General Case ?'s Catherine Eddowes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G'Day Sluggo

I noticed when I was reading on the rules of the workhouses and casual wards that a few of them stated that if you go in on a Friday you are stuck until Monday, and if you come back prior to a 30 day absence that you now have a 4 night stay. I wonder how may of the wards in the Whitechapel, Spitalfields, and other surrounding districts had this distinct rule?
    I am not 100% sure but I "thought" that this two were London wide. I am almost certain that the Friday to Monday rule applied across all of England, I am also fairly sure that you couldn't get in over the weekend.

I will try and find some references that I have from years and years ago.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

both

Hello GUT. Thanks.

Or perhaps both?

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

rule

Hello Sluggo. Thanks.

So far as I know, that was everywhere the rule.

I thought Kate was in the newer facility?

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

The Apron

Hi All,
          New question.
          Why is the White Apron not listed in any of the clothing inventories regarding Catherine?

I have scoured them and it is not mentioned. Why?

Thanks, Sluggo
          Gonna Be a Book Someday....

Comment

It's the last item on the list.

"1 Piece of old White Apron".
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

G'day Sluggo

A piece because the other bit was elsewhere.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                G'Day Sluggo

It all goes back to that Victorian [and probably pre Victorian] attitude that anyone who could not provide for themselves was responsible for their own situation because of laziness, lack of moral standards and the like.

It couldn't have simply been bad luck, ill health or a lack of available work.

So off to a workhouse you go and one of the aims of workhouses seems to have included changing your moral outlook and work ethics, so you would never be in the same situation again.

Of course if they made you work while in there you would work when you got out, it was all about reprogramming.
                Are you available to speak on this at the next Republican national convention?

Comment

G'day Barnaby

Don't misunderstand I said Victorian attitude, not mine.
                  G U T

Comment

Sorry, GUT, I realized this but FOX viewers wouldn't!

Comment

In that case yes I will gladly address the conference for you, ay mt usual fee of course.
                      G U T

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                        It's the last item on the list.

"1 Piece of old White Apron".
                        I was mis-interpreting that on the list.
                        Thank you..

Comment

As has been said before, A casual ward is not the same as a workhouse. A Workhouse was more like a prison, once admitted you could not get out, you had to serve your time doing dreary hard labour, families were split up. Once a family was in the workhouse they had reached the bottom of the line, the land of no hope. Every working class family feared the workhouse.
                          The casual ward was casual, a short term overnight stay to be paid for by a day's work.
                          Catherine Eddowes life and that of the other five may have been poverty stricken and desperate at times, but they could still drink, have relationships, and move about, unlike the poor souls in the Workhouse, they were free.

Miss Marple

Comment

Hello All,
                            Is there a Manifest or Roster that was kept for the Casual Wards? The reason I ask, is I am wondering if Catherine really stayed in a Casual Ward Friday night.... She was released very very early.... Any help with rosters is appreciated.

Thank you,
                            Sluggo

Comment

Hi All,
                              So what is up with The Special Branch, Edward Jenkinson, and Catherine Eddowes? I ran across some interesting reading yesterday, (Felicity Lowde), regarding Kate and John's involvement with the Special Branch. I've seen documents, which are hard to disregard.
                              The woman haunts me for some reason. I think its Because she and MJK are at the heart of the mystery.
                              I know, I know.... Still a novice... But the adventure, is obsessive.

Truly,

Sluggo

Comment

false alarm

Hello Sluggo. It has been established that those were NOT our John and Kate. Trevor found the REAL John and Debs, the real Catherine.

I don't think Kate was at MECW either.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X