Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Varqm 1 hour and 6 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Robert St Devil 1 hour and 13 minutes ago.
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - by Paddy 1 hour and 14 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by Abby Normal 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - by rjpalmer 2 hours ago.
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Michael W Richards 4 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (14 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kosminski/Kaminsky - please debunk - (9 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (7 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob Levy - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Kosminski, Aaron

Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 PM
Sergeant

It seems to me that when Jacob Cohen took Aaron Kozminski to the Infirmary and declared he thought him to be insane because he attacked his sister, he was talking about his own sister Betsy who was married to Aarons brother Woolf.
Had it been the sister Matilda who was attacked surely Morris would have been involved, in case information was needed.

I think its possible that as Aaron started to get ill he was evicted from living with Woolf and Betsy. Betsy seems to have just got pregnant for the child that she lost in February 1889. I am not sure how many months pregnant she was though, if anybody can help?

Is it possible there is a connection with his mutilations and Betsys prgnancy.
If he blamed her for being thrown out? Oh and also that he was not well mentally?

Pat.....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:08 AM
Detective

Hi Pat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
It seems to me that when Jacob Cohen took Aaron Kozminski to the Infirmary and declared he thought him to be insane because he attacked his sister, he was talking about his own sister Betsy who was married to Aarons brother Woolf.
Had it been the sister Matilda who was attacked surely Morris would have been involved, in case information was needed.

I think its possible that as Aaron started to get ill he was evicted from living with Woolf and Betsy. Betsy seems to have just got pregnant for the child that she lost in February 1889. I am not sure how many months pregnant she was though, if anybody can help?

Is it possible there is a connection with his mutilations and Betsys prgnancy.
If he blamed her for being thrown out? Oh and also that he was not well mentally?

Pat.....
Interesting considerations.

Greetings, Karsten.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:52 AM
Inspector

Yes, it was the brother's brother-in-law that got him first thrown out of the house and then confined in the asylum.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Constable

Jacob Cohen was Betsy's brother? And he had Aaron thrown out of the house? I must be really out to lunch, because both of those facts are news to me.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:39 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Malcolm View Post
Jacob Cohen was Betsy's brother? And he had Aaron thrown out of the house? I must be really out to lunch, because both of those facts are news to me.
John,
I think you will find the first is a relatively new suggestion, not entirely without support, it depends on ones reading of the account, however it is not established as far as i am aware, that she was the woman married to wolf or that cohen was his brother in law. it does however offer interesting options.

The second i fear is an unsupported extension of the first idea.
if Scott has actual evidence to support it, then i of course appologise, i just have not seen any myself.

steve
Old 12-04-2017, 09:17 AM
Detective

A few years ago there was an article by Patricia Marshall and Chris Phillips in Ripperologist: "Who was Jacob Cohen?". If I remember correctly, the parents of Woolf Abraham´s wife Betsy Abrahams were Kasriel Szlama Kozminski and Ryfka, nee Lachman. They had a son, Jacob Kozminski, later Jacob Cohen, butcher in Manchester. Probably the same Jacob Cohen of the company (Jacob) Cohen/(Thomas Coughtrey) Davies/ (Woolf) Abrahams (Aaron Kozminski´s brother). The dog incident/ Aaron Kozminski in December 1889 in Cheapside (not far from the address of this London-company in 51 Carter Lane): Aaron Kozminski said that "the dog belongs to Jacobs", maybe he wanted to say the dog belongs to Jacob Cohen. The name of the whole article was "New light on Aaron Kozminski", better I read it again.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:21 PM
Sergeant

Thanks Karsten

I composed Ripperologist 128 article with Chris Phillips.
Chris had a great deal of knowledge of the Abrahams family and I hope he does not mind my saying that he was pretty sure too when we wrote the paper.

Jacob Cohen (son of Kasriel) was the brother of Brucha/Betsy Kozminski. It is also highly likely he is the Jacob who committed his cousin Aaron.

When he said "Aaron attacked his sister" as it was written third hand it could have meant Aarons sister or Jacobs sister. I do think it is likely that it was Jacobs sister (Woolfs wife) who was attacked, hence her brothers involvement.
As I said, if it was Matilda (Aarons other sister) I would have thought that her husband Morris would have been involved ?

Wolek Lajb Kozminski ( son of Abram Josif and Golda) married Brucha Kozminski in Klodawa in 1881 And Bruchas father was Kasriel Szlama and mother Ryfka. from Poland, Jewish Records Indexing-Poland, Marriages, 1798-1939

Woolf and Betsy and children moved to Bury New Road, Cheetham, Manchester by 1901 census Cheetham was where Jacob had lived for many years before he went to South Africa. .

Pat......
Old 12-04-2017, 06:06 PM
Sergeant

Woolf took his daughter rebecca out of Berner street school on 11.Oct.1888 address 25 Providence street.

She was out of school for 7 months and then when she went to her next school her address was now 34 Yalford street and her date of birth was altered to allow for these 7 months out of school. It was later changed back and a comment made about 6 months other school ?

Woolf and Betsy were in Yalford street in March 1889 when she lost her baby.

These are the records of Rebecca from Ancestry school admissions attached

Pat.....
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Hi Pat,
While the evidence of the connection between Cohen and Kosminski appears strong, I am not 100% convinced, maybe 90%.
it seems something occurred to the family in early October 88, thus the withdrawal from school

Steve
Old 12-05-2017, 07:14 AM
Detective

Hi Pat!

I wonder whether Jacob Cohen, a butcher from Manchester, could have had some connections with the Butchers Row, Aldagte High Street/ London.

Inspector Robert Sagar:

"We had good reason to suspect a certain man who worked in 'Butcher's-row,' Aldgate," he said, "and we watched him carefully. There was no doubt that this man was insane, and after a time his friends thought it advisable to have him removed to a private asylum. After he was removed there were no more Ripper atrocities."

It is indeed odd that the butcher Jacob Cohen took Aaron Kozminski to the infirmary and Sagar stated: "after a time his friends thought it advisable to have him removed to a private asylum".

This could mean that Aaron Kozminski was the "Kosminski" of Anderson, Swanson and Macnaghten. And, of course, it might be possible that Sagar watched this "Kosminski"/ Aaron Kozminski in Butchers Row. We do know that the City Police were involved in the "Kosminski- case"- see Swanson. And Sagar was a City Police officer.

One of "his friends" could have been the butcher Jacob Cohen from Manchester, and another "friend", one of the butchers in Butchers Row.

Of course, Jacob Cohen stated that Aaron Kozminski "did not work for years", and Sagar said "removed to a private asylum", not Colney Hatch.

It might be possible that the hairdresser Aaron Kozminski worked in Butchers Row at the time of the murders and that Jacob Cohen was already involved in a previous admission to a private asylum (Macnaghtens "about March 1889"/"Kosminski"?). Two years have passed between March 1889 and February 1891. Enough time for "did not work for years".

Strangely, Woolf took his daughter rebecca out of Berner street school after the Double Event (and after some bloody clothes were found in Batty Street). Woolf´s address Providence Street, just a few steps from the site of the Stride murder. In 1881/82 Woolf lived next to the Dutfields Yard. Is it just a coincidence...?

Karsten.