Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - by Sam Flynn 1 minute ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 20 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 24 minutes ago.
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - by Abby Normal 1 hour and 15 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by jerryd 1 hour and 18 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - by Robert St Devil 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Shades of Whitechapel: Caught!? Long Island Serial Killer suspect - (19 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Same motive = same killer - (6 posts)
Kosminski, Aaron: My theory on Kosminski - (3 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Baxter's influence on Ripper lore - (3 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Possible reason for Hutch coming forward - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: How about the "Bad Cop" ??? - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2017, 02:07 AM
Sergeant

Yes Harry. Father Connolly did. He is responsible for the creation of the Francis Thompson Room at Burns Library in Boston College. Connolly's history with the poet is detailed in my book.

"Jack the Ripper, The Works of Francis Thompson"

http://www.francisjthompson.com/
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Patterson View Post
Thanks for all the links Pc Dunn.
Here is my entry on Francis Thompson. Perhaps you could find which links you gave contradicts the following.

"Francis Thompson in 1888. He was an ex-medical student with a dissecting scalpel, and a history of mental illness and trouble with the police. He had just broken up with a prostitute and had written about cutting women's stomachs open. At the same time, a few yards from his refuge, a woman was knifed, as part of a spate of prostitute murders, which one coroner said was by someone who had considerable anatomical skill and knowledge."
Neither of the encyclopeida articles mention more than Thompson lived in destitution for a time on the streets of Whitechapel. I know he mentions having used a scalpel to shave with in a letter. I know you think you have proof of the trouble with the police and his mental illness, but I have not encountered other sources which state this. The poem you mention about the cutting open of womens' stomachs was unpublished-- how did you learn of it?

Why do you persist in harassing this great poet?
---------------
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM
Superintendent

"Ripperologists" don't care whose legacy they drag through the mud, be it a famous poet or a humble carman.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:41 PM
Constable

Is the poem about "cutting women's stomachs open" "The Nightmare of the Witch Babies"? If so, I'm clearly reading very differently from you.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdunn View Post
Neither of the encyclopeida articles mention more than Thompson lived in destitution for a time on the streets of Whitechapel. I know he mentions having used a scalpel to shave with in a letter. I know you think you have proof of the trouble with the police and his mental illness, but I have not encountered other sources which state this. The poem you mention about the cutting open of womens' stomachs was unpublished-- how did you learn of it?

Why do you persist in harassing this great poet?
That Thompson was mentally comes from various sources, all detailed in my book. That Thompson had troubles with the police is also detailed in my book and sources are given. Many biographies, on Thompson give details of his unpublished poems. I also read the Thompson's unpublished works, including this poem, when I researched in Boston College. I persist in harassing this great poet, because at the time of Kelly's murder her was living opposite the end of her street, in Spitalsfields. The only reason he gave was that he was seeking out a prostitute and he had medical skills and he wrote that he was carrying a dissecting scalpel. Anyone, who is interested in the solving the Ripper case, should want to know more about this man. Whether he was a great poet is beside the point and to ignore him on those grounds seems unreasonable.

Old 05-20-2017, 02:46 AM
Superintendent

That Francis Thompson was an ex-medical student doesn't support him as the Ripper, as the medical consensus was undecided on the anatomical knowledge of the killer. Some of them opined that a mere hunter or a butcher could've inflicted the mutilations.

Thompson possessed a surgical scalpel? Again, what does this prove? Many men back then carried knives and blades about them. And it was hypothesized that the killer's weapon of choice was a thin, long-bladed weapon. That doesn't describe a surgeon's scalpel, does it?

Thompson had his heart broken by a prostitute and was motivated by revenge. Sounds good, but it's a reductionist approach at breaking down a serial killer's motivation. Many tortured artists/poets/writers have inner-demons. What percentage of them become serial killers? Also, I'm sure I read on here that the story about the prostitute was appropriated by Thompson or misattributed to him?

Thompson lived in Spitalfields during the killings? So did a lot of men.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:27 AM
Inspector

Quote:
That Thompson was mentally comes from various sources, all detailed in my book. That Thompson had troubles with the police is also detailed in my book and sources are given. Many biographies, on Thompson give details of his unpublished poems. I also read the Thompson's unpublished works, including this poem, when I researched in Boston College. I persist in harassing this great poet, because at the time of Kelly's murder her was living opposite the end of her street, in Spitalsfields. The only reason he gave was that he was seeking out a prostitute and he had medical skills and he wrote that he was carrying a dissecting scalpel. Anyone, who is interested in the solving the Ripper case, should want to know more about this man. Whether he was a great poet is beside the point and to ignore him on those grounds seems unreasonable.
Richard,

Have you been able to locate the original Catholics in Darkest England article which mentions the Providence Row refuge?

Gary
Old 05-20-2017, 03:47 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
That Francis Thompson was an ex-medical student doesn't support him as the Ripper, as the medical consensus was undecided on the anatomical knowledge of the killer. Some of them opined that a mere hunter or a butcher could've inflicted the mutilations.

Thompson possessed a surgical scalpel? Again, what does this prove? Many men back then carried knives and blades about them. And it was hypothesized that the killer's weapon of choice was a thin, long-bladed weapon. That doesn't describe a surgeon's scalpel, does it?

Thompson had his heart broken by a prostitute and was motivated by revenge. Sounds good, but it's a reductionist approach at breaking down a serial killer's motivation. Many tortured artists/poets/writers have inner-demons. What percentage of them become serial killers? Also, I'm sure I read on here that the story about the prostitute was appropriated by Thompson or misattributed to him?

Thompson lived in Spitalfields during the killings? So did a lot of men.
I doubt that Thompson's six-years of medical training, in which he learned new techniques of organ removal, would have hurt his prospects if he were the Ripper. That you find medical training in a suspect irrelevant, when arguments of whether the Ripper had medical skill continue to this day, mystifying.

Equally mysterious is that you see nothing in the proximity of this suspect to the crimes. Also that you make no connection between the fact that Thompson said he carried an instrument used to dissect and remove human organs, and that the Ripper’s victims had their organs removed. That this suspect was seeking, on the streets, a woman of the very profession that the Ripper was killing matters nothing to you. It neither matters to you that he wrote, before the murders, of disembowelment and mutilation.

Tell me if I am wrong Harry, but it seems that if you met a man on the street, in 1888, Spitalfields who had training in organ removal, who told you he was carrying a dissecting knife. You would let him wander on his way. Even though if you also knew that his only reason to be there was his prolonged search to find a prostitute who had fled him. The same profession the Ripper was seeking.

It is all a matter of perspective. Some might say I am harassing a great poet, while some might say others are defending Jack the Ripper. I have no idea if Thompson was the Ripper but I know what I think of people who can't see the forest for the trees.

I am happy to harass Thompson here. I'm happy to do it in Spitalfields, as this clip from the upcoming documentary on my theory, which I provide a link here, shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gGLDun6yjM&t=73s

Old 05-20-2017, 03:50 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarnett View Post
Richard,

Have you been able to locate the original Catholics in Darkest England article which mentions the Providence Row refuge?

Gary
Yes. It it can be found in the January 1891 edition of the Merry England magazine. There is a copy in the British Library.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:58 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Yes. It it can be found in the January 1891 edition of the Merry England magazine. There is a copy in the British Library.
Yes, I was aware that it was in that edition of Merry England, but I haven't been able to find it online. Do you have a transcript of the section concerning the Refuge which you could post for us?