wait to see it myself now!!!

ADRIAN.
                  Hello

Comment

Ws1888/ You Tube - Question Time - Whitechapel

Dear all,

I can now announce that the video of the Whitechapel Society meeting in February is now up on our 'You Tube' channel.

Simply log onto You Tube and put 'Whitechapelsociety' or 'WS1888' in the search bar.

Or, alternatively, click on the links below. The film comes in five sections:

Part one:
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Follow on from there.

ADRIAN.
                    (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
                    Hello

Comment

Just checked- couldn't find a Fiona - that could of course just be me..........

Comment

WS1888: JBL Dinner - Sheraz

Dear all,

We have now posted up film of the Whitechapel Society's 'Jeremy Beadle Lecture' dinner that was held in honour of the late Jeremy Beadle with all profits going towards the Children with Leukaemia charity as part of the Whitechapel Society's wider events that weekend.
                        The event was held at the Sheraz restaurant in Brick Lane that was once the Frying Pan public house. John Bennett gave us a superb talk on the history of the Frying Pan.

Click on the link below to enjoy:
                        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy
                        Hello

Comment

A big thanks for making these viewable.
                          I appreciate why so many people upload to Youtube (they do the hosting) but Youtube always put any type of video file you upload in a Flash .flv wrapper. They never look that good when you try to convert them back to a more conventional format I find.
                          It would be great if you could uploaded the originals to one of the many file hosters and then give out links. Or even torrent them on one of the torrent sites that only have legal torrents.
                          Sorry for the moan. I'm one of those types who like to have a local copy of anything I'm interested in and if possible the best copy I can get. Youtube tend to downscale the resolution as well as 'flashing' it.
                          Anyway thanks again.
                          These are not clues, Fred.
                          It is not yarn leading us to the dark heart of this place.
                          They are half-glimpsed imaginings, tangle of shadows.
                          And you and I floundering at them in the ever vainer hope that we might corral them into meaning when we will not.
                          We will not.

Comment

Hi,

We have a new video posted on Youtube of the talk given by the brilliant M. J. Trow back in August last year.

Click on this link to view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjO9WwB3Pk

Enjoy.

ADRIAN.
                            (Editor: Whitechapel Society Journal)
                            Hello

Comment

Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                              It would be wonderful to see Fiona's talk
                              It certainly would be. Fiona gave me her email address but my wife put the shirt I'd been wearing in the washing machine without emptying the pocket and the paper disintegrated so the chances of me conversing with JM's great grand-daughter are now unlikely.
                              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Hi,
                                Oral history mayby,but Fiona has a lot of opinions from first hand sources, but unfortunately the impatient amongst us, left a sour taste, and she retreated from this site immediately.
                                I personally speaking was saddened, and its Casebooks loss..
                                Regards Richard.

Comment

Working...
                                X