Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by cobalt 8 hours ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Fisherman 8 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by RockySullivan 8 hours ago.
Conferences and Meetings: American Jack the Ripper - True Crime Conference, Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018 - by ChrisGeorge 11 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (13 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (12 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - (6 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (2 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Mention of JtR in recent episode of "The Flash" - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Doctors and Coroners

Old 03-03-2015, 04:56 AM
Casebook Supporter

Peter Cook satirised Mr Justice Cantley's summing up in the trial of Liberal Party leader Jeremy Thorpe :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi-agPf95M
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
G'day Jeff

A Judge making comments that made no sense, ..... mmmmmm sounds like a normal day in Court to me.

There was a pretty much standard protocol well into the 1960's that Judges were not to show that they were human and pretend that they were befuddled by ordinary type events, there is a case somewhere from the 1960s at the heights of Beatlemania where a Judge makes out he has never heard of this group of "Jazz Musicians" [I think it was the Beatles but it may have been the Stones], but then blows his cover by referring to one of their songs, I honestly don't know just when nor why this started and it always seemed pretty stupid to me.

But don't disagree Stephens appears to have well and truly lost the plot during Florry's trial.
G'day GUT,

Losing it in spades. Oddly enough Stephens keeps flitting into and out of Ripper studies all the time. He was (when more compes mentis) the Judge at the trial in 1887 of Israel Lipski (remember - the man who was the source, perhaps, or that yell of "LIPSKI!" at a Jewish gentleman in the case), and his son is James Kenneth Stephen, the tutor of the Duke of Clarence, who was pushed (no better way of saying it) by Michael Harrison as the actual "Jack the Ripper' in Harrison's "Clarence: Was he Jack the Ripper?".
Like his daddy, James Kenneth (a slightly above-average poet) went bonkers and ended up in an asylum, dying in 1892 - apparently he starved himself to death after hearing of the death of Clarence.

With the Justice the Judge at the trial of poor Florrie for "Jimmy/Jack's?" death Mr. Justice Stephen makes a kind of unwitting trifecta here.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2015, 02:35 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
G'day GUT,

Losing it in spades. Oddly enough Stephens keeps flitting into and out of Ripper studies all the time. He was (when more compes mentis) the Judge at the trial in 1887 of Israel Lipski (remember - the man who was the source, perhaps, or that yell of "LIPSKI!" at a Jewish gentleman in the case), and his son is James Kenneth Stephen, the tutor of the Duke of Clarence, who was pushed (no better way of saying it) by Michael Harrison as the actual "Jack the Ripper' in Harrison's "Clarence: Was he Jack the Ripper?".
Like his daddy, James Kenneth (a slightly above-average poet) went bonkers and ended up in an asylum, dying in 1892 - apparently he starved himself to death after hearing of the death of Clarence.

With the Justice the Judge at the trial of poor Florrie for "Jimmy/Jack's?" death Mr. Justice Stephen makes a kind of unwitting trifecta here.

Jeff
G'day Jeff

A family that never stops...

Giving us something to talk about anyway.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Peter Cook satirised Mr Justice Cantley's summing up in the trial of Liberal Party leader Jeremy Thorpe :

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the site. It was hysterical.

Jeff
Old 03-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post

Seems like a pretty normal summing up to me.

Probably got the poor bugger convicted that's the way it generally works, juries often dislike being told what to do.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:55 PM
Sergeant

There was debate over weather Bond wrote his report on Kelly, some believe it was Hibbert who wrote it. If that's the case then why didn't Bond? Did he dictate to Hibbert? Or was Hibbert the one who actually made the observations and wrote the report?

It is really frustrating that we don't have Baxter's reports, perhaps there is something in there that contradicts 'Bond's' report, after all it wouldn't have been the first time.
Why was Kelly's inquest closed earlier than it should have been? I'm sure that until all the evidence and findings have been presented they don't shut the case. So why shut it so early?
Old 03-03-2015, 11:58 PM
Chief Inspector

In January 1889 Anderson wrote to Monro rather acidly remarking that, in the Rose Mylett (Poplar) case Hibbert had 'unfortunately' in the absence of Bond, taken it upon himself to open a letter from himself to Dr Bond, and had then travelled by himself to do a PM on Rose, without his (Anderson's) knowledge.

(From the Jack the Ripper Sourcebook.)

Although he brushed it off by stating that the next day Bond had verified his assistant's notes, it does make you wonder whether Hibbert was one of the sort of people who take over in trying to be helpful.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:37 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
In January 1889 Anderson wrote to Monro rather acidly remarking that, in the Rose Mylett (Poplar) case Hibbert had 'unfortunately' in the absence of Bond, taken it upon himself to open a letter from himself to Dr Bond, and had then travelled by himself to do a PM on Rose, without his (Anderson's) knowledge.

(From the Jack the Ripper Sourcebook.)

Although he brushed it off by stating that the next day Bond had verified his assistant's notes, it does make you wonder whether Hibbert was one of the sort of people who take over in trying to be helpful.
Helpful, I'm not so sure TBH.

I found this, not sure if it's this is in regards to Bond's assistant but I have an inkling it is:

Echo
London, U.K.
18 October 1888
SPIRITS FOR PAUPERS
WORKHOUSE MASTERS CENSURED

The Local Government Board and the Holborn Board of Guardians have had a slight quarrel. It arose through the inquiry made by the former Board into the abnormal consumption of wines and spirits at the City-road Workhouse, and the retention of the master of the House. The Local Government Board think the Master should not resign; the Guardians think he should. Not satisfied with the official inquiry they instituted one themselves. A report upon this latter inquiry was submitted at last night's meeting. It stated that during the twelve months ended at Michaelmas thirty-three gallons of gin alone were charged for in the Medical relief Book, which had never been ordered by the doctor or supplied to pauper patients. The Master and the Assistant Master were able to explain fictitious entries in the Medical Relief Book, which was said to have been kept by two inmates, one of whom died nine months ago. "The inaccuracies in the Medical Book," they said, "appeared to have been of so grave a nature and so systematically made that they felt no confidence in the persons responsible for the management of the Workhouse, as beyond a systematic fraud and been committed." Hence they recommended the Guardians to call upon Mr. Daniells and Mr. Hibbert to resign. The recommendation was adopted by ten votes to nine, the figures being challenged by some members.

I wonder what other things he has done, may be well worth looking into.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:14 PM
Chief Inspector

Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?
Old 03-05-2015, 07:35 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
Very interesting, Natasha. I wonder where he is in the 1891 Census and the ones following?
I had a quick look on ancestry, but couldn't find anything I can link to this Hibbert for sure. Only that there is a Charles Alfred Hibbert born in Pancras, London in 1841. There seems to be no census records for him.

Perhaps someone else can help us here.