• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wigngown View Post
    Thanks Fleetwood Mac.
    Best regards.
    No bother mate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      People have wondered whether he was in the horse slaughtering or butchering or meat handling trades. Plenty of blood and gore there and no work uniform as such to protect workers' everyday clothing.
      Hi Rosella,
      I wouldn't have thought there would be a work uniform for slaughterers either, but came across an article today that points to at least some of them wearing one. This is from the Star 1st Oct, as their reporter visits the murder sites the night after the double event;

"There were six people in the square all told, but no one was making any noise. Presently footsteps were heard coming along the narrow passage leading from the other square, and when the newcomers appeared, their blue jackets and white aprons discovered their calling at once, and one could not escape thought that here was evidence that SLAUGHTERERS were not strangers to Mitre-square"

Comment

• Blue jackets too! Very smart! I wonder whether that was standard wear in all horse slaughterers though, or just the main ones? The reporter who interviewed Tomkins and co. (of Bucks Row fame) didn't mention jackets, although I'd imagine that aprons were pretty well compulsory in that line of work.

Comment

• Originally posted by wigngown View Post
          Quote 'It probably helped more that in those days the people didn't particularly like or respect the polis and so witnesses were less likely to go to them'

Do you not think those people would have told the Vigilance Committee, if not the Police, had they known anything?

Best regards.
          Not meaning to ignore your question, but don't really know enough about the Vigilance Committee (a sort of "Neighborhood Watch" group, or more of the KKK type?) to know if people would trust them.
          But my guess is-- no, probably not.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Working...
          X