process of elimination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• process of elimination

Hello. Looking at the case of Jack the Ripper is like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle. Normally, to solve such a puzzle one piece is added painstakingly to another until a final picture emerges. Occasionally, a piece seems to fit; but, later, several pieces are out of place. It is then that one must go back and retrace his steps until arriving at the one piece that looked like it fit but did not. Oftentimes, given colour and shape, it seemed that it HAD to fit, but on retrospect was misplaced.

Permit me to propose the same strategy vis-a-vis Jack. Consequently, if you could remove a single piece of "evidence" from the case as a "poor fit," what would it be?

It could be a victim, maybe Stride or Kelly.

Perhaps it is a message, as "Dear Boss" or "From Hell" or the "GSG."

Maybe it is a witness, say Hutchinson or Schwartz.

It might even be a police statement causing us to look in the wrong place, like the memoranda or the marginalia.

How about a doctor/coroner's statement?

Possibly, there are SEVERAL pieces out of place?

Please give a brief reason for your elimination.

LC

I think the problem is that it's a jigsaw puzzle where some of the pieces are in the trash and some other parts have been mixed in from another puzzle. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't check though.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

pieces

Hello. Which are your favorite candidates for those added pieces?

LC

Comment

Take each of the C5 murders (smaller puzzles), piece them together seperately, then in the end see if they have the same solution. If they do then you have Jack the Ripper (big puzzle).

I believe the problem with trying to remove or add any puzzle piece (evidence) to the big puzzle as a whole is that you dont know which smaller puzzle belongs to your big puzzle and which ones dont.

Which witness had it right and which one didnt? Which letter was from Jack and which ones where hoaxs? those are all small puzzles that have to be solved before they can be included in or excluded from the big puzzle.
        'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

A Missing Piece

Hi Lynn

I must say, I rather like your Jigsaw analogy. My nomination for a piece that seems to fit, but may not, would be the GSG. It was responsible for confusion in 1888 and may well be the cause of much misdirected effort today.

You have suggested an interesting way to look at the case - but even replacing a bigger piece (e.g. Stride's murder) is unlikely to produce a definitive picture.

Regards,
          Autolycus.
          "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

GSG piece of puzzle

Hello. That's an interesting hypothesis. Do you think it possible (likely?) that the GSG was just the work of children who hadn't learned to spell properly and was merely coincidental to the piece of apron? (Those are my thoughts too.)

LC

Comment

Discard all the Ripper letters, there all hoaxes and discard the GSG as well that would be a good start.

Comment

changing view

Hello. I tend to agree with that assessment.

How do you think Ripperologists would proceed if those items were eliminated? Do you think it more likely that our view of "Jack" might change and we would regard him as less clever and taunting--hence less intelligent?

LC

Comment

Street-Wise Jack

Hi Lynn

With regard to the GSG.

Not necessarily kids. However, I'd bet that there were similar racist rants on many other walls. In my view it was just the coincidental location of the discarded apron that made this one so notable and provocative. I can't bring myself to believe that whoever had slaughtered at least one unfortunate that evening, who was probably blood stained to some degree and was well aware of the escalating hue and cry around him would pause to carefully write this bit of nonsense.

With regard to JTRs Intellect.

The removal of this piece of the jigsaw would not alter my own view of Jack's intelligence. I do not see a master conspirator trying to cover up a scandal or a political zealot trying to undermine the state. I see a deeply sick and obsessed individual, following his own unique agenda. I feel that he remains undetected because he was immersed in the ways of the East End. Street-wise in the extreme.

Regards,
                  Autolycus.
                  "...a snapper-up of unconsidered trifles."

Comment

As reguards estimating Jack the Rippers intelligence I think we are on dodgy ground especially when that leads to people making assumptions based on an estimated interlect. It is also worth noting that most serial killers wether there intelligence is high, low or somewhere in between tend to be extremely effective at not getting caught.

Comment

from one who thinks he DOESN'T know

Hello. I like the racist rant conjecture. But why "Juwes"?

LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

I think several aspects of the case studies you mentioned should be discarded, including Liz's Canonization and perhaps Marys, but the main problem isnt seeing the forest for the trees.....its in how accurately Macnaughten, Bond, and Ripperology has categorized these killings.

If 3 or more people committed the Canonical Group murders, why then am I supposed to look for a blood thirsty killer of 5 without any indication of why he would kill these 5 women and why so differently. 3 women were stalked, subdued and killed in the same manner...one has extenuating circumstantial data that precludes an immediate placement in any "series"...and 2 were killed differently, and for different reasons. One was simply killed. One was fodder for a dissection student.

The main problems with looking for Jack today are with the legacy positions, IMHO.

He didnt have to live in the East End
                        He didnt have to be poor
                        He didnt have to be any of the men seen with victims
                        He didnt have to kill as many as 5
                        He didnt have to kill only 5
                        He may have killed far more than 5
                        He didnt have to be mentally incompetent
                        He didnt have to be unemployed
                        He didnt have to be a known criminal
                        He didnt have to be Jewish
                        He didnt have to have evaded arrest
                        He didnt have to be bloodthirsty
                        He didnt have to lack self control.....

If we start with unsolved murders in 1888, and eliminate a Canon...thats a great start.

Cheers Lynn.
                        Last edited by Guest; 09-17-2009, 08:02 PM.

Comment

myth dies hard

Hello. Mr. Mason, a good answer, as usual. Myth dies hard, but in recent weeks my readings seem to uncover evidence that militates against a "Jack."

I hated to part with "Dear Boss" and "Saucy Jack." THOSE were what lent piquancy to the legend (if human butchery can be called such). But they had to go. So did the GSG.

Kelly just doesn't fit. Stride was on her side--not her back like Polly and Annie. Kate's face was hacked up.

30 odd years ago, the notion was "It had to be a doctor." Cream was touted by a magazine article I'd read. I suppose my last hope lies with the doctor's son from Blackheath. But if Professor Spallek succeeds in clearing him, I think I'LL jump into the Thames and they can fish ME out.

Thanks!

LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                            Hello. Mr. Mason, a good answer, as usual. Myth dies hard, but in recent weeks my readings seem to uncover evidence that militates against a "Jack."

I hated to part with "Dear Boss" and "Saucy Jack." THOSE were what lent piquancy to the legend (if human butchery can be called such). But they had to go. So did the GSG.

Kelly just doesn't fit. Stride was on her side--not her back like Polly and Annie. Kate's face was hacked up.

30 odd years ago, the notion was "It had to be a doctor." Cream was touted by a magazine article I'd read. I suppose my last hope lies with the doctor's son from Blackheath. But if Professor Spallek succeeds in clearing him, I think I'LL jump into the Thames and they can fish ME out.

Thanks!

LC
                            A real Dr Stanley would be perfect I think Lynn....and Im glad to hear youre evaluating some of the core beliefs that are perpetuated. This exposure to real researchers and authors has taught me that its very difficult for them to step back from their peers, or step forward...whatever... and offer some new theories when they know they must defeat the old ones first and deal with the disbelief and derision.

Thats where amateurs like me and sites like this can be of value....because Ill sometimes openly question something before I think I already know the true answer, and Ill suggest something that is possible but not "accepted". Because Im not concerned with being a "peer" per se...this is more like a student-teacher relationship, and we alternate roles at times.

My best to you Lynn.

Comment

memorandum

Hello. That brings up an interesting question. If Sir Melville's Memorandum were eliminated--"There were EXACTLY 5 . . ."--how would Ripperology differ today from what it is?

LC

Comment

Working...
                              X