How do Suspects compare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lave

Hello Jon. First of all, I apologise for the "siting" rather than "sighting." Atrocious. (In citing siting I lost track of sighting.)

Lave? Well, may or may not have been Lave.

Glad we at least agree on PC Smith.

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Lave? Well, may or may not have been Lave.
      That was a stab in the dark, I wasn't sure it was you who had offered that, but I remembered someone binging it up.

Glad we at least agree on PC Smith.
      Yes we do. And, given that Mrs Long also saw a man wearing the deerstalker, we have one common, albiet slender, point across two murders.

The fact PC Smith's suspect appeared to be only 28 years old, and Mrs Long's "over 40", must be tempered by a similar confusion spoken by both Diemschitz & Heshburg who estimated Stride's age as around 28, yet she was 45 years old.
      Which only demonstrates how unreliable age estimates are, along with estimates of height, and "time" of day.

When you think about, what on earth is there to rely on?

Regards, Jon S.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

• scenario

Hello Jon. Thanks. To be fair, Lave is the most likely one--given the time.

"And, given that Mrs Long also saw a man wearing the deerstalker, we have one common, albeit slender, point across two murders."

Good heavens! It was Sherlock Holmes wot dunnit! (heh-heh)

"When you think about, what on earth is there to rely on?"

Well, for me I need plausibility. Some scenario i can envision without strain.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

• Dynamite

Hello Dave. Was that the McGrath from the SB ledgers?
          Hi Lynn

No (at least I don't think so)...I think I read it a couple of years back...it was definitely on-line...an artist going to paint on the Isle of Wight was bundled off the jetty by the police and detained three days without charges being laid....I seem to recall they were suspicious of his white paint and took it away (initially burying it (!) then retrieving it and, after testing proved it innocent, releasing him without apology or explanation)...

It's so dammed frustrating not being able to recall where I saw it...I've been searching this afternoon but no joy so far....probably gone by now...just like my little grey cells mon ami!

Dave

Comment

• To Wickerman

You always move the goal-posts and just reiterate your position without debating it.

You've missed the point again, but then you know I'm a 'liberal' who coddles crims.

Lawende is the witness which the meagre extant record suggests the police took the most seriously.

Major Smith is a primary source and, for all his memory lapses, he backs up this notion.

What a strange world you live in, where people cannot even change their attire -- if it means Druitt might be 'Jack'.

Yes, that has to be resisted at all costs, doesn't it?

To Simon

Ahh, the return of the humourless pedant. I thought you weren't reading my posts, Mac and me.

Why don't you make yourself useful and publish that anti-Tumblety source?

To Bridewell

Some sound reasoning there, even if we don't always agree.

Comment

• frustrating

Hello Dave. Yes, frustrating.

Hope you can find it. Sounds interesting.

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan H
                To Wickerman

You always move the goal-posts and just reiterate your position without debating it.
                Wick is good peeps, but oh my lord, is this ever true.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

• The book was published in 1881,and it was printed in Czechoslovakia.Yes it was 25 years since the murders that Thomson took office,but surely the memories would have endured.Would he resist the temtation,no matter any pressing needs,to at least gain some idea of possible suspects when the chance presented itself.'Sir Basil Thompson was equally convinced that the Russion,Pedachenco,was the ripper'.This is what Alice writes.I do not know Alice,therefor I cannot comment on her statement.There is no indication of how or when she became aware of Thompson's belief,and of course no evidence that she is speaking the truth.It is words in a book,but so is 'The seaside home'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                    Only if you were wealthy enough to bring the action. There was no legal aid.

Regards, Bridewell.
                    I wasn't thinking so much of someone bringing an action against the police as wrongful detention being being remarked on in court by a prisoner or his defence. Or whether statistics of any kind were produced when the law was changed. The trouble is that while we know or can safely surmise that the rules were broken, we need to know how often they were broken in order to say with any degree of certain that they were broken in a specific case.

Comment

• Originally posted by harry View Post
                      The book was published in 1881,and it was printed in Czechoslovakia.Yes it was 25 years since the murders that Thomson took office,but surely the memories would have endured.Would he resist the temtation,no matter any pressing needs,to at least gain some idea of possible suspects when the chance presented itself.'Sir Basil Thompson was equally convinced that the Russion,Pedachenco,was the ripper'.This is what Alice writes.I do not know Alice,therefor I cannot comment on her statement.There is no indication of how or when she became aware of Thompson's belief,and of course no evidence that she is speaking the truth.It is words in a book,but so is 'The seaside home'.
                      Hi Harry,
                      I don't think we can safely base conclusions on what guesses about what Thomson may been sufficiently interested or been tempted by. The evidence we possess is that he wrote about Jack the Ripper in passing, and from his writings, career, and surviving documents, he was interested in and concerned by events which were contemporary and of immediate concern to him.

