Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Discussion: Vincent van Ripper!!!!!!!!! - by GUT 30 minutes ago.
General Discussion: Vincent van Ripper!!!!!!!!! - by miss marple 35 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by richardnunweek 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Varqm 5 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - by Varqm 6 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Hutchinsons statement.... - (19 posts)
General Discussion: New claims Jack the Ripper was noted poet who studied as a priest in the North East - (11 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Joe Barnettīs alibi accepted lightly? - (4 posts)
General Discussion: Two Years of Articles - (4 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Is the first published suspect book overlooked? - (3 posts)
General Discussion: "Red Terror" - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Shades of Whitechapel

Old 04-03-2013, 09:58 PM
Commisioner

The earliest suspected murder was in 1975 and last in 1986 but the final murder excluding the one in 86 was in 1981. Yes, apparently the near miss scared him straight for a bit although there are other possibilities.

Stan Reid
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivkahChaya View Post
Apparently, he was a suspect in some burglaries when no one was home. I've seen "cat burglaries," although I'm not quite sure what the exact distinction is between a cat burglary, and a regular burglary; there's no specific charge you can bring anywhere in the US that I can find called "cat burglary," although "breaking and entering" all by itself can be a crime, even if nothing is stolen or vandalized inside the building, and no one is injured. I think some people mean entering through a roof or window when they say "cat burglary," while other people mean "getting in undetected."

All of the ONS's crimes were committed in one-story houses, from what I can find, although in some cases, he did go through a window.

It does seem, just looking at the list of crimes, that he sneaked around looking for doors or windows left unlocked, and entered that way. He may have gone through windows simply because people who lock their doors may still leave a window unlocked, just because they've forgotten it's open, or because the lock is stuck or broken, and they don't realize it's unlocked. People who live in the suburbs, or small towns don't worry about getting broken locks fixed right away, the way people in big cities do, and that's especially true of homeowners who must fix it themselves, in my experience.

It almost looks like he just liked to play in other people's homes, and went looking for an open "playground": if no one was home, he stole something; if a woman was home he raped her, maybe he killed her; if a couple was home, he raped, tortured, maybe he killed the witness. The patterns are odd, but it may have depended on factors we don't know about, like whether or not he had the whole evening. It's possible that some nights, he was looking to commit burglary, and if he found a woman alone, he raped her. If he found a couple, he killed the man immediately, and raped the woman. Other nights, he may have gone looking to commit rape or torture, and those are the nights he kept the man alive to watch the rape. All that is pure speculation meant to make the point that if all he really wants is just to make other people suffer, he'll have no real "signature."

A lot of things look odd when you have just some of the information, but as soon as you have all of it, it makes perfect sense.
Hi RC
I also heard that one surviving victim say that as he was terrorizing them he was walking around chanting something like "I'm going to kill them" over and over in a low, raspy,growling voice. Similar to the phone call he made to a victim in which he chanted "going to kill you" .

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Superintendent

Interestingly Abby, the serial killer Danny Rolling also used a bike to get about at night when he embarked upon his murderous mission. He of course was on the opposite side of the country (Florida) to The Nightstalker. The timelines for Rolling being the Nightstalker fit though. I'm sure he will have been questioned regarding The Nightstalker crimes.

Regards

Observer
Old 04-04-2013, 01:42 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
Interestingly Abby, the serial killer Danny Rolling also used a bike to get about at night when he embarked upon his murderous mission. He of course was on the opposite side of the country (Florida) to The Nightstalker. The timelines for Rolling being the Nightstalker fit though. I'm sure he will have been questioned regarding The Nightstalker crimes.

Regards

Observer
Hi Observer
They have the nightstalkers DNA, so they would have matched it to Rolling if he was the nightstalker. From what I understand they also run the Nighstalkers DNA(and other unsolved cases where they have the UNSUBS DNA) for matches in DNA to known offenders in the sytem on a regular basis. So far nothing.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Old 04-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Sergeant

Default Got away with it...

It's remarkable isn't it Abby et al. Unfortunately, it shows someone can get away with such atrocities if clever and/or lucky enough. This fellow was quite organized and well prepared. Meticulous I believe was a word used. I suppose the savage would be in his 50's or 60's if alive today...

That's just it, we only know about the ones who are caught. Makes one wonder how many have gotten away? It's awful...

On an unrelated note, and I know I shouldn't bring this up here, but Oh well....there was a horrifying Florida serial killer who rarely gets spoken about. He inspired Ted Bundy, in fact, Bundy copycatted him on a number of occasions. They actually housed the two miscreants together in the Florida State Pen...his numbers tally about 34 although he claims up to 80....Bundy was incensed that he didn't own the Title...his name is Gerard John Schaeffer I think...a terrifying psychopath...anyway, he was locked up before the Nightstalker began his work but a mention of Florida just brought him to my mind.....

Anyway, sorry for diverging....I do wonder if anyone saw anything concerning the nightstalker that they haven't revealed that could be the key to his capture.......?

Greg
Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM
Superintendent

Hi Greg and Abby

Didn't realise they had this man's DNA, the Night Stalker thast is. As Greg implies he must be in his 50's or 60's by now. Considering the severity of the attacks, I'm surprised they dont perform blanket DNA testing in these cases. I know the logistics of this type of testing is enormous, and very costly, but I think it should be carried out, whatever the cost. As Greg has said it's awful when these monsters get away with murder, imagine how the relatives of those poor people must feel

Regards

Observer
Old 04-07-2013, 01:23 AM
Inspector

Well, first of all, the DNA was recovered from stored evidence. The last crime was in 1986, before DNA was being used to identify criminals, and the ONS had taken a break before that. I don't know when DNA was collected, nor from which batch of evidence (that is, which case), but it may have been a case from the 1970s or early 80s, that wasn't processed until 25 years later. There would be no point in doing a sweep of the area.

The first US case to use DNA evidence, FWIW, was in 1987, which was the same year that the human genome project was first proposed. I'm not sure at what point it took a mere cheek swab to do a DNA test, but at one point, the test was more invasive, requiring a blood sample (immature blood cells have a nucleus, IIRC).

Anyway, in the US, a person cannot be compelled to give a DNA sample unless they have already been convicted of a crime. Virginia had a law allowing people who had merely been arrested to be tested, but it was up for Supreme Court review, the last I heard. The exception in people in the military; anyone who has been in the US military since, I believe, 2001, although I may be wrong, has DNA on file.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Chief Inspector

*bump*

Been getting into this case recently, after listening to the chilling voicemail he left one of his victims. Not for the faint-hearted: https://youtu.be/jdElYnd-xMo
Old 08-18-2015, 07:25 AM
Commisioner

The profile, for whatever it's worth, says he started when he was about 26 which would mean he was born around 1950. If so, he could have been a Vietnam War veteran and if not must have been deffered, drew a high number in the lottery or was judged unfit for some reason.

Stan Reid
Old 08-18-2015, 01:30 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreid View Post
The profile, for whatever it's worth, says he started when he was about 26 which would mean he was born around 1950. If so, he could have been a Vietnam War veteran and if not must have been deffered, drew a high number in the lottery or was judged unfit for some reason.
Yes, I have a hunch that he was probably ex-military.

One of the strangest things I read about the case is how he took his dog with him to some of the homes. Maybe it's just me that seems like a bizarre thing for a serial killer/rapist to do. It would be more of a hindrance than anything? Unless he was using it as a watchdog in case someone came into the house while he was doing his thing?