Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Non-Fiction: Ripper Confidential by Tom Wescott (2017) - by David Orsam 10 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - by Herlock Sholmes 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Herlock Sholmes 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - by Harry D 8 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Dorset Street Photo - by GUT 8 hours ago.
Scene of the Crimes: Dorset Street Photo - by richardh 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Scene of the Crimes: Blood oozing - (42 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (16 posts)
Letters and Communications: An experiment - (9 posts)
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - (8 posts)
General Police Discussion: Missing Special Branch Record - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 08-05-2016, 07:58 AM
Detective

Default Who Chose the Murder Sites?

Folks,
I’ve had a quick trawl through the “Scene of the Crimes” thread and can’t see anything re the topic I am about to raise, so apologies if I am going over a topic previously raised.

My query is, who chose the murder sites?

Was it the victims choice of location for sex, or could the location have been selected by the killer?

We know from the evidence of John Richardson that 29 Hanbury Street had been used in the past by prostitutes entertaining clients, but what about the other murder sites?

Mary Ann Nichols was killed in Bucks row, on the pavement, hardly a suitable place for her to have an assignation with a client.

Elizabeth Stride was murdered just inside the entrance of the International Working Men’s Club in Berner Street. The wonderful 1900 photograph of Dutfield’s Yard in Philip Hutchinsons book “The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs” makes it clear that the site of the murder site was entirely unsatisfactory as a location for a Prostitute to entertain a client.

Even if the intention was to wander further into the yard, it seems an illogical place to choose, bearing in mind that the Working Men’s Club was fairly busy with 20-30 members engaged in talking and singing that night.
Mitre Square on the other hand was an ideal spot for an assignation.
Dark, secluded, and very little chance of being spotted by anyone passing by.

Millers Court on the other hand is a bit of a puzzle.
I am not aware of any evidence that Mary Jane Kelly ever took any clients back to Millers Court.

If she had been caught doing so, there was a very real risk that John McCarthy would have evicted her, unless of course he knew exactly what Mary was up to and was benefiting in some way from her activities.

Bearing in mind that there is no evidence that the killer engaged in any sexual activity with any of the victims, is it possible that the murder sites were chosen not by the victims, but by the killer?

Is it possible that he chose the locations for their suitability as a killing ground?

The killings of Mary Ann Nichols and Elizabeth Stride seem to me to be “blitz” attacks.

The killer simply couldn’t wait any longer, and decided to attack them there and then, and to hell with the very real risks he was running.

The other murder sites were suitable for sexual assignations, and also suitable for murder and mutilation, so there is no reason why those particular locations would set alarm bells ringing for the victims.
I have no particular axe to grind with this post, I am just curious as to what other people think of the points raised.

If the locations, or some of them, were chosen by the killer, does that tell us anything that may lead to other speculations?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:42 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
I am not aware of any evidence that Mary Jane Kelly ever took any clients back to Millers Court.

If she had been caught doing so, there was a very real risk that John McCarthy would have evicted her, unless of course he knew exactly what Mary was up to and was benefiting in some way from her activities.
How about this excerpt from Daily Telegraph 10th Nov?

"Elizabeth Prater, the occupant of the first floor front room, was one of those who saw the body through the window. She affirms that she spoke to the deceased on Thursday. She knew that Kelly had been living with a man, and that they had quarrelled about ten days since. It was a common thing for the women living in these tenements to bring men home with them. They could do so as they pleased. She had heard nothing during the night, and was out betimes in the morning, and her attention was not attracted to any circumstances of an unusual character. Kelly was, she admitted, one of her own class, and she made no secret of her way of gaining a livelihood."
Old 08-05-2016, 08:48 AM
Detective

Just thinking...if the women chose the spot, I wonder how many 'near misses' there were because the woman that Jack selected didn't take him to a location he was comfortable with?

It's possible that there were none, of course, but I do wonder about all of the women who interacted with him daily who didn't have a clue who he was.