As explained, by others as well as myself, there is absolutely no evidence that Thomson was 'convinced' that Pedachenko was Jack the Ripper. None at all. That Pedachenko ever existed is also highly doubtful. And I don't know the author or the article you are talking about, or where or when it was published, so I have no clue as to its reliability, by prima facie it would appear based on Le Queux/McCormick.

Yes, 'the Seaside Home' is mentioned in a book, or rather in notes written in a book, but the writing is authentic, has impeccable provenance, and was written by an informed contemporary source who was probably acquainted with the facts, not by a writer one has never heard of in an unknown publication, using unknown sources, and claiming something which as far as is known has a very unreliable pedigree.

Cheers
                      Paul

Comment

• Kosminski has to rank very highly due to Swanson's notes intended for personal consumption. I don't go along with the 'old dribbling fool' school of thought. I mean, when people move into the 50+ sphere of their lives do they really lose the capacity to accurately record an ID and a suspect's name? In my mind, there are two options: 1) the notes are fraudulent 2) Kosminski was ID'd. I'm not accusing anyone of fraud although I do believe there was an attempt to make money on the back of these notes.

Then how does that square with the 'sailor' type seen by Lawende? Would Kosminski have dressed in such a fashion? And, it's fair to say that there's a good chance that 'sailor' was JTR.

I would love to know how it was determined Sadler was on a ship at the time of some of the murders, and would love to know a bit more about Grainger/Grant.

I've never been convinced that JTR was a local man.

On the local theme, one thing struck me the other night when reading the would Jack strike having been seen (Lawende). Well, yes he would, just as people do today.

A better question is this: a local man would have known that Morris was working, surely, and that the police beat went round that square - and was pretty tight in terms of time. When I was growing up and beyond I got to know all the nooks and crannies of the area in which I lived - knew people's habits etc. If Jack was local then I feel he would have known how little time he had and how much of a risk he was taking in that square - would he have struck had he known this? I certainly wouldn't have.

Seems that sailors did 'treat' women, which may explain the 'jolly new bonnet' and Stride hanging around. I do believe Coles and Sadler had some hat fiasco and arranged to meet at a later time. It would also explain the lapse in time between murders.

Take away Swanson's notes and a sailor seems the best bet to me.

Comment

• There are two other options, for more likely than the first two:

3) Swanson's memory failed him. Simon Wood recently posted an astute observation that, arguably, the more unlikely bits are only on the flyleaf. Therefore that section might have been written at a much later time when Swanson's memory really had begun to fade.

Or,

4) It is his annotation, for sure, but Swanson is recording what his beloved ex-boss told him, and it not a story he agrees with as he knows it did not happen quite like that. So he showed it to nobody, his family only coming across it by accident. Swanson did not need to write that he did not agree as it was just to himself, though the final, anti-climactic line does, arguably, hint at far less than a 'definitely, ascertained fact'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                            There are two other options, for more likely than the first two:

3) Swanson's memory failed him. Simon Wood recently posted an astute observation that, arguably, the more unlikely bits are only on the flyleaf. Therefore that section might have been written at a much later time when Swanson's memory really had begun to fade.

Or,

4) It is his annotation, for sure, but Swanson is recording what his beloved ex-boss told him, and it not a story he agrees with as he knows it did not happen quite like that. So he showed it to nobody, his family only coming across it by accident. Swanson did not need to write that he did not agree as it was just to himself, though the final, anti-climactic line does, arguably, hint at far less than a 'definitely, ascertained fact'.
                            Whilst the idea that Swanson's memory failed him is a possibility, there is no evidence that it did, and age isn't always accompanied by memory loss, and even when memories do fail it is more often about recent things and the details. Whether a major event in one's life, which the Ripper case may have been to Swanson, would easily be confused or forgotten or twisted out of shape is questionable.

I think the Jack the Ripper marginalia has to be assessed together with all the marginal notes which in the main are expansions of or correctives to what the author wrote, from which it can be seen - or, to be more cautious, may be argued - that the Ripper material was not a corrective because Swanson would have written a rejection of it (or not written marginal notes at all) if it had been.

Fleetwood Mac
                            Money was made from the marginalia, but not a great deal, and whilst I have no idea what Jim's financial position was at that time, his lovely home did not suggest a man in need of a few bob. I think Jim Swanson would have to have been nuts and naive not to have sought some financial return from what he had every reason to believe was a sensational discovery in the centenary year.

Paul

Comment

• Yes, possibly, but on the other hand the flyleaf, if written a great disatnce from the first annotations then this is the evidence that his memory was failing, in a self-serving way as memoirs often do. For he is telling a tale which would be famous within the dept. and once the flloodgates would have opened once Anderson published. Instead nobody backs him, except Swanson who does it in private perhaps a remove of decades.

On the other hand that still leaves the unlikely coincidence of two senior police figures not only having failing memories -- but about exactly the same subject?!

