Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 35 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 46 minutes ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Trevor Marriott 1 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - by John G 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: General Victoriana - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Maybrick, James: 25 YEARS OF THE DIARY OF JACK THE RIPPER: THE TRUE FACTS by Robert Smith - (86 posts)
Goulston Street Graffito: The GSG - Did Jack write it? POLL - (14 posts)
Annie Chapman: Annie's scarf - (11 posts)
General Discussion: General Victoriana - (7 posts)
Feigenbaum, Carl: A Likely Suspect? - (7 posts)
Witnesses: Israel Schwartz - new information - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Bury, W.H.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
That may be Bobby Joe Long you are thinking of. Others have done just about the same, like Peter Kürten.

But if we are to identify serialists by illogical and irrational behavior, resulting in large incinsistencies, we will not get far, Harry. What´s your angle? "If it does not seem to be true, it can be anyway?"
My "angle" is that we cannot state unequivocally what the killer would've done when we have no idea who he was. For example, people often dismiss Bury because the mutilations he inflicted weren't as extensive as the Whitechapel victims, instead of focusing on the fact he mutilated his wife in the first place. Something that could be described as a rare paraphilia for a killer to have. Then we have to factor in that Bury did live on the outskirts of Whitechapel during the murders. Two miles isn't far to walk (notwithstanding his horse and cart), and it puts a safe distance between Bury's home and the killing field. Bury was a drinker who was known to go missing for days, and it stands to reason that such a man would visit one of the sleazier parts of the East End for debauchery. So we have a man who cannot be geographically ruled out, with a known violent temperament, who left London under false pretenses after 1888, and committed a Ripper-esque murder at his new home. I know none of this convinces you, because you have your own "angle" as it were, but I'm not going to let the inexact science of criminal profiling to dissuade me from what is a very compelling suspect.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:46 AM
Commisioner

Harry D: My "angle" is that we cannot state unequivocally what the killer would've done when we have no idea who he was.

Oh, but I DO have an idea who he was. A very good one. And it´s not Bury.

For example, people often dismiss Bury because the mutilations he inflicted weren't as extensive as the Whitechapel victims, instead of focusing on the fact he mutilated his wife in the first place.

So how do you stand on how the torso killer and the Ripper inflicted the same type of mutilations, both of them differing in the same manner from what Bury did?

Something that could be described as a rare paraphilia for a killer to have.

Indeed - not to mention how rare it would be to have TWO killers inflicting the exact same type of mutilations!

Then we have to factor in that Bury did live on the outskirts of Whitechapel during the murders. Two miles isn't far to walk (notwithstanding his horse and cart), and it puts a safe distance between Bury's home and the killing field.

Yes, let´s factor that in. How many people did live on these outskirts, by the way?

Bury was a drinker who was known to go missing for days, and it stands to reason that such a man would visit one of the sleazier parts of the East End for debauchery.

Does that follow? I never knew. Were there no pubs and prostitution nearer to his home? Or was Whitechapel a more likely place for a drunken man to go to, than to his local pubs and prostitutes?

So we have a man who cannot be geographically ruled out, with a known violent temperament, who left London under false pretenses after 1888, and committed a Ripper-esque murder at his new home.

A somewhat Ripperesque murder, Harry. Rather slightly somewhat so. A really Ripperesque murder does not involve the Mrs, but it DOES involve a cut neck and innards taken away, plus the murder is committed elsewhere than in the killers home. For starters.

I know none of this convinces you, because you have your own "angle" as it were, but I'm not going to let the inexact science of criminal profiling to dissuade me from what is a very compelling suspect.

I won´t take Bury off your hands, Harry. You are welcome to him, for reasons mentioned above.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
He still couldn't resist mutilating her body to some extent
To a very minor extent. Besides, mutilation is one thing, deliberately removing organs is quite another.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 02-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Yes, we can always play the "he-broke-down-and-we-should-not-expect-any-logic-at-all-card". I am a bit unused to it, since it is always demanded from me to present a completely logical, rational and optimized action plan for Lechmere.
You never do present anything logical as regards Lechmere though.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Chief Inspector

How is a proven wife murderer with an almost identical M.O. to Jack eg Strangulation followed by post mortem mutilation not a better suspect than a random witness who found a body?
Old 02-12-2017, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Because he isn't.

Simple as that.

There could be tens of Bury, anyone in London who stabbed his wife in her abdomen...

But no one of them, and give your attention here, NO ONE of them, could be placed at any crime scene, at the frame time of the murder...

Rainbow°
Old 02-12-2017, 01:22 PM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
Because he isn't.

Simple as that.

There could be tens of Bury, anyone in London who stapped his wife in her abdomen...

But no one of them, and give your attention here, NO ONE of them, could be placed at any crime scene, at the frame time of the murder...

Rainbow°
Can you cite other examples of London perpetrators of the period who stabbed their wife in the abdomen?