No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 27 - After checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital with a suspected uncer, Frank Biggs dies mysteriously. He is the sixth of nine noncritical admittees to suffer an unexplained death there in an eleven month period. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with murderering some of the patients with curare but was aquitted at his trial. He then moved back to his native Argentina and died there in 1984.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 August 29 - Sayyid Qutb is executed by hanging in Egypt. He had been accused of plotting to assassinate President Gamal Abdel Nasser and overthrow his government.

50 years ago - 1966 August 29 - Thirteen-year-old Marvin Gibbs dies while being treated in Georgia hospital. Marvin had been poisoned by his mother Janie Lou Gibbs but this will not be determined until after she also murders her husband, two other sons and a grandson. The serial killer was eventually convicted and sentenced to five consecutive life terms.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 1 - After checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital for routine gallbladder surgery, Mary Muentener, 80, dies mysteriously. She is the seventh of nine noncritical admittees to suffer an unexplained death there in an eleven month period. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with murderering some of the patients with curare but was aquitted at the conclusion of his trial, leaving the case unsolved. He then moved back to his native country of Argentina and died there in 1984.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 3 - Six-year-old Julia Beckwith of Milwaukee is raped, strangled and slain. She is the first young lady to be murdered by serial killer Michael Lee Herrington. In the subsequent year, Herrington was convicted of this and another murder and sent to prison for two consecutive life terms.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 6 - In Cape Town, South African Prime Minister Hendrik Verwoerd is stabbed to death as he enters the House of Assembly. The assassin, Dimitri Tsafendas was ordered held for life due to insanity and died still confined in 1999.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 September 7 - Nicholas Morello, the head of his namesake New York crime family, is gunned down in front of a Brooklyn restaurant along with his bodyguard Charles Ubriaco. The hit was on the orders of Pellegrino Morano, the head of his namesake and rival crime family. Morano and all but one of his involved subordinates were convicted and sent to prison for terms ranging from six years to life. The remaining man, Antonio Parretti fled the country but returned in 1926 thinking the coast was clear. He was howerver arrested, convicted and went to the electric chair in 1927.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 10 - After visiting a London club frquented by servicemen, Jeremiah Murphy, 44, is stabbed to death. No motive was ever determined for the unsolved murder of this homeless Irishman.

50 years ago - 1966 September 10 - In Mason City, Iowa, Norma Horgen vanishes just a few blocks from her residence. Later in the day, the 18-year-old cosmetology student's body will be found in Clear Lake. In 1992, a male student was charged with her murder but the case against him was eventually dismissed due to problems with the evidence. The case is still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 13 - Ursula Rohling, 20, is raped and strangled while visiting a German park. Police originally accused her borfriend of the crime and he committed suicide as a result. Further investigation, years later, will show that her actual slayer was serial killer Joachim Kroll who will continue murdering for ten more years after this assault. At that stage, the plumbing in Kroll's apartment building was found to be clogged with the remains of a small child and this led to his arrest. He was given a life term and died imprisoned in 1991.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 18 - In North Carolina, Parker Kiser dies of what was originally determined to be natural causes but it is now believed that he had been arsenic poisoned by his daughter Blanche Taylor Moore. She went on to kill several more in the same manner then was finally caught and sentenced to execution in 1991. Moore currently resides on death row.

50 years ago - 1966 September 18 - Valerie Percy, 21 and the daughter of U. S. Senatorial candidate Charles Percy, is beaten and stabbed to death in her bedroom of the family's Kenilworth, Illinois home. Her stepmother said she was awakened by a noise and saw a dark haired man flee from Valerie's room. Mr. Percy won the election but the murder was never solved.
                    Last edited by sdreid; 09-15-2016, 05:59 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 23 - After checking into New Jersey's Riverdell Hospital with gallbladder issues, Emma Arzt, 70, dies mysteriously. She is the eighth of nine noncritical admittees to suffer an unexplained death there in an eleven month period. Dr. Mario Jascalevich was charged with murderering some of the patients with curare but was aquitted at the conclusion of his trial, leaving the case unsolved. He then moved back to his native country of Argentina and died there in 1984.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 September 27 - Husband and wife, Jerry and Linda Bricca along with their daughter Debbie, 4, are found stabbed to death in their suburban Cincinnati home. No one survived and the murders are still unsolved.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 October 4 - Soldier Bela Kiss flees a WWI combat hospital in Serbia after he finds out that police are closing in. He exchanged papers with another soldier who was dying in an attempt to fake his own death but it didn't work. Authorities had recently discovered seven women pickled in oil drums while searching his house in Czinkota, (Austria-) Hungary. They also found sixteen more women and a man buried on the property. One of the women was his wife and the sole man was believed to be her lover. Although Kiss was reportedly sighted on three continents over the next two decades, the serial killer was never captured.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
                            100 years ago - 1916 October 4 - Soldier Bela Kiss flees a WWI combat hospital in Serbia after he finds out that police are closing in. He exchanged papers with another soldier who was dying in an attempt to fake his own death but it didn't work. Authorities had recently discovered seven women pickled in oil drums while searching his house in Czinkota, (Austria-) Hungary. They also found sixteen more women and a man buried on the property. One of the women was his wife and the sole man was believed to be her lover. Although Kiss was reportedly sighted on three continents over the next two decades, the serial killer was never captured.
                            Oil drums seem to have been a popular choice for hiding bodies, I guess it's about the size.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 October 5 - After being convicted of four murders, Richard Burgess is hanged in New Zealand. He actually boasted of committing nine murders.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 October 11 - Alice Hochhausler, 51, is beaten, raped and strangled in her residence. She is thought to be a victim of Posteal Laskey, aka the Cincinnati Strangler. The serial killer was convicted of a similar murder and sent to prison where he died in 2007.

Stan Reid

Comment

Working...
                                X