Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Fisherman 22 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 24 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Joshua Rogan 25 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Why doubt a soldier murdered Tabram? - by Michael W Richards 47 minutes ago.
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - by Jon Guy 50 minutes ago.
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - by caz 56 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: Acquiring A Victorian Diary - (30 posts)
Tumblety, Francis: Tumblety - Hermaphrodite. - (11 posts)
General Discussion: Collaboration on Mitre Square and GSG? - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: A theory about some injuries! - (6 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Was Ernest Dowson Jack the Ripper? - (5 posts)
Shades of Whitechapel: Centenaries - whole and half - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 05-07-2017, 05:53 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Actually the link I posted states John Davis was living with his wife and three sons. The daughter is the only one not mentioned living there at the time. Whether that information is accurate or not, I don't know.
Mmm, checking his inquest testimony, he does say himself that he lived with his wife and three sons, so probably accurate.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
Thanks Steve. It's hardly ground-breaking research, but I thought it might be useful (for me, if for no-one else) to know who was where.
I initially put it together jotting down bits of info from press reports as and when I came across them, usually whilst looking for something else. I will go through it again thoroughly when I get the chance, as it seems some of the reports I used weren't the most accurate.
Joshua,

True it might not be ground breaking or research that shouts out look at me, nevertheless it is very useful. So often these details are scattered over many books, posts or press articles to put them together is a great idea and a useful tool if you complete it to your satisfaction.

Steve
Old 05-08-2017, 01:32 AM
Superintendent

Hi JR

Some extra details I have:

Quote:
Ground floor rear room: living space for Mrs Hardiman and her son.
Amelia Richardson used this back, ground floor room for prayer meetings.
There was a meeting held in that room the night before the murder.
Mrs Richardson`s grandson and Mrs Hardiman`s son were going to sleep in that room Friday night but were creeped out by something and decided not to do so.

Quote:
First floor rear: Mr Walker, maker of tennis shoes, and his son.
James Walker 65yrs old, and his son, 31 year old, Alfred.

Quote:
Third floor rear: Mrs Sarah Cox, an old lady, kept out of charity (i.e. rent-free, presumably)
Name was actually Wilcox.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:07 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Amelia Richardson used this back, ground floor room for prayer meetings.
There was a meeting held in that room the night before the murder.
Mrs Richardson`s grandson and Mrs Hardiman`s son were going to sleep in that room Friday night but were creeped out by something and decided not to do so.
Thanks Jon!
I've not read about anyone being freaked out about the back room, do you know the source? The only thing I've read (so far) is that it was locked up at 9:30pm and still locked the next morning.
Mrs Richardson by her own words only rented "half the house" so didn't sublet to the other tenants - bedrom, basement workshop and yard, and the ground floor rear room which was used as a kitchen. Her Friday prayer meetings were held either in that room or the bedroom, depending on which paper you believe.

Quote:
James Walker 65yrs old, and his son, 31 year old, Alfred.
Walker's son was said to be weak-minded but harmless.

Quote:
Name was actually Wilcox.
That could have been my fault....I may have been listening to the radio whilst typing.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:33 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Thanks Jon!
I've not read about anyone being freaked out about the back room, do you know the source? The only thing I've read (so far) is that it was locked up at 9:30pm and still locked the next morning.
Mrs Richardson by her own words only rented "half the house" so didn't sublet to the other tenants - bedrom, basement workshop and yard, and the ground floor rear room which was used as a kitchen. Her Friday prayer meetings were held either in that room or the bedroom, depending on which paper you believe.

Walker's son was said to be weak-minded but harmless.

That could have been my fault....I may have been listening to the radio whilst typing.
Hi JR

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."
Echo 10th Sept 88

I`ve never been able to trace a Mrs Cox living at 29 Hanbury Street, but in either the 1881 or 1891 census there is an old lady called Sarah Wilcox (who I assume to be our Mrs Cox)

Robert Thomson is the resident with the least info about him.
Do you have any details on him ?
Old 05-09-2017, 08:10 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Hi JR

Mrs. Richardson, who superintends a packing-case business carried on at the back of the premises, says that, strangely enough her grandson, Charles Cooksey, was to have slept in the back room on Friday night; but he told her he did not like to, remarking, "I shan't sleep in there to-night, granny." That room, on the ground-floor, within six feet of where Annie Chapman's body lay, was unoccupied. "Had my grandson slept there," said Mrs. Richardson, "he must have heard the miscreant kill the poor woman."
Echo 10th Sept 88
A few random observations following on from the above:

It would have been invaluable for the killer of Chapman to know that the room six feet away was unoccupied on that particular night. If the door was locked from the outside, someone was in possession of the key. The fact that the door was locked in the morning does not preclude the possibility of its being opened and re-locked during the night. Could the cellar only be accessed from the yard or was there an internal access also - if so where was it?
Old 05-09-2017, 11:18 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Hi JR

Echo 10th Sept 88
Nice one! There's that reference to her grandson as Charles Cooksey again, when she said he was Thomas Richardson. But interestingly enough, the two unmarried sisters on the second floor who made cigars were possibly called Cooksley...or Huxley, or even Mr & Mrs Copsey in one report.

Quote:
I`ve never been able to trace a Mrs Cox living at 29 Hanbury Street, but in either the 1881 or 1891 census there is an old lady called Sarah Wilcox (who I assume to be our Mrs Cox)
All the mentions I've seen so far say Cox, but then they're all from Mrs Richardson's evidence. Seems likely they're one and the same though.

Quote:
Nothing so far, except that he was a carman (or carpenter) and lived with his wife and an adopted young girl.

Last edited by Joshua Rogan : 05-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
A few random observations following on from the above:

It would have been invaluable for the killer of Chapman to know that the room six feet away was unoccupied on that particular night. If the door was locked from the outside, someone was in possession of the key. The fact that the door was locked in the morning does not preclude the possibility of its being opened and re-locked during the night. Could the cellar only be accessed from the yard or was there an internal access also - if so where was it?
No idea about the cellar, but would presume Mrs Richardson had the padlock key. She does say that she locked the back parlour and took the key with her, so realistically only her or her grandson could have had access, and she was awake half the night.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:54 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Hi JR

Echo 10th Sept 88

Interesting stuff. I say John Richardson is the best Ripper suspect, he put himself there on the spot at the time of the murder with a knife and he lies about it. Very strange that the grandson chose not to sleep in the room. Was the boy John Richardson's nephew? I think it's suspicious and the kid knew something