Oh, murder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    I do not ignore them. But you ignored the word used at the inquest in the original inquest source.
    But my dear dear boy, if two words are synonymous with each other what does it matter which one is used?

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    What?
    Well my dear fellow, in her written statement Prater referred to hearing "screams of murder" whereas at the inquest she said it was a "cry".

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
      As any historian would tell you my dear boy, just because a source is "original" it does not necessarily mean it is more accurate than another, "non-original" source.
      The reason for the higher position of the inquest source is not per se that it is an original.

The reason is that reporters and editors had their own interests when writing about the case. They sold newspapers so they had very clear commercial interests.

The inquest papers where not sold on a market and therefore were not connencted to any commercial interests.

Comment

But my dear dear boy, if two words are synonymous with each other what does it matter which one is used?

Well my dear fellow, in her written statement Prater referred to hearing "screams of murder" whereas at the inquest she said it was a "cry".
        Yes, but we were not discussing the police investigations but the inquest, and at the inquest Prater said "cry". So you transformed the word in the inquest source.

You transformed in in #187 where I discuss the "oh" with you.

"Then at the coroner's inquest it became a single scream in a faint voice."
        Wrong. She said "cry". At the inquest.

Comment

Yes, but we were not discussing the police investigations but the inquest, and at the inquest Prater said "cry". So you transformed the word in the inquest source.

You transformed in in #187 where I discuss the "oh" with you.

Wrong. She said "cry". At the inquest.
          My dear boy I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your delightfully amusing postings.

Comment

My dear boy I can't tell you how much I am enjoying your delightfully amusing postings.
            But you just did so most of your statements seem to become contradictions.

Comment

The reason for the higher position of the inquest source is not per se that it is an original.

The reason is that reporters and editors had their own interests when writing about the case. They sold newspapers so they had very clear commercial interests.

The inquest papers where not sold on a market and therefore were not connencted to any commercial interests.
              Yes my dear boy, you have trapped me there with your razor-like intellectual skills. For the newspapers surely sold thousands more copies by falsely reporting minor details of an inquest's proceedings. And the genius of it is that no-one could possibly ever have known what they were up to.

Comment

Yes my dear boy, you have trapped me there with your razor-like intellectual skills. For the newspapers surely sold thousands more copies by falsely reporting minor details of an inquest's proceedings. And the genius of it is that no-one could possibly ever have known what they were up to.
                Well, sorry. But that is a problem. We simply do not know what was left out, what was misinterpreted, what was emphasized and what was speculations. You can compare articles and find both differences and similarities but journalists and editors knew each other and competed on the same market. Ask Fisherman.

Comment

Well, sorry. But that is a problem. We simply do not know what was left out, what was misinterpreted, what was emphasized and what was speculations. You can compare articles and find both differences and similarities but journalists and editors knew each other and competed on the same market. Ask Fisherman.
                  Are you suggesting that newspapers speculated as to what was said at inquests, rather than report the proceedings verbatim? What's your evidence for this?

Comment

As we know from many of your previous posts, my dear boy, you don't understand the difference between newspaper articles in general and newspaper reports of court proceedings. You never have understood it, you still don't understand it and I'm guessing you never will. But the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not, is that there was no sensationalism (i.e. fabrication) in reporting of court proceedings in the newspapers, nor was it even possible for there to be any, and, indeed, newspaper reports of court proceedings had their own special status in English law which recognised this. Ask a historian.

Comment

• I'm not sure if I'm imagining this but when I was studying law as an undergraduate, admittedly some time ago now, I seem to remember a tutor mentioning that The Times Law Reports had to be approved by the judge. Is this correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by John G View Post
                        I'm not sure if I'm imagining this but when I was studying law as an undergraduate, admittedly some time ago now, I seem to remember a tutor mentioning that The Times Law Reports had to be approved by the judge. Is this correct?
                        You're thinking about judgments here John (i.e. in civil proceedings) not reports of the proceedings.

Comment

You're thinking about judgments here John (i.e. in civil proceedings) not reports of the proceedings.
                          Of course! Thanks David, an obvious mistake. I must be getting tired, but hopefully not "tired and emotional" in the George Brown sense.

Comment

Oh my dear boy, I mistyped at the end there, I meant self-confessed academic historian. Do forgive me.
                            A claim for which we are yet to see a shred of evidence, be it in the form of a deposition or a news report.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• "As if at my door"..was what Sarah said. Which indicates the cry emanated from the courtyard somewhere. Very near to her. That's almost exactly what Elizabeth said. Both had the same approximate time. Added to that something just before the cry stirred Elizabeths cat, indicating that whatever the sound was it came from somewhere close. No further noise was heard.

A scenario that has a hungover sleeping Kelly padding to her door to answer what was likely a tap or knock on the door or window...cue Diddles...and being audibly dismayed at having to do so is entirely consistent with the evidence provided by the 2 aforementioned witnesses. Simple..just like I said before David.

It is in sync with the witnesses, it would explain how the killer got into the room, it would also address the likelihood that Mary knew the person well enough to allow them access at almost 4am. Which in turn explains why no further sounds, voice or the like, were needed. Which is why the women heard nothing further, though it can be safely assumed both were listening for such sounds.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                "As if at my door"..was what Sarah said.
                                But did she say this, Michael?

Perhaps you are referring to the Daily Telegraph report of the inquest in which she is reported as saying:

"It seemed like the voice of a young woman. It sounded at our door".

That is a strange expression. I haven't found it corroborated in other newspapers. According to the East London Advertiser:

"witness thought that it came from the house opposite"

But then according to the Morning Advertiser:

"The cry was from where the shop is."

Whatever she said in court was summarised in her deposition as being:

"The sound seemed to come from the direction of deceaseds room".

Nothing in the deposition is said about the sound being at her door.

If she actually said that she thought the cry came from the shop, she must have just been saying that it came from the general direction of Kelly's room, i.e. somewhere in the direction of the Dorset Street end of the court.

In her written statement, of course, she said no more than "I heard a scream like that of a young woman, and seemed to be not far away."

Comment

Working...
                                X