New play about Mary Kelly in London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New play about Mary Kelly in London

I thought you might be interested in a major new production of 'The Only Girl in the World' by award-winning British playwright Glyn Maxwell. It is a play about Mary Jane Kelly and Joe Barnett (who gave evidence at her inquest).

THE ONLY GIRL IN THE WORLD: A Play of Jack the Ripper
    by Glyn Maxwell

“Gripping...a sharp sense of drama and a keen ear for its language” The New York Times on Glyn Maxwell

Mary Jane Kelly is sexy, bright, and devil-may-care. Joseph Barnett is thrifty, steady, and a decent sort. Just another couple struggling to keep love alive in the poverty, crime and tabloid nightmares of modern Britain... Only this modern Britain is the East End in 1888: the poverty is desperate, the crime relentless, and the breaking news – of a man who slaughters prostitutes and calls himself 'Jack' – may be more than just a scare-story...

Based on the true story of the final victim of Jack the Ripper, this haunting and original play will linger in your memory. Directed by Alex Clifton (ENO, National Theatre) and starring Jennifer Kidd (Shakespeare's Globe, Cheek by Jowl) and John Wark (Royal Shakespeare Company).

Glyn Maxwell is one of the UK's most exciting playwrights and poets. His plays have been performed in New York and London (National Theatre, Battersea Arts Centre, and the forthcoming 'Liberty!' at Shakespeare's Globe).

"Glyn Maxwell is the best dramatic poet now at work in English” The Daily Telegraph

Monday 28 April to Saturday 24 May 2008
    Evenings at 8.15pm
    Arcola Theatre, London

Tickets £10 / £15
    BOOK NOW: http://www.arcolatheatre.com/?action...mplate&sid=247
    Attached Files

This sounds intresting, I would love to have travelled down to London for it, but health reasons stop me from doing so.

Good luck though, it sounds really intresting.

Regards Mike

Comment

Hi Mike

Thanks for your kind message. Sorry you can't make it to see the play. We are currently trying to market it, so if you have any ideas for ways we can make people aware of the play - particularly people with an interest in Jack the Ripper - please do let me know!

Many thanks
      Chantelle

Comment

Hi there, and welcome.

I've sent you a private message with some ideas.

Kelly

Comment

Working...
        X