On balance, I think it's more likely that they did chose the location...I think one of the key points is that he did not draw attention or make these women suspicious. I think that if they were approached and the client tried to move them off somewhere of his own choosing it would have raised alarm bells. Unless, of course, they knew him - then it would be an entirely different story.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:19 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Folks,
I’ve had a quick trawl through the “Scene of the Crimes” thread and can’t see anything re the topic I am about to raise, so apologies if I am going over a topic previously raised.

Was it the victims choice of location for sex, or could the location have been selected by the killer?

We know from the evidence of John Richardson that 29 Hanbury Street had been used in the past by prostitutes entertaining clients, but what about the other murder sites?

Mary Ann Nichols was killed in Bucks row, on the pavement, hardly a suitable place for her to have an assignation with a client.

Elizabeth Stride was murdered just inside the entrance of the International Working Men’s Club in Berner Street. The wonderful 1900 photograph of Dutfield’s Yard in Philip Hutchinsons book “The Jack the Ripper Location Photographs” makes it clear that the site of the murder site was entirely unsatisfactory as a location for a Prostitute to entertain a client.

Even if the intention was to wander further into the yard, it seems an illogical place to choose, bearing in mind that the Working Men’s Club was fairly busy with 20-30 members engaged in talking and singing that night.

Bearing in mind that there is no evidence that the killer engaged in any sexual activity with any of the victims, is it possible that the murder sites were chosen not by the victims, but by the killer?

Is it possible that he chose the locations for their suitability as a killing ground?

The killings of Mary Ann Nichols and Elizabeth Stride seem to me to be “blitz” attacks.

The killer simply couldn’t wait any longer, and decided to attack them there and then, and to hell with the very real risks he was running.

The other murder sites were suitable for sexual assignations, and also suitable for murder and mutilation, so there is no reason why those particular locations would set alarm bells ringing for the victims.
I have no particular axe to grind with this post, I am just curious as to what other people think of the points raised.

If the locations, or some of them, were chosen by the killer, does that tell us anything that may lead to other speculations?
Hi,

My hypothesis is that the killer selected the sites and that the most important factor in the selection model was the police beats.

Pierre
Old 08-05-2016, 02:03 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hi,

My hypothesis is that the killer selected the sites and that the most important factor in the selection model was the police beats.

Pierre
Stride,Chapman and Kelly were not found on a police beat.

Nichols and Eddowes were.

Last edited by DJA : 08-05-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Stride,Chapman and Kelly were not found on a police beat.

Nichols and Eddowes were.
Stride?

Pc 452H William Smith passed through Berner Street in the course of his beat.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:21 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Folks,

The killer chose the murder site, the victim may well have chosen a site to transact some business, but only Jack decided if it was a suitable place to murder.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
Stride?

Pc 452H William Smith passed through Berner Street in the course of his beat.
He did not stick his head in the Club's yard as part of his beat.

Ditto the other two.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:56 PM
Inspector

He walked past the yard, so I'm sure he would have had a nose if he'd seen anything suspicious....especially if the club was suspected of being the haunt of anarchists.

It seems likely that Miller's Court was part of a police beat. Maurice Lewis decided to leave the court and go to the pub rather than continue his (illegal) game of pitch and toss, when a policeman was spotted in Dorset Street.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM
Commisioner

Macdonald, at the Kelly inquest, asked Cox if the footsteps she heard in the court could have been a policeman, she replied that it could.
She could have replied, "not likely, as coppers do not come down the court", if that had been the case.

There is some understanding that a policeman's beat does not cover private property, unless specifically requested.
Was Millers Court regarded as private property?

I'm inclined to believe it was not, based on the fact the sign over the passage (Millers court) was a municipal street sign implying the court was part of the municipality and not private property.
The municipality does not (I believe) create signs to indicate private property, that is the owners expense.

The above likelyhood and Cox's reply taken together suggest to me the court was not private and therefore patrolled by police, however regularly is another question entirely.