Conflicting Dates (Recovered)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conflicting Dates (Recovered)

This is G o o g l e's cache of http://forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-4681.html as retrieved on 10 Jan 2008 12:52:56 GMT.
    G o o g l e's cache is the snapshot that we took of the page as we crawled the web.
    The page may have changed since that time. Click here for the current page without highlighting.
    This cached page may reference images which are no longer available. Click here for the cached text only.
    To link to or bookmark this page, use the following url: http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=4

Google is neither affiliated with the authors of this page nor responsible for its content.
    These search terms have been highlighted: casebook deeming conflicting dates

Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Deeming, Frederick Bailey > Conflicting dates

PDA
    View Full Version : Conflicting dates

chris
    19th August 2007, 01:05 PM
    I am doing some background work on Frederick Deeming and have hit some conflicting dates.
    The Suspects section of Casebook states that Deeming was born in 1842 and his mother died in 1873.
    However, according to the Dissertation on Deeming at

he was born in 1853 and his mother died in 1875.
    Any info on this gratefully received before I start digging!

pearlyanna
    19th August 2007, 05:52 PM
    Chris

On the birth certificate of his daughter Bertha 14May 1884 his age is 30, on the one for his daughter Marie 13 April 1886 his age is 33 and on the passenger list in Dec 1891 for the Kaiser Wilheim II his age is 40, so Id say 1853 is right.
    I think hes the son of Thomas Deeming and Ann Bailey, married Jun Q 1846 Atherstone and hes Frederick Deeming born Ashby de la Zouch Leicestershire, several siblings, one called Albert and one called William, also there is a Marie Deeming visitor staying with Albert Deeming and his wife Martha on the 1881 census, no sing of Frederick though, he married Marie the month before, Mar Q 1881 Birkenhead.
    Dont know when his mother died.
    Frederick and his family are all on the 1861 cnsus, cant give all the details as I dont have access

If your looking into Deeming take a look at the "Bigamy Theft and Murder" site they have a number of documents and statements from witnesses etc online.
    Good Luck
    Anna

jdpegg
    19th August 2007, 06:25 PM
    Hey Chris,

weren't the Deeming family and Deeming originally from Ashby in Leics,??? in which case, im happy to look next time im at Leics record office, if you want

give us a mail if you do

Jenni

Sam Flynn
    19th August 2007, 08:03 PM
    Frederick and his family are all on the 1861 cnsus, cant give all the details as I dont have access
    That census seems to confirm 1853 as well, Anna.

1861 Census Return for Queen's Place, Bebington, Cheshire
    Thomas Deeming (Head), 37, b. Warwickshire, Atherstone. Whitesmith
    Ann (Wife), 35, b. Atherstone
    Edward (Son), 15, b. Atherstone. Whitesmith
    Thomas (Son), 13, b. Atherstone. Whitesmith
    William (Son), 9, b. Leicestershire, Ashby. Scholar
    Frederick (Son), 8, b. Ashby. Scholar
    Albert (Son), 5, b. Lancashire, St Helens. Scholar
    Walter (Son), 3, b. Kent, Eltham. Scholar
    Elizabeth (Daur), 1, b. Cheshire, Tranmere
    Jane Vardon[?] (Lodger, Widow), 75, b. Berkshire, Windsor.

Note that Bebington is now part of the Wirral, Merseyside.

cgp100
    19th August 2007, 08:23 PM
    That census seems to confirm 1853 as well, Anna.

1861 Census Return for Queen's Place, Bebington, Cheshire
    Thomas Deeming (Head), 37, b. Warwickshire, Atherstone. Whitesmith
    Ann (Wife), 35, b. Atherstone
    Edward (Son), 15, b. Atherstone. Whitesmith
    Thomas (Son), 13, b. Atherstone. Whitesmith
    William (Son), 9, b. Leicestershire, Ashby. Scholar
    Frederick (Son), 8, b. Ashby. Scholar
    Albert (Son), 5, b. Lancashire, St Helens. Scholar
    Walter (Son), 3, b. Kent, Eltham. Scholar
    Elizabeth (Daur), 1, b. Cheshire, Tranmere
    Jane Vardon[?] (Lodger, Widow), 75, b. Berkshire, Windsor.

Note that Bebington is now part of the Wirral, Merseyside.

The FreeBMD index, at www.freebmd.org.uk (http://www.freebmd.org.uk), shows the birth of a Frederick Deeming registered at Ashby in the third quarter of 1853.

Chris Phillips

robert
    19th August 2007, 08:56 PM
    From an article May 20th 1892

coral
    20th August 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hi Chris

Thomas Deeming's mother, Ann, died in the last quarter of 1877.

Coral

chris
    20th August 2007, 11:05 AM
    Hi Guys
    many thanks for the very helpful feeback. It has been of great use.
    Regards
    Chris

mcebe
    11th September 2007, 01:58 PM
    Good luck with researching this rather interesting chap, I began researching Mr Deeming for my up and coming book, Jack the Ripper From Hell, From Hull. The book looks at all the suspects who have at one time or another had links with the city of Hull(6 fellows in total). Mr Deeming actually visited the Royal Station Hotel (a popular spot for Ripper suspects throughtout the 1800's), no records of his stay however exist due to a large fire some years ago.
    I next looked at his short stay at Hull's HMP and sent a letter to the current Govenor, again I was informed no info is still in exsistance, as many of the files were destroyed after 7 years! Still there are a number of local history books available that chart his visit to the City.
    Good Luck, the truth is out there (or possibly cemented over in a shallow grave in Rainhill!!
    Rdgs
    Mike
    (From Hell, From Hull)

mayerling
    3rd October 2007, 06:27 PM
    Hi Rob,

Actually I'm glad you printed out that newspaper clipping (apparently from some Victoria or Melbourne paper) which gave the biographical information about Deeming's father's mental problems. I have seen an almost word for word regurgitation of it in the site of Boase's Modern English Biography reserved for Deeming.

What was the newspaper?

Jeff

robert
    3rd October 2007, 10:48 PM
    Hi Jeff

That was the London Times.

Robert

vBulletin v3.6.0, Copyright ©2000-2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Working...
X