Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents Accused of Holding 13 Kids Captive Are Charged With Torture

c.d.

It's amazing to me that these people have apparently decided to plead not guilty. You would think that they would have entered a guilty plea and cut the best deal that they could. The police who entered the home will testify to the conditions under which they found the kids and of course the kids themselves will testify. And I am sure that the prosecution will have doctors saying what a child at a certain age should weigh.

c.d.

Comment

What lovely patents.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

I can't imagine what sort of defense they intend to put forth unless it is something along the lines of we have the right as parents to discipline our children as we see fit.

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
          I can't imagine what sort of defense they intend to put forth unless it is something along the lines of we have the right as parents to discipline our children as we see fit.

c.d.
          Or trying to cut a plea deal.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

The guy should get life just for his hairstyle!!

Terrible case though. What possible defence can they put up? Did they believe that those kids were possessed by demons or something crazy like that?
            It will be interesting to see how this pans out. They should never see those kids again.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

One thing I read about this case was "parents believed God wanted them to keep having children," which is just cultish, if you ask me. Maybe the defense will be insanity, but I sincerely hope not. They need to be punished for what they did to those poor kids.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post

c.d.
                Don't be surprised to see the religious card rear it's head.. as in extremist Christian religion of sorts. I fear this may well happen. Hope I'm wrong.
                Poor children.
                Remind you of a certain Joseph Fritzel at all?

Phil
                Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
                Accountability? ....

Comment

The parents were, according to reports, obsessed with Disney and they repeatedly took the children to the Disney theme parks. This obsession doesn't seem to sit well with their claim to be devoutly religious.

The photos of them all dressed in the same outfits are hauntingly weird and even the father's hairstyle, although the source of some amusement, just seems to add to the creepiness of the whole thing.

This is a horrifying case and I hope the children get the care they need - but I feel the parents are probably as damaged as the children.

Comment

and even the father's hairstyle, although the source of some amusement, just seems to add to the creepiness of the whole thing.

It's certainly put me off re-watching the Morecambe and Wise Andre Previn sketch.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      and even the father's hairstyle, although the source of some amusement, just seems to add to the creepiness of the whole thing.

It's certainly put me off re-watching the Morecambe and Wise Andre Previn sketch.

Comment

Watched a 20/20 News special on this case last night, and the history is weird. Originally both were from West Virginia, had fairly strict upbringings, and belonged to the Church of God. They married due to family pressure after they had eloped when the woman was only sixteen. They left West Virginia after some unspecified argument with their families. (The only relative to stay in touch was a sister, who at times would visit the couple.)

They lived in two other states before ending up in California. Pattern seemed to be to settle into a house, have kids, spend extravagantly, eventually pack up and move, leaving their former house very dirty on the inside.

The sister said they left the Church of God and researched other religions, from "voodoo" to Mormonism, and that she wasn't allowed to talk to the children without one of the parents present. Eventually they stopped inviting her to visit or stay with them.

Besides Disney, they went to Las Vegas often, and renewed their marriage vows three different times. Usually the ceremony was conducted by an Elvis impersonator. Their two small dogs were found well-fed, while the children were all underweight.

Bizarre, bizarre story.
                        Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                        ---------------
                        Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                        ---------------

Comment

Working...
                        X