Who was PC10 Kirley?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was PC10 Kirley?

The Ripper and the Royals by Melvyn Fairclough page22. Names him in Insp Spratlings report following the Nichols murder. Not come across this name before, has anyone else ever heard of him? Should this in fact be PS Kirby?

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
    Should this in fact be PS Kirby?
    Seems like a reasonable conclusion. The transcription of Spratling's report 31st August in the Ultimate JTR Companion certainly says P.S.10.Kirby

Comment

Morning all,

Just passing this along from K.Skinner;

I’ve asked James if he could smuggle this post on to this thread whilst I await approval from the Administrators of my application to become a member of Casebook.

The Complete Jack The Ripper A To Z (2010 edition) gives the following entry:-

KIRBY, SERGEANT HENRY (b. 1854)

Born in London. Joined the Metropolitan Police in 1874 (S Division). Warrant no. 57839). Promoted to Sergeant and transferred to K Division in 1884. Transferred to newly formed J Division, July 1888.

Reduced to constable and transferred to S Division for improperly drinking in a public house with a constable while on duty, 27 October 1888. Transferred to H Division 31 October 1888.

Reinforced constables Thain and Mizen at Mary Ann Nichols’ body. Kerby [sic] arrived on the spot while Dr Llewellyn was making his examination.

(See Bernard Brown, ‘The Rise and Fall of Sergeant Kirby’, Ripperologist, May 2003.)

Best Wishes, KS

Now you're looking for the secret, but you won't find it, because of course, you're not really looking. You want to be fooled.

Comment

Originally posted by James_J View Post
        Morning all,

Just passing this along from K.Skinner;

I’ve asked James if he could smuggle this post on to this thread whilst I await approval from the Administrators of my application to become a member of Casebook.

The Complete Jack The Ripper A To Z (2010 edition) gives the following entry:-

KIRBY, SERGEANT HENRY (b. 1854)

Born in London. Joined the Metropolitan Police in 1874 (S Division). Warrant no. 57839). Promoted to Sergeant and transferred to K Division in 1884. Transferred to newly formed J Division, July 1888.

Reduced to constable and transferred to S Division for improperly drinking in a public house with a constable while on duty, 27 October 1888. Transferred to H Division 31 October 1888.

Reinforced constables Thain and Mizen at Mary Ann Nichols’ body. Kerby [sic] arrived on the spot while Dr Llewellyn was making his examination.

(See Bernard Brown, ‘The Rise and Fall of Sergeant Kirby’, Ripperologist, May 2003.)

Best Wishes, KS
        that’s pre- pdf, and actually not easy to lay ones hands on, shame would be interesting to read it

Steve

Comment

A typo by the author or publisher, then as apposed to Spratling not knowing his men’s names ranks and collar numbers. That is a relief!

With regards to the information on Kirby’s service that is really interesting!!! Will have to see if I can track down a copy of that article.

Comment

Working...
          X