Special Branch Register and Ledger-decison Notice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appeal ?

Dodgy buisness the appeal, with what I've seen in the press about the British Police force and some British Newspaper's lately, all the best of luck any way Trevor. " Justice ".......

Comment

• Does this have a link to 'Wilson'?

Melbourne, December 3rd - In connection with the Hawthorne Mystery, a Sydney resident named Wilson is reported to be missing; he was assaulted and robbed, and gave a man in charge for this offence.
      At the trial Wilson did not appear to prosecute, and a warrant was issued for his arrest as an unwilling witness, but he was never found.
      The detectives have received two anonymous letters concluding with the words 'beware of Jack the Ripper'.

Coincendence?

Comment

• Originally posted by RobertM View Post
        Melbourne, December 3rd - In connection with the Hawthorne Mystery, a Sydney resident named Wilson is reported to be missing; he was assaulted and robbed, and gave a man in charge for this offence.
        At the trial Wilson did not appear to prosecute, and a warrant was issued for his arrest as an unwilling witness, but he was never found.
        The detectives have received two anonymous letters concluding with the words 'beware of Jack the Ripper'.

Coincendence?
        I have identified who the entry refers to along with the other names mentioned from the ledgers but after all the headaches and pain I suffered in getting them and subsequently identifying them I have decided to keep them to myself

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
          I have identified who the entry refers to along with the other names mentioned from the ledgers but after all the headaches and pain I suffered in getting them and subsequently identifying them I have decided to keep them to myself
          Was the Bushmill's reference anything to do with this?

Comment

• Hi Debs. It's nice to see you trying your hand at a little research for a change, instead of leaving it to Trevor to do all the hard work.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• Byrne

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Is there a link to the "Byrne" who finagled knives for Phoenix Park?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Who is Wilson and what is Bushmills?

Comment

• What is the status of the appeal? Can Casebooks subscribers help? Thanks
                  Barrister

Comment

• Originally posted by Barrister View Post
                    What is the status of the appeal? Can Casebooks subscribers help? Thanks
                    Barrister
                    The Tribunal refused leave to appeal. The decision is here:

That decision acknowledges a blunder in the interpretation of the law which I find absolutely astonishing. The implication was that the Tribunal didn't actually know whether or not the disputed information was exempt from disclosure, but they excused themselves from making that decision because it would "involve a disproportionate amount of time and effort". They concluded that "the greatest [sic] part of it" was exempt on the balance of probabilities, but obviously the law requires that all of it should be exempt on the balance of probabilities. What can one do?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      That decision acknowledges a blunder in the interpretation of the law which I find absolutely astonishing.
                      Just to clarify, the blunder was that the Tribunal believed that information in historical records relating to 'investigations' was exempt even if it did not relate to confidential sources. In fact, unless there is a question of confidentiality, such information is not exempt if it is more than 30 years old.

Confidentiality was the question on which the whole appeal depended, and the Tribunal made its decision in the belief that confidentiality was irrelevant!

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
                        You don't need to be Rob Clack to figure out R Churchill Maria.

Monty

I was intrigued by this, having recently watched a TV documentary on Jenny Jerome Churchill, which mentioned some details about her husband, including his personality and mental state.
                        I had said, half-jokingly, "there's a Jack the Ripper type!" My companion said that a fiction book she was reading on the Whitechapel murders did mention that Randolph Churchill was a suspect.
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

• Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                          Lord Randolph Churchill was Sir Winston's dad, Maria. He has been suggested as a suspect, but not really very seriously. You can read about him here:
                          http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...morley/36.html
                          Thank you for the link, perhaps it will answer some of my own questions about him...
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

Working...
                          X