Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - by Elamarna 18 minutes ago.
"The Royal Conspiracy": Annie and Alice Crook photographs. - by GUT 47 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Lechmere Triple Event - by Henry Flower 55 minutes ago.
"The Royal Conspiracy": Annie and Alice Crook photographs. - by Henry Flower 1 hour and 3 minutes ago.
"The Royal Conspiracy": Annie and Alice Crook photographs. - by Simon Wood 8 hours ago.
"The Royal Conspiracy": Annie and Alice Crook photographs. - by harry 8 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Non-Fiction: Deconstructing Jack by Simon Wood - (17 posts)
Audio -- Visual: Exorcist and JTR - (8 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Lechmere Triple Event - (7 posts)
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: The Nature of Evidence - (7 posts)
"The Royal Conspiracy": Annie and Alice Crook photographs. - (5 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausgirl View Post
This has been one of my "pet" cases for the past several years, and I do haunt a few discussion sites - glad to find another venue, particularly here.

Some exciting things that have come about relatively recently include the identification of background sounds in the "Gonna Kill You" call as being dialogue from the film "Breaking Up," which was airing the night of January 2, 1978, when the EAR telephoned the victim.

It may only be a small detail, but in a case this old and frustrating.. well, people here would surely understand how exciting that might be.
That's mindblowing! I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to solve the case or anything, but I remember reading the original thread where people were dissecting the audio. Some speculated that EAR/ONS made the call from a clinic or a hospital because they could hear a woman in the background calling for a doctor. Turns out it was a line from a movie!
Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
That's mindblowing! I mean, in the grand scheme of things it's not going to solve the case or anything, but I remember reading the original thread where people were dissecting the audio. Some speculated that EAR/ONS made the call from a clinic or a hospital because they could hear a woman in the background calling for a doctor. Turns out it was a line from a movie!
It's not yet clear (to my knowledge anyway) as to which end of the line the background dialogue was on, though - EAR's or the victim's - but at least that area of speculation has a definitive answer now.. very exciting!

What's frustrating (but quite understandable) in this case, is that few people are willing to openly discuss suspects, as there's a chance the EAR is still alive and out there somewhere... If he is, I have little no doubt he'd be very computer-savvy and keeping an eye on discussions...I'm sure his ego would demand it.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:49 PM
Commisioner

The gap in murders between 1981 and 1986 bothers me.

I don't see him being in a mental hospital because he probably wouldn't have appeared to be crazy plus, by this time, his stay in that type of facility would have to have been voluntary.

Nor do I see him in prison because I think authorities would have put two and two together regarding a convict inside for that time frame and asked him for a DNA sample by now.

The military is a possibility.

I have wondered if he eventually slowed and quit because his wife or mother found him out and threatened to turn him in if he didn't stop. Maybe the last murder was one he thought he could sneak in.

The other possibility is that he did kill in that interum and the murders were just not recognized because he was in another area or altered his m.o. somewhat.

Stan Reid
Old 04-29-2016, 01:55 AM
Detective

Over Seas? Are there any similar unsolved crimes in other countries during this time period?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:06 AM
Premium Member
Detective

I don't think he ever was identified but if he ever comes on radar there will be DNA evidence. Prince Vlad of Wallachia had a tried and trusted method of dealing with people such as him.

Best regards.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:54 AM
Sergeant

I should have posted this previously. A detailed link which goes over almost every attack. Forget the sites poi aspect, but as far as detailed description of the attacks and m.o. are concerned it is extremely good.

http://www.thequesterfiles.com/html/..._aka_the_.html

btw yesterday Sac Police dept held a press conference on the case. Nothing new of great importance other than an enhanced composite sketch.

edit:

Link to the press conference here:

https://www.facebook.com/KCRA3/video...4273918236514/