That is why I think it more likely that Swanson is repeating what Anderson told him, in one sitting. I understand the argument as to why this is not likely to be so, but for me the countervailing factor is the total lack of support for the tale from any other police figures. After all, it is not a story like Mac's which could be kept private because his just involved a few discreet meetings. His suspect was not even alive.

It involves the [alleged] police hospital, the transportation of the suspect, the fracas over the treacherous witness, the extensive and expensive surveillance of the same man, eg. Jack the Ripper, and the relief at his incarceration and death soon after. No other murders which police initially thought were by 'Jack' happened after this.

The last two elements of this tale are not even true.

The rest would be known, and it would leak, and if not it certainly would the moment Anderson in 1910 made it ok to talk and to write about.

Nothing?! Except denunciations -- and Macnaghten pointedly leaving out 'Kosminski' altogether from his own memoirs.

The limitation of the Swanson Marginalia is that it is not only private, it is furtive, and therefore it is not an opinion tested anywhere, against anybody else's contrary view. It does not have to be, being private. Swanson can write whatever he likes to himself.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                                Yes, possibly, but on the other hand the flyleaf, if written a great disatnce from the first annotations then this is the evidence that his memory was failing, in a self-serving way as memoirs often do. For he is telling a tale which would be famous within the dept. and once the flloodgates would have opened once Anderson published. Instead nobody backs him, except Swanson who does it in private perhaps a remove of decades.

There is no evidence that a 'great distance' separated the two sets of writings, only that a slight shakiness of the hand in some of the writings could be due to the sort of illnesses which afflict one in one's more mature years and might indicate that there had been a passage of time between them. Otherwise you've lost me. I don't understand why this is either evidence of (a) a failing memory, (b) it being self-serving of the type typical in memoirs - memoirs are distrusted because their authors can (not always or habitually) portray themselves in the best possible light, not because they blatantly lie about things which could easily be checked, or (c) how anything Swanson wrote in the annotations need be self-serving, given that the notes were written for himself.

Anyway, nobody really challenges Anderson either. Not even Major Smith, who, like 'Mentor', is outraged by Anderson's suggestion that the murderer was protected by his fellow Jews.

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                                On the other hand that still leaves the unlikely coincidence of two senior police figures not only having failing memories -- but about exactly the same subject?!
                                Indeed. A matched pair of geriatric wishful thinkers.

That is why I think it more likely that Swanson is repeating what Anderson told him, in one sitting. I understand the argument as to why this is not likely to be so, but for me the countervailing factor is the total lack of support for the tale from any other police figures. After all, it is not a story like Mac's which could be kept private because his just involved a few discreet meetings. His suspect was not even alive.
                                Arguably Swanson does support him. How many supporters would you like him to have? How many would there have to be before you acknowledged that they all weren't repeating what Anderson had told them? Why would this legion of coppers have come to his support when he wasn't under attack? Where would they have done it? And there's a whole army of politicians, journalists and policemen who could have said "what a load of old bull... Terrible what age can do to a fine mind." Not even Smith says that. He just attacks Anderson, justifiably, for seemingly accusing the Jews as a people of concealing the Ripper (which Anderson never actually said). You are, I think, basing a fairly far-reaching conclusion on a presumed lack of support for Anderson. That's my opinion.

It involves the [alleged] police hospital, the transportation of the suspect, the fracas over the treacherous witness, the extensive and expensive surveillance of the same man, eg. Jack the Ripper, and the relief at his incarceration and death soon after. No other murders which police initially thought were by 'Jack' happened after this.

The last two elements of this tale are not even true.

The rest would be known, and it would leak, and if not it certainly would the moment Anderson in 1910 made it ok to talk and to write about.

Nothing?! Except denunciations -- and Macnaghten pointedly leaving out 'Kosminski' altogether from his own memoirs.
                                Well, of course, it did leak. Anderson leaked it. But what floodgates do you imagine would have opened? Hardly anyone gave a toss. There were hardly any denunciations, hardly anyone damning Anderson. Various newspapers reported a generally garbled version of what Anderson had said, but where are all the journalists lining up to interview Anderson, to get more details? Where are the front page headlines? Where are all the policemen and politicians being asked for their opinions? There's next to nothing, yet you are making a very big thing out of there being no support, no breaching of the dam, no surging floodwaters of newsprint. The fact is, nobody was interested in damning Anderson or supporting him or doing anything at all.

The limitation of the Swanson Marginalia is that it is not only private, it is furtive, and therefore it is not an opinion tested anywhere, against anybody else's contrary view. It does not have to be, being private. Swanson can write whatever he likes to himself.
                                The marginalia is hardly 'furtive'. And whilst Swanson could indeed write whatever he liked, there was no reason for him to have lied to himself.

I take everything you say, Jonathan, but it attaches undue weight, I think, to a one-sided view of the silence that greeted Anderson's revelations.

being private is a limitation, but it is also a strength. Being private it was written for Swanson for personal use, and as suchto achieve any of the multitude of things

Comment

Working...
                                X