• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    Hey Michael,

No, I meant suspect and convict.

Monty
    Then you have me somewhat confused, "suspect" is applied to either a person or the notion that they should be "suspect-ed", ...Kosminski vs a Polish Jew in general, and convict is either a noun, a verb, or an adjective. A Convict, to convict, convicted felon.

I would think it is clear by notes and memos, many officials did feel it was likely a Polish Jew....or they suspected as much.

And in the context of the discussion, aren't we addressing whether officials recorded anywhere that they suspected a Jew was the killer, not that they didn't have enough evidence to convict any one Jew?

Im not saying they were showing any prejudice with those unofficial remarks, but I do suggest that to imply a Jew would not identify a mad killer if he was also Jewish, is. That speaks negatively to local Jewish respect for the law, the condoning of horrible actions, and implies that their hatred of the Police, for things like Bloody Sunday, or their shared faith with a killer would override their interest in having that killer brought to justice.

There had been a massive influx of Jewish people to the East End of London for decades, and some attitudes towards these "immigrants" were similar to the ones encountered by Irish immigrants as they landed in America. Meaning...the core of the prejudice was not based on their faith, but the fact that they immigrated to where they were, as a result, took some local resources from "natives", and became a big part of East Londons poverty problems.

I think in the case of the Whitechapel Murderer, the consensus was that no civilized person could have done these acts, and therefore the immigrants and the transients must have been the source.

My best regards Monty.

Comment

Michael,

So basically, what you are stating is that its obvious the Police thought the murderer to be a Jew, a Polish Jew infact. Whereas, and you have mentioned this yourself, other nationalities and religions from all walks of life were questioned by them.

If the Police were so certain in the opinion then wouldnt they have targetted Polish Jews? The fact remians that though some Police Officials, and by no ways all, felt Jack was a Jew, there is no hard factual evidence supporting this theory. Nothing at all except mere suggestion and loose connection. Therefore the Official line was an honest and open minded approach. What you read is personal opinion, and this is not to be taken as evidence without good reason.

The context of the discussion is if the murderer was an anti semite or not. It isnt addressing the question of was the killer was a Jew?

As no one was convicted for the crime there is no convict. Therefore there is no way of knowing for certain the race and religion of the murderer. There is mere suspicion, which is another noun and is not fact..

...and finally, the simple fact is that there is more to think about than just the murders and killer. The impact on the community, a community which was mixed and volatile (if the Squibby affair is anything to go by), had to be dealt with also. It would seem Warren was considering such impacts.

Cheers
      Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty,

I now understand your position, thanks for expanding on your thoughts.

I mentioned that only in relation to the thread, as it is clear in the records, non-public ones at the time, that the Police, and not just one or two, felt the killer had been caught, and a Jewish witness refused to identify him because they shared a faith. I would never suggest that was some broadly accepted supposition throughout the force, or their official position on the matter, just that it is clear some involved felt the killer was Jewish....and I would think as a result, probably not anti-semetic.

I suppose that a Jewish Ripper would likely have come from the immigrant pool I mentioned, a more recently immigrated non-orthodox Jew. So its interesting that the message on the dado is in a street where recently immigrated Jews occasionally convened, and started Marches from there.

My best regards Monty.

Comment

Working...
        X