Shelley house location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelley house location

Can anyone pinpoint the location of the Percy Shelley house, in Chelsea, where a portion of Liz Jackson's body was deposited in 1889? I thought it would be simple to find but I can't work it out. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    Can anyone pinpoint the location of the Percy Shelley house, in Chelsea, where a portion of Liz Jackson's body was deposited in 1889? I thought it would be simple to find but I can't work it out. Any ideas?
    id actually like to see a map of the city that included all the sites marked where the torsos/parts and ripper victims were found.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

There´s an even race, Jerry!

Comment

Lol. No kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          id actually like to see a map of the city that included all the sites marked where the torsos/parts and ripper victims were found.
          Yes, I'd like that too. I have a rough paper version, but it's barely legible. An interactive online one would be ace.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Fish. I did find that thread, but I can't see the actual location/address of the house in it (my eyes are playing up though, so I may have missed it) - am I correct in thinking the address was 1, Tite Street? I saw the picture of the house from 1909 (very nice) and judging from the large conservatory on the side it looks like the easternmost house on the embankment; not actually in Tite St at all, but adjoining the hospital grounds.
            Which fits with Debra's belief that it had a frontage on the embankment. But according to a site about the Shelley Theatre, it was demolished in 1912 and replaced by Shelley Court, which today is at 56 Tite St (on the west side, just up from Dilke St. However, this seems to have a date of 1898 on it, using Street view.

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Fish. I did find that thread, but I can't see the actual location/address of the house in it (my eyes are playing up though, so I may have missed it) - am I correct in thinking the address was 1, Tite Street? I saw the picture of the house from 1909 (very nice) and judging from the large conservatory on the side it looks like the easternmost house on the embankment; not actually in Tite St at all, but adjoining the hospital grounds.
              Which fits with Debra's belief that it had a frontage on the embankment. But according to a site about the Shelley Theatre, it was demolished in 1912 and replaced by Shelley Court, which today is at 56 Tite St (on the west side, just up from Dilke St. However, this seems to have a date of 1898 on it, using Street view.
              The address was 1, Chelsea Embankment. The theatre was in a different house on Tite Street.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                The address was 1, Chelsea Embankment. The theatre was in a different house on Tite Street.
                Aaah, that would explain a lot! I thought I'd read that the theatre was built in the back garden of his house, but maybe that was a metaphorical back garden.
                So the house did have the hospital grounds bordering it's east side?
                Is t still there? Is it the one on the corner of Embankment Gardens?

Comment

Aaah, that would explain a lot! I thought I'd read that the theatre was built in the back garden of his house, but maybe that was a metaphorical back garden.
                  So the house did have the hospital grounds bordering it's east side?
                  Is t still there? Is it the one on the corner of Embankment Gardens?
                  The embankment house is gone. I did find this picture of the front. http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-per...105317187.html

Shelley was involved in a legal battle with a neighbor over the theatre on Tite Street. I'll have to see if i can dig it up. The picture makes it seem as if he had a theatre in the embankment house but I think that is in error.

He had many houses if you look below the picture in the link.

Embankment Gardens was a different street a little to the east. John Paget Mellor lived at 1, Embankment Gardens.
                  Last edited by jerryd; 01-04-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Cheers JD. That pic you just posted says the house contained the theatre, but you say it was elsewhere....that's the sort of thing that could confuse a simple person like me.
                    Last edited by Joshua Rogan; 01-04-2017, 02:25 PM.

Comment

Cheers JD. That pic you just posted says the house contained the theatre, but you say it was elsewhere....that's the sort of thing that could confuse a simple person like me.
                      Hi Joshua,

This may clear it up for you.

The front of the house I posted here could possibly be the Tite Street house which did contain a theatre?

Comment

Dave Gates did some mapping of the torso finds a few years ago and there's also some more stuff about the location of Shelley House in the thread he started here:

Comment

Working...
                        X