Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Woman Butcher

Hi All,

While looking at the business s in and around Whitechapel I found an entry for Sarah Hyam which may be of interest:

Sarah Hyam, butcher 24A White's row Spitalfields 1884.

I don't know much about her or where she was living in 1888, if anyone can find out some info that would be great.

Was it common for women to be butchers in the 1800s, I would have thought not.

I wouldnt have thought so. A Sarah Levy was listed as a butcher in the 1891 census when her husband Jacob went into an asylum, so maybe women just carried on as head of the business when their husbands died or were incapacitated? Probably they employed someone to do the actual butchering.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      I wouldnt have thought so. A Sarah Levy was listed as a butcher in the 1891 census when her husband Jacob went into an asylum, so maybe women just carried on as head of the business when their husbands died or were incapacitated? Probably they employed someone to do the actual butchering.

I think that's partly right Rosella, many women did carry on their husband's businesses when left a widow.

But many women also did the physical work. Not really much different than a cat's meat woman in some regards as far as the physical sde goes,

had an Aunty in the 30s-40s who ran a butchery after her husband went blind. There just wasn't a lot of choice it was a smallish business and really could support anyone else after it supported the family. She slaughtered and butchered the meat they sold.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Thanks Guys.

I am a bit curious though about the address: Whites Row, Spitalfields it was really close to Miller's court, possibility that there is some connection?

I would really love to know weather this butchers was in operation in 1888.

Comment

I draw your attention to the Gutgirls. Women who worked in abbatoirs gutting animals which came live off the ships at the docks. They were usually much better paid than other menial jobs and quite independent and er forgive the pun, gutsy. Sarah Daniels wrote a brilliant play a few years age based on their lives. They were East end girls. I directed the play when I was teaching at a college. They favoured big hats and were tough and mouthy.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
          X