Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 5 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 6 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 8 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 11 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 16 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Elamarna 22 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (73 posts)
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (16 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (4 posts)
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 07-17-2017, 07:57 AM
Sergeant

Default questions, questions...

The apron opens up the possibility that his bolthole (or man-cave) was in the vicinity of Goulston Street if you put any stock in Jack the Ripper returning to his bolthole after murdering Elizabeth Stride.

Where was he going after murdering Elizabeth Stride? No certainties but could "bolthole" be among the tops answers. Catherine Eddowes' murder is generally understood as occurring as an afterthought; something that happened because he was unable to get what he wanted from Elizabeth. Did he meet Kate on his way back to his bolthole?

With blood on his hands and being in possession of a kidney, uterus, bloody apron, bloody knife and the alarm of the police on the streets of the East End... what's the probability that his bolthole was actually back in the vicinity of Buck's Row or Berner Street? Meaning, what was the purpose of trekking to Mitre Square if his bolthole was on the other side of Whitechapel in an area he had just come from [45 minutes/an hour] earlier?

He could have continued westward from Mitre Square after murdering Catherine Eddowes, thru City of London. I'm sure there were plenty of doorways in that direction where he could leave her apron. But, the aspect of the apron has him doubling-back and/or stagnating in the vicinity of Mitre Square and Goulston Street, lending to the idea that he had reached the neighborhood of his bolthole.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:26 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert St Devil View Post
The apron opens up the possibility that his bolthole (or man-cave) was in the vicinity of Goulston Street if you put any stock in Jack the Ripper returning to his bolthole after murdering Elizabeth Stride.

Where was he going after murdering Elizabeth Stride? No certainties but could "bolthole" be among the tops answers. Catherine Eddowes' murder is generally understood as occurring as an afterthought; something that happened because he was unable to get what he wanted from Elizabeth. Did he meet Kate on his way back to his bolthole?

With blood on his hands and being in possession of a kidney, uterus, bloody apron, bloody knife and the alarm of the police on the streets of the East End... what's the probability that his bolthole was actually back in the vicinity of Buck's Row or Berner Street? Meaning, what was the purpose of trekking to Mitre Square if his bolthole was on the other side of Whitechapel in an area he had just come from [45 minutes/an hour] earlier?

He could have continued westward from Mitre Square after murdering Catherine Eddowes, thru City of London. I'm sure there were plenty of doorways in that direction where he could leave her apron. But, the aspect of the apron has him doubling-back and/or stagnating in the vicinity of Mitre Square and Goulston Street, lending to the idea that he had reached the neighborhood of his bolthole.
Hi Robert.

Are you familiar with this story by Robert Spicer?
http://www.casebook.org/press_report...ss/310316.html

The only point worthy of note that I observe is that he claimed to arrest a suspect on the night of the double murder, over in Heneage-street, by Brick Lane. People were being stopped, arrested, and let go on what we today might consider the flimsiest of reasons.
It would be consistent with a killer moving eastward from Mitre Sq., through Goulston Street, and on towards Brick Lane.

We don't know if he intended there to be a third victim that night.

I just mention it as a point of trivia.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Commisioner

I would posit that the killers bolt hole would be no more than an approx. half hour distance from miter square/goulston street-the time of about an hour from when eddowes was murdered and the GSG was discovered. the time it would take for the killer to go to his bolt hole, clean up, drop off and return to write the GSG.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:26 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
I would posit that the killers bolt hole would be no more than an approx. half hour distance from miter square/goulston street-the time of about an hour from when eddowes was murdered and the GSG was discovered. the time it would take for the killer to go to his bolt hole, clean up, drop off and return to write the GSG.
So instead of walking directly from Berners to Doveton, he took the long route via Mitre Square, Abby? (sorry, bad joke)
Old 07-17-2017, 09:31 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman View Post
Hi Robert.

Are you familiar with this story by Robert Spicer?
http://www.casebook.org/press_report...ss/310316.html

The only point worthy of note that I observe is that he claimed to arrest a suspect on the night of the double murder, over in Heneage-street, by Brick Lane. People were being stopped, arrested, and let go on what we today might consider the flimsiest of reasons.
It would be consistent with a killer moving eastward from Mitre Sq., through Goulston Street, and on towards Brick Lane.

We don't know if he intended there to be a third victim that night.

I just mention it as a point of trivia.
i've wondered wickerman how the police cleared a witness, and this article doesn't give me much faith in the process.

"Are you Jack the Ripper?"
"No, I'm a doctor."
"Free to go."

I have the maps so I'll find Brick Lane. Did the police need a warrant to search a suspect's bag?
Old 07-17-2017, 10:06 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
i've wondered wickerman how the police cleared a witness, and this article doesn't give me much faith in the process.

"Are you Jack the Ripper?"
"No, I'm a doctor."
"Free to go."
Well, we only have the press version, and as the press often criticized the police then what they give us may not be the whole process.
However, for a suspect to provide his name, address & in some cases place of business, on these points being checked out the suspect was "set at liberty", to use the common phrase.

Quote:
I have the maps so I'll find Brick Lane. Did the police need a warrant to search a suspect's bag?
Apparently not.
"The officers, after much difficulty, got the prisoner to the station, being followed by an excited mob. At the station the bag carried by the prisoner was searched, and in it were found two pairs of scissors, a dagger and sheath, and a life preserver."
http://www.casebook.org/press_report...l?printer=true
Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
So instead of walking directly from Berners to Doveton, he took the long route via Mitre Square, Abby? (sorry, bad joke)
I don't get it even for a bad joke.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 07-17-2017, 03:11 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
I don't get it even for a bad joke.
Lechmere lived on Doveton Street.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Lechmere lived on Doveton Street.
I was talking about after the murder of eddowes in mitre square and I wasn't talking about Lechmere.

to reiterate, there was about an hour or so between her murder and when the apron was discovered in goulston street, but it only takes a few minutes to walk from mitre square to goulston street. so I was suggesting that the killer, whoever he was, had a bolt hole no more than about a half hour away-about the time it would take to walk from Miter square (drop off the incriminating evidence, maybe clean up, grab some chalk) and then back to Goulston street to leave the apron and write the GSG, in time for the PC to definitely find it this time around.

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 07-18-2017, 01:06 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
I was talking about after the murder of eddowes in mitre square and I wasn't talking about Lechmere.

to reiterate, there was about an hour or so between her murder and when the apron was discovered in goulston street, but it only takes a few minutes to walk from mitre square to goulston street. so I was suggesting that the killer, whoever he was, had a bolt hole no more than about a half hour away-about the time it would take to walk from Miter square (drop off the incriminating evidence, maybe clean up, grab some chalk) and then back to Goulston street to leave the apron and write the GSG, in time for the PC to definitely find it this time around.
Hi Abby,

Why would it have been important to the killer to write a message on a wall do you think?

Pierre