Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Sam Flynn 1 minute ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 20 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 24 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (19 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (3 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2016, 04:09 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elamarna View Post
Hi Joshua

this was discussed in some detail in Gavin Bromley's article on Mitre Square in Ripperologist #74, and I don't think there was a clear answer.

not read the article in sometime, so may be worth having a look.

Steve
Thanks for the pointer Steve. Any chance you (or anyone) could provide a link? For some reason my browser refuses to let me see the older issues...
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:10 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Does that work the other way around? That is, if the original PO isn't listed in the 1888 register, it must have moved by 24th March 1888?
The 1888 register covers the timeframe March/April 1888 to March 24th 1889. In the 1889 register there is a notation 'Reclaimed from 29 Sept 1889' in the value colums and also the date 23 March 89 is noted so it looks like the property owner was exempt between those two dates at least?
Old 12-20-2016, 12:24 PM
Inspector

Hmmm. Thanks Debs.... I just wish I was fiscally savvy enough to know what that meant.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:44 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Hmmm. Thanks Debs.... I just wish I was fiscally savvy enough to know what that meant.
I don't have a clue either other than it seems to be saying 19/20 Aldgate was not in use from the start of the tax year March/April 89 until Sept 1889, when it was excempt from tax. The full amount was payable March/April 88 until March/April 89 though so I am guessing it was occupied the whole of 88 in that case? Just a guess though.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:18 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
I don't have a clue either other than it seems to be saying 19/20 Aldgate was not in use from the start of the tax year March/April 89 until Sept 1889, when it was excempt from tax. The full amount was payable March/April 88 until March/April 89 though so I am guessing it was occupied the whole of 88 in that case? Just a guess though.
Oh, I'm confused - I thought your earlier post said that 19/20 Aldgate was only listed for 1887?
There's something about the mere mention of tax affairs that muddles my brain.

The only mentions of the robbery I've found so far (albeit seemingly all from the same source) refer to the Post Office address as High Street, Aldgate. Which, if the old PO was in Aldgate, seems to point to the robbery taking place at the relocated site...?
Old 12-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Inspector

The Star 1st Oct describes it as;

"Aldgate Post-office, the back part of which looks out on the scene of the murder"

This seems somewhat optimistic, since neither building has anything like a view of Mitre Square, as far as the maps show.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:04 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
The Star 1st Oct describes it as;

"Aldgate Post-office, the back part of which looks out on the scene of the murder"

This seems somewhat optimistic, since neither building has anything like a view of Mitre Square, as far as the maps show.
Correct, "Aldgate Post Office" is the address at 19/20 Aldgate, but it's a bit of a stretch to say you can view the murder sight from there.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:59 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Oh, I'm confused - I thought your earlier post said that 19/20 Aldgate was only listed for 1887?
There's something about the mere mention of tax affairs that muddles my brain.

The only mentions of the robbery I've found so far (albeit seemingly all from the same source) refer to the Post Office address as High Street, Aldgate. Which, if the old PO was in Aldgate, seems to point to the robbery taking place at the relocated site...?
I just posted what was in the land tax records at 19/20 Aldgate and mentioned the 88 entry did not have 'postmaster general' alongside Eliza Jones in 88 like it did in 87 (crossed through in 87) Eliza was still listed at 19/20 in 88. Was she the post mistress? Or was she the tobbacconist that also occupied the building? I was just relating what the Land Tax Records say to try and help.

Gav's articles are Rip 74 and 75 btw.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:00 PM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra A View Post
I just posted what was in the land tax records at 19/20 Aldgate and mentioned the 88 entry did not have 'postmaster general' alongside Eliza Jones in 88 like it did in 87 (crossed through in 87) Eliza was still listed at 19/20 in 88. Was she the post mistress? Or was she the tobbacconist that also occupied the building? I was just relating what the Land Tax Records say to try and help.

Gav's articles are Rip 74 and 75 btw.
My mistake, I got confused. But even if I don't always understand your posts right away, I always appreciate them.
Old 12-23-2016, 05:58 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
My mistake, I got confused. But even if I don't always understand your posts right away, I always appreciate them.
No worries, Joshua. I find the land tax records just as confusing and frustrating sometimes. Although I did manage to find the name of the person listed at 29 Aldgate High Street in 1888 the other day, showing the address does seem to have existed in 88. This is the address Eddowes was arrested outside the evening before her death. A William Hatterley, ironmonger was listed there in 1888. Interestingly a cousin of Thomas Cutbush was listed with a business three doors down at #